Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ATLstealth09

Machining a Chassis from Stock Aluminum

Hey guys, long time no post. Haven't been playing much recently, either, since I've been slaving away at Georgia Tech, trying this 'engineering' thing out, with little time to care about my gear, next pair of skates, what wheels to get, general gear-hoarding, etc, etc. But, the skates are falling apart, my gloves are torn, I'm running out of wheels, and my blades are all cracked. So, here I am. Anyways, on to the topic!

I am currently a volunteer lab instructor/babysitter in our Invention Studio, which houses tools for use by students taking design courses. I've come into contact with a great deal of machining tools, including waterjet, mills, lathes, presses, vacuum formers, 3D printers, and any imaginable hand tools and power tools available for use by senior design students. As a lab instructor, I have full access to these tools, granted I am competent in their operation.

This being said, I am interested in making something like a pair of these from a block of aluminum. I will be investigating this topic further in the coming days weeks, and would love input on feasibility, design, industry standards, materials, pre and post processing, or just general thoughts. I'll update this thread as I go, hopefully with pictures, from start to end... or submission, whichever comes first.

Glad to be back, and looking forward to hearing from you!

Wow, I'm glad I checked out the roller hockey section for this post :laugh:.

Seems like you'd be able to make a pretty basic shape from a block of aluminum and hopefully a computer numeric controller mill... Not too sure about all the technical cut-outs on that Hum'er. Sounds like an exciting project though, so please do report back!

These are my original prototypes that I did with Mission in 1998. They were hogged from solid pieces, including each rocker arm. I did the working drawings with an ancient draftsman and they converted them to ProE and set the CNC machine loose on them. Only made one pair.

AluminumProto.jpgAluminumProtoB.jpg

Why don't you work with Keith on making the first proto-type of his Mag-Alloy Sprung's? I think he has the 2-D drawings already done, 3-D drawings coming soon.