Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer Nexus 1000 Skate

Skated them today for the first time -

In the Initial Thoughts thread, my immediate thought was that I was going to skate with one eyelet down. First step on the ice and that theory went out the window (Has to do with the fact that I had a 3mm lift installed instead of a 1.5mm. No problem, skated to the bench and tied them up fully.

Right off the bat, my biggest fear was instantly resolved. After skating in a composite-lasted skate for 4 years, I was afraid that the Nexus 1000 would not be stiff enough.

I was wrong.

Definitely supportive, however, with just enough give up top. EXTREMELY comfortable - the feel took me back 17 years to my Supreme 5000s.

Have a bit of pressure on the bigger foot (right) but other than that, no issues whatsoever.

Really think I'm going to enjoy these - and I think the break-in process is going to be really quick.

Wore them today - things are definitely good; fiddling a bit with the lacing. I laced the right skate a bit too tight, which I had to adjust after I started to get a bit of pain. Once I got it dialed in, no problems there.

I'm really liking the progression of the break-in process; I've been wearing them around the house a little bit and they feel really good. Still very pleased on how they handle on-ice.

Put some more time on the skates yesterday; I haven't had a pair of skates break-in as easily as they have. Absolutely zero hotspots or pain anywhere on the skate (other than my arches, which has always been a problem for me regardless of skate, and hence has no bearing when I review.)

Quick comparo between these and NXG - the response isn't as good as with the NXG, however, I don't feel limited by the Nexus 1000 at all.

I haven't updated the past three times I've skated; I apologize - just lots going on here.

Things are really going well with the skate. The only issue that I can speak on is the tongue - being felt and not having much of a structure, it tends to shift off to the side.

I went ahead and put C-clamps on the tongues to get them to flop - started out in the middle where the metatarsal insert is, then began to shift them outward.

Skated today - they're pretty much broken in. Extremely comfortable, tongue isn't shifting at all now that it's locked in. Quite easily the easiest/fastest skates I've broken in.

I've had three skates after the last skate - everything is just great at this point, however, the tongue shifting issue came up in my last skate, but I think that was more of me not putting them on the clamps after I skated.

I want to get in one more skate before I wrap this review up.

Here is the review -

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62404-bauer-nexus-1000-skate/