Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
retroXvertigo

Bauer Pro Series Shin Pads

Background. I'm a stay at home shot blocking D man that plays beer league B level. 5'9" 180 lbs. I was looking for a wide shin pad that had a good amount of protection. I got them in 15". I wear my shin pads overlapping the tongue of my skates.

Fit:

These pads fit me well. I have thinner chicken calfs. They have a lower strap that offers some additional wrap around protection and a neoprene strap that goes around the knee. The definitely need some shin tape to get a good knee lock going. (At least they need to for me) The previous shin pads I've worn have all been 15" and these seem to be true to size.

9/10

Protection

This is where these thing excel. In my summer league this past year, one of the teams had several kids that played at a local D1 school. I've taken a few of their shots off my shins without any issue. You can feel it, but it doesn't leave you in pain. It also has the padding that wraps around the back of the calf for some additional protection.

10/10

Weight

These pads really don't seem overly heavy or light. They're some what beefy, but the weight of them has never been noticeable.

8/10

Durability

I've worn these 2-5 times a week for over a year and they're holding up pretty good. I do have some fraying on the calf wrap on one pad and the start of the same issue on the other (Can be seen in pics). No cracks or major issues.

9/10

Intangibles

Removable liner. Nice if you want to wash it. I'm not that worried about it. I air my stuff out in front of a fan after I play, so they're not really smelly. These were a 2011 model and can probably be found on sale. Originally they were on the pricey side.

Conclusion

Over all, for what I was looking for in a shin pad, these are great for me. They've been durable, they're good for shot blocking, and they've been comfortable. They work well for my style of play. If you prefer a lower profile, light shin pad, these may not be for you. I've been very happy with mine.

9/10

shin1.jpg

shin2.jpg

• Like 1