Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

woody31

New Blocker And Trapper

So, I know I've been on this board before and I've usually shown that I've opted for the least expensive piece of Equipment available to me, but I think its about time for me to make the move out of price point equipment. My Reebok Revoke 7000 (yes I know....) blocker and trapper just aren't doing it for me. My trapper has a borderline dead palm and my blocker had several rips along the cloth material on the edge of the blocking surface. I need something that's durable but won't drain my wallet. I don't know how much different a mid level (9k/18k, one80) set would be but I don't think I can afford fully custom pro options in the foreseeable future. Any tips will be greatly appreciated, and I really think I should have listened to the members of this board last year when the time for glove change came around.

Thanks for your Time

The good news is that you will notice a significant difference between the Revoke 7000 and a higher-end glove.

The bad news is that the perimeter binding on the blocker is *always* going to be the first thing to wear out, so you're not going to get any help there, unless you move to a very well-designed bindingless blocker.

If the rest of the blocker is in good shape, you could get a new binding put on for basically nothing, and invest all your money in a new glove. In my experience, the differences between catching gloves at different price-points are *much* more noticeable to most goalies than the differences between blockers. If you buy the glove locally, you could probably get the blocker re-bound for free if the shop has the right machine.

Apart from the sub-par palm in the glove, was there anything you especially liked or disliked about it? Any other gloves you've tried or even tried on about which you had strong feelings?

My advice is to make sure you buy the glove in person!!! SO may times I will pick up two of the same model glove and one will feel like butter and the other like a brick. Look for last years models at LHS that sell goalie gear and you can get a deal or take the chance and buy on clearance online.

Second that. Gloves are a very personal piece of gear. I spend more time on my blockers, but that's because I've always taken catching for granted.

To answer your first question, I really like the offset T in my Trapper but that's about it. I've been looking at the Vaughan Velocity 7900 and I've liked the feel. Alot of this is based on the fact that I've enjoy one piece cuffs. On that note though, the new P4 pro model also has this but I don't really know how it feels on my hand. A question I have though would be if I will end up having the same problems if I were to purchase the 7480? One last question I have is that I'm wondering if the 7900 series is a binding less blocker?

Yep, the 7900 blocker is bindingless-- that doesn't necessarily mean 'no bindings whatsoever,' just that no bindings are exposed around the perimeter of the board, or at least in the traditional areas where bindings fray quickly: along the toe, especially at the corners.

It's really, really hard to tell how a glove is going to protect without using it, or at least trying it on. Generally speaking, yes, a pro-level glove will offer a major protection upgrade (and across the board) over a senior glove; you would probably find the 7480 comparable to your Revoke 7000 after comparable use. However, a lot of it has to do with how the glove fits your hand, how your hand and the way you play breaks the glove in, and breaks it down, etc. Some goalies almost never catch pucks directly in the palm; some do it a lot; some guys' hands are more sensitive in certain spots than others'.

If you like the offset Tee, and you like the feel of the 7900, that sounds like a plan. If you can find it and a 7480in a local store, see if they've got any white pucks and slam one into the palm a few times: that should give you some idea of the initial differences and a little peace of mind on your purchase of either, though the wear down the road is another matter entirely.

Just realized a blunder that I made when I said dead palm, and this will seem slightly idiotic. It's not an Issue with my palm (yeah, I know) as mush as it is an issue with the cuff (I know, completely different areas, minor brain fart). Say this is my Glove (which it is) PIC_0438.jpg

I am continuously getting hit in this area by pucks in practices and warm ups. This is why I want to get a one piece cuff because it has better coverage in this area. Again, sorry for the minor error.

Huh. If you're getting hit right there, in that gap you're pointing at, that almost looks to me like your wrist isn't being properly centred behind the cuff. This might seem a bit basic, but have you tried playing with the strapping and Velcro panels on backhand?

Right Now it's a tight as she goes and it sits like this on my hand

PIC_0439.jpg

This is how it looks like strapped in from the back

PIC_0454.jpg

On problem I had with it is that where you see the white lace on the left side

PIC_0453.jpg

was held on to the side of the glove by a small string with the same consistency of fishing line. This broke off and I haven't been able to return it to the right position through tying.

Yeah, something looks off. I'd start by loosening everything right off, seeing where that leaves your hand, then experimenting with having one tighter and the rest loose, one loose and the rest right, etc. in every possible permutation.

I'm not quite sure what's going on with that white lacing, but that seems a possible culprit as well. There's no way lacing should be attached to the glove with thread...

The white lace wasn't there originally, that was just a quick repair I did before a game. The black flap on the back of my hand was held down by This little thread

PIC_0456.jpg

This made the strap on that part of the glove useless and I haven't been able to lace it back in in a way that It will work, so any help there will at least get me through the rest of the season. As for the other strap, I'll mess around with it for a while and see what happens

I can't say for sure without having the glove in my hands (or a version of it, at least) but I'm pretty sure that's your problem. If I'm getting the angles right, having that strap in play would pull your hand back into the centre of the glove.

Threw this together and it seems to function well

PIC_0463.jpg

Also tied the flap down to close up the opening

PIC_0476.jpg

It should be able to hold out for the rest of the season. Any thoughts?

As long as it holds that strap in place, it could work.

On the other hand, for about $10, you could get yourself a sewing awl and make a permanent repair.