Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
lefty57

Warrior Projekt Gloves

Warrior Projekt Gloves, 2011 Model

Size : 14"

Time Used: 5 months (once/twice a week beer league)

Received from JR for review

Fit:

The 14” Projekt glove fit very well the first time I tried them on. My hands conformed well to the anatomical “Bone System” offered by Warrior. I have average size fingers and the glove is snug, so I would caution those with large fingers that this glove might be a little tight for you. My only complaint is the length; the 14” are a bit short for me and me and leave too much arm exposed between the elbow pad and the glove.

9/10

Weight & Mobility:

The segmented cuff allows for excellent flexibility when stickhandling and shooting. Warrior calls this the “floating wave cuff roll”, attaching the cuff with elastic for extra mobility. Playing defense, I tend to use my slapshot a lot and found no impingement on shooting or following through with the Projekt. I like the limited flexibility of the thumb, as it will flex forward as far as need be but will only lock moving backward to prevent a tendon injury. The weight of the Projekt is a non-issue to me; I don’t have the specs, but would guess this glove weighs slightly less than my Sande Max Pros.

9.5/10

Protection:

When JR first showed me the gloves, he had me put them on and then two-handed me in the back of the glove in a similar fashion to this:

I didn’t feel a thing either and after several slapshots and slashes to the back of the gloves in games, still believe the protection offered by this glove is second to none. As far as the thumb, I have not been hit there that I know of but I suspect the protection is more than ample.

10/10 – I believe this is the strongest selling point for the Projekt

Durability:

After 5 months of use, I see some slight pilling on the inside of the fingers. Other than that, there are no loose seams, no fraying, no padding has moved, and no discoloration anywhere. The palms have none of the black tape discoloration I would have expected from the tops of my sticks, although I do tend to grip my stick lightly.

9.5/10

Palm:

The palm is constructed using differing thickness Clarino panels. To me as an average stick-handler, I can’t notice a difference here between the Projekts and my previous gloves. Better for a more experienced player to jump in here ….

I can say that the palms have held up wonderfully so far with no tears and no marks to speak of.

?/10

Ventilation

I have found that I sweat so little in the Projekt glove, that it’s hard to believe I have actually played a whole game. These gloves ventilate extremely well, attributable to the mesh gussets on the fingers and thumb and ventilator micro-perforated lining. After 5 months of use, there is no smell at all in the gloves.

10/10

Aesthetics :

The Projekt to me is a visually pleasing glove and the pair loaned to me just happen to match my team colors. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some will prefer the looks of other gloves at or around the same pricepoint.

9/10

Overall:

The Projekt is a fabulous glove and I highly recommend it to those it fits. It is priced higher than I would normally spend on a glove at a MSRP of $179, but is money well l spent for the protection alone.

9.5/10

First off let me just say I'm happy to be part of the group here at MSH, love the articles and reviews I've read on here! So here's my first crack at a gear review, my new gloves;

Warrior Projekt Gloves, '11 model

Size: 14"

Time used: 2 months (Tier II Junior A)

Fit:

Right out of the box these just felt right at home on my hands. I was expecting almost a lacrosse style glove, but these are much different, and have a pretty unique fit to them. I'm VERY picky about the fit of my gloves since I do plenty of passing and dangling, they have to feel just right, and they have to feel that way FAST. These gloves have fit the bill for me and far exceeded my expectations as far as comfort, fit, and break in time. However, even though these gloves fit me extremely well, they do have a pretty unique fit and I would highly recommend trying them on at your LHS before buying. But if these gloves are the right fit for you, it really doesn't get any better than these. Warrior nailed it.

9/10

Weight & Mobility:

I was very pleasantly surprised with how much movement I have in these gloves. The 3 piece blooming cuff gives you great mobility and doesn't limit your stickhandling at all, or give you that "confined" feeling. As far as the weight goes, they're primarily nylon with the exception of some small stripes of synthetic leather, so very light. I'm usually very picky about mobility in gloves but these really do feel great for my style of play, and fit my personal preference to the letter.

10/10

Protection:

This is the main reason why I looked to the Projekt gloves in the first place. I take quite a few nasty slashes to the hands, and I'm also very defensive forward, so I try to block plenty of shots. A buddy of mine got these and really kept pushing me to try them out, and man I'm glad I did. I've taken alot of those same slashes, along with a few shot blocks to the top of the hand, and I was shocked that didn't feel a thing. The protection in these gloves is is unreal, definitely worth the money for the protection alone, not to mention that it's a great pair of mitts on the offensive side of the puck as well.

10/10

Durability:

So far these gloves have held up great in all areas, although 2 months isn't quite long enough to make a long term assessment on them. But considering the amount of play time I put on them (8+ hours/wk) they're holding up where I've had gloves fail by this point before. No cosmetic damage or tears in the nylon, and the palms are some of the most durable I've ever had (I do tend to sacrifice durability for a thinner palm though) Overall with the hours and hours of hard miles I've put on these, I think the durability is great.

9/10

Palm:

The palms on these gloves are better than the standard (non custom) Franchise gloves in my opinion. When I first tried them on at the LHS I thought they just pretty broken in because quite a few people had tried them on. When I got my pair I took them out of the box and the palms were already very soft and supple without that normal almost "elastic" feel that some new gloves have. I personally never feel like my palms are broken in to my standards until I have at least 12-15 hours of play time on them. These were to that point within 6 skates I believe (maybe 7, wasn't counting) but within a week after getting them they were starting to feel just right, just where I like them. They also put a slightly thicker nash section in the high wear area of the palms which is standing up great to the amount of stickhandling abuse I put on my palms (usually have a small hole in the palm within a couple months) So when you factor in the lightning fast break in time, EXCELLENT feel on the puck, and the soft supple feel of the palms, what more can you ask for?

10/10

Ventilation:

I'm sure by now I either look like the softest critic on earth, or look like I'm madly in love with my gloves. The answer is #2 (wedding date TBD) The ventilation is great, and the gloves are very breathable. The mesh gussets and blooming cuff give such a nice airflow through the glove, and the liner is light and does a pretty nice job wicking away moisture on the top of the hands. Definitely the most well ventilated gloves I've used up to this point (Vapor XXX, Bauer 4 roll '09, and Warrior Franchise being the most recent)

9.5/10

Aesthetics

At first I wasn't really into the look of these gloves since I was coming off 2 pairs of more traditional looking 4 roll gloves. But the look definitely grows on you, the almost skeletal look is pretty sweet once you're used to how different the overall shape of the glove is. The color scheme across the gloves definitely looks good, and my team colors just happen to be black, white, and silver so that works out nicely! I also think the graphics across the cuff roll and on the thumb look great, the subtle visual effects on the Warrior name and the 'W' on the thumb give the letters almost a three dimensional appearance. Nicely done on Warrior's part, really glad they got away from that weird design on the Eraser glove.

9/10

Overall:

I spent 4 seasons with my Vapor XXX gloves and those firmly held the crown until these came along. They haven't quite taken that title, but if the durability on these is even 2 seasons worth, I'll use them for 4.. and I still might be too stubborn to let them go, time will tell. So far these gloves are just so far beyond dirty, in my humble opinion. They're a fairly unique fit, but when they're right, man are they right! Phenomenal protection and ventilation, easy to break in, killer durability throughout the entire glove/palm, and a pretty damn sweet look to them as well. In my personal experience with them these are just the right gloves for me in all areas. I HIGHLY recommend them if they fit you right, you won't be disappointed with these!

9.75/10 (sorry for splitting hairs, but the .50 just wasn't doing it for me)

Warrior Projekt Gloves, 2011 model

Time used: 2 years

Fit:

Snug through the back roll and fingers and open up at the cuff for excellent wrist mobility. I prefer this type of fit, but those who like a loose fit should look elsewhere. Due to the protective bone system and the rounded shape of the rolls, the back roll sits a little higher than most gloves and this adds a little bulk.

9.5/10

Weight & Mobility:

The cuff is both open and segmented and the wrist guard uses an elastic to allow full mobility when stick handling, passing and shooting. They have three-piece index and middle fingers and two-piece ring and pinky fingers that allow for great finger movement. The thumb flexes forward well, but doesn’t allow you to hyper extend it backwards. They’re light weight nylon gloves with a bit of synthetic leather. You may find lighter gloves, but they won’t be as protective as the Projekts.

9.5/10

Protection:

The bone system (a combination of foams, plastics and a pocket of air) is used throughout the entire back roll and all the fingers. Some other gloves in the Warrior line, like the Luxe, also use the bone system, but they only use it through the mid-section of the back roll and fingers instead of the entire back roll and all fingers. The bone system does add a bit of outer volume as mentioned in the fit section, but also offers amazing protection. I’ve never used a more protective glove than the Projekts.

10/10

Durability:

After two years of use there’s one minor cut (which happened early on and hasn’t gotten any worse) in the nylon of one glove and a few marks. The palms show a little bit of discolouration, but have no holes at all. With that said, they’ve only been used with Tacki Mac or Oggie grips and have never touched traditional tape.

9.5/10

Palm:

They use a Micro Nash palm with reinforced high wear areas (double layers) that Warrior calls the Smart Palm. The Micro Nash felt nice and soft to start, but can stiffen up over time. A lanolin shaving cream treatment every once in a while makes them soft again. I prefer the feel of the stretch palm on the One90 gloves I have, but these palms have been more durable.

9.5/10

Ventilation:

The gloves have mesh gussets and use a ventilator liner to help wick moisture, but they don’t have any external vents beyond the gussets. I find my Bauer One90s breathe a little better with their back roll vents, however; the ventilation is still above average when compared to gloves without vents or mesh gussets. They’re perfect for ice, but get a little warm if you use them for roller hockey.

9/10

Aesthetics

Some people hate the looks of these gloves, but I like the skeletal look and appreciate the sublimated graphics.

9/10

Overall:

These are still my main ice hockey gloves. I love the fit and the protection is fantastic. The new 2012 Projekts have a colour scheme that matched my team better, however; when I tried those on I found the cuff to be quite tight and restrictive. If you can still find the older 2011 model Projekts in stores and they fit you well I highly recommend them.

9.5/10

Edited by althoma1

Warrior Projekt Gloves, 2012 model
Time used: 1 year

Fit:

These gloves are probably the best fitting pair of gloves I have had yet. I love the tightness around the cuff and they don't feel as if they will fall off at anytime when I play which is a problem with some of the gloves I have.

10/10

Weight & Mobility:

The weight of these gloves are pretty light but probably not the lightest glove on the market. The mobility is great, I can stick handle very well with them and they have a good range of motion and don't get bunched up at the cuff for me. The range of motion for the thumb is great as it has full range moving down but limited mobility when movie up which is great.

9/10

Protection:

I have taken quite a few brutal slashes on these gloves and still kept going like it was nothing. The Bone system is great technology and I hope more gloves use it. I have also blocked a few shots with them as well and the bone system still stand strong. It hurt very little but would have hurt A LOT more if I was wearing another pair of gloves. It is by far the most protected glove that I have used that takes abuse every week.

10/10

Durability:

It has been a year and I used the gloves almost twice a week. They are holding up quite well with a few scratches here and there but that is to be expected.

8/10

Palm:

The micro nash palm is very nice but I have some concerns with this one. It has "holes" in it for ventilation I believe and I see that they are starting to get bigger very slowly. My palms are also going to need a replacement soon as they are wearing down. They were great for the first year but I feel and think I might need to replace them in the next year or so as they are my go to gloves for every game now.

7/10

Ventilation:

The ventilation on these gloves are great. I can play a whole period with out a lot of sweat inside the gloves. Take them off and hands are just a little moist but that is to be expected. I Love how well ventilated these gloves are but that also brings me back to the palm issue with the holes.

9/10

Aesthetics:

I like the look of these gloves. They don't look like your traditional four roll which is just fine with me.

8/10

Overall:

As noted before, these are my go to gloves once I got use to them. I wear them every game and every special event as well. There is just something about these gloves that I just love and I can't stop using. It might be the tight cuff fit or all the protection it uses but I use them every game without even thinking about going to a different pair.

8/10

Warrior Projekt Gloves, 2011 Model
Size : 15"
Time Used: 9 months, once a week in A level inline hockeyR

Fit:
The 15" Projekt glove fit very similarly to the predessessor Eraser Pros that I had, although I did prefer to cut the inner liner to give my hands a little more freedom. I did the same with my previous gloves and did not notice any difference in protection, just more room. The Bone system is great, and I feel that the gloves move very easily in my hands.

9/10

Weight & Mobility:

One of the lightest gloves I've ever used, although very slightly heavier than the Eraser Pros. The segmented cuff allows for great flexibility and movement, and I didnt have any restriction during stickhandling or shooting. The thumb allows for good movement of the thumb in the normal position, and prevents hyperextension.

9.5/10

Protection:

These gloves have the bone system, and is very good with taking hits. I took a slapshot to the gloves near the thumb joint, and thought I would have broken my hand. Other than being stunned by the actual shot, I didnt feel pain at all. I also took a number of slashes during a recent game and the gloves protected my hands very well. I did wish there was a little more protection in the wrist area.

9/10

Durability:
After about 4 months of usage, I saw some piling on the inside of the fingers and the palms. THere were no holes or fraying of the thread stitching. After about 8 months of usage I finally started seeing a little more wearing down of the palm, and you could start to see small holes appearing in the top hand.

9.5/10

Ventilation
One of the selling points of this glove was the ventilation. I perspire a lot, and even after the game my hands were dry (although the palms were a little 'soggy'). The mesh gussets on the gloves allow good airflow, and if you actually stuck your gloved hands in front of a fan you could feel the air going through the gloves.

10/10

Aesthetics :
The Projekt glove looks like the typical glove you would expect from Warrior, with the bold graphics. It was a head turner for sure and I really liked how the glove looked overall.

9/10

Overall:
The Projekt is a fabulous glove and I highly recommend it to those it fits. As mentioned I cut out the inner liner for more comfort, but that was a personal preference. I would purchase another of these gloves in a heartbeat.
9.5/10