Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisg19

Reebok 11K Skate Durability Issues

I have been a big proponent of the Reebok 11k Skates. These have been a fantastic skate for me but unfortunately I believe the skates have a serious flaw. I bought these skates back in May of '10, and have nothing but praise for the performance of the skates until about 60 days ago. First I noticed that in my left skate the pump began losing air, it was intermittent, sometimes it held air, other times it would leak, and be flat by the end of a game. They were not inflated during heating, and have always been taken care of. Before anyone asks, these skates were heat fitted at the dealership I purchased them from. I contacted customer service, and the person I spoke with was very nice, but informed me that I was outside the warranty period, and the pump issue was mine to deal with. Not too pleased with the answer, but the skate fit so well, I figured I would just over look it, and deal with it. I am 46 years old, and play 2 -3 times a week, and Ref on weekends. My skates get a lot of use, but the reality is my playing days are a lot slower than they once were, and there is no way I put these skates through what a competitive athlete would.

A little while ago I read a review of these skates on Hockey Monkey, and I came across the following:

comfortable but not durable

By hockeyG from colorado on 12/17/2010

Bottom Line:

No, I would not recommend this to a friend

Comments about Reebok 11K Pump Sr. Ice Hockey Skates:

the material on the reebok logo on the quarter package of the skate cracked open to reveal the inside of the skate after 3 months of use

Wasn't really sure what he meant by that, but unfortunately now I know....

1160036783_uBJfb-M.jpg

The above is a photo of my left skate with a crack in the same location as the reviewer described above. I attempted to epoxy the skate so I could continue to use them Reffing, but the epoxy was not strong enough to hold it.

1160036923_zdR4X-M.jpg

This is a photo of my right skate. The crack is present on this skate also. Although it is tough to see in the photo, it is there, though not as fully formed yet as the left skate.

Bottom line, this is not how a top of the line skate should look after 7 months of use.

Thank you for the update. I am getting new skates in a few weeks, and I was stuck between the Reebok 11k, and the CCM U+CL. I was always leary of an air pump in a skate and this has turned me off of Reebok for years. I did see the white 11k at my LHS, and I fell in love with it's looks and the fit on my foot. I have been seeing that these skates are getting great reviews, but was leaning more to the CCM's for the stiffer ankle, I am 6'2 245lbs, and the lack of any air pumps or other mechanical things built into the skate. I am still undecided on what I will buy, but I am glad to see more information coming out about the 2 pairs of skates I am considering. I do think skate companies should provide longer warranties on the boots though, nothing crazy like a lifetime or 5 years, but I think $600.00 merits at least a 1 year warranty for structural failures, which is what that boot looks like to me.

Thank you for the update. I am getting new skates in a few weeks, and I was stuck between the Reebok 11k, and the CCM U+CL.

I looked at the U+CL's, and really like them, but my understanding is they are very different boots. The CCM is really stiff, whereas the 11K had quite a bit of flexibility (probably the reason for the failure). I liked the flexibility of the 11K, after having had really stiff boots in the past. I'm not sure where to go now.

I looked at the U+CL's, and really like them, but my understanding is they are very different boots. The CCM is really stiff, whereas the 11K had quite a bit of flexibility (probably the reason for the failure). I liked the flexibility of the 11K, after having had really stiff boots in the past. I'm not sure where to go now.

I had the old Bauer Supreme 7000 TPS(9.5EE-punched out in forefoot) boot in college and after. I moved to Phoenix and stopped playing for a long time. I left my bag in the garage for a couple of summers, and when I started to play again, the boots were baked out, with the ankle padding reset(so it seems). I still love them dispite their weight, but every time I would skate the ankle padding would dig a hole in my ankle, then I was out for 2 to three weeks letting it heal. I bought a cheap pair of one 60s which have no support in comparison. My old Bauers were and are extremely stiff and I could throw all my weight on the boot wall in turns or on turning shots. I can not do this with the 60s. They are a good skate, just not made for my big stature and skating style. But they served their purpose in getting me back on the ice several times a week. So, I am hoping the CCM will be similar in the stiffness that I prefer. The Reeboks got me on board due to their looking like my old Sport Tacks from way back in the 90s, I loved the old Tacks skates, plus when I tried them on, they were really comfortable. I just hate the idea of a pump that is completely not needed and prone to breaking over time. I also think that flex they built into them may be the possible cause of that failure. I am a big guy,(6'2 240lbs) and I would probably have the same result if I go with them. I am leaning even further to CCM the more I think about it.

I liked the flexibility of the 11K, after having had really stiff boots in the past. I'm not sure where to go now.

Maybe a lesser model of another skate will provide you with the flex you want. The One 60s I have are holding up well, but just too much flex for me. Perhaps a model or two down from the top end "cement boots" they are making now will work? I feel bad for you, sounds like you love the 11k's and now this happened.