Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIMRB96

MLX player to goalie skate mod OD

Just finised my mod. I had some mlx that were wearing out in the toe area and was afraid to take a puck to them. My goalie skates were wore out so I found a pair of brand new (old style) Bauer tuuk cowlings on the electronic bay. Got em cheap and away I went. Used the stock mlx nuts and screws. Needed to double up the washers. Had to trim the cowling a bit as it was a size 6. Same as my mlx but the boots were a bit wide and a hair long. It was a snug fit. Prolly should have gone size 7 but I got the cowlings for a steal. Left the achilles guard attached as its really flexible anyway. I added the OD blades and Can't wait to try them. Any advice on the stock Bauer tuuk radius? The have never been sharpened. It feel like the have two flat spots (think upside down pyramid) instead of a radius. Never used the od blades. But as a older player and newer goalie ill take the advantage of lateral movement. Thoughts. Ill see about how to post some photos next. Posted from Iphone so plz forgive the spelling. Fat fingers man.

Ah anybody recommend a photo album site to link pics from? Kinda new at this. Simpler is better.

K, haven't skated yet but mlx are semi low cut already, kinda like an easton. Achilles guard flexes all the way back even with pads strapped up. I will post an update wed or thurs after I skate in them. Ill be judging the lateral stability of the boot and the initial thoughts on the OD. I plan on putting a 28' radius on the skate blades before i skate. Any clue where the balance point should be??? I use the older blademaster contour machine but we have no gauge and I don't know where to centre goalies skates? My player skates are 10' radius with the balance point 17-20 mm behind the centre of the blade. Pitched forward either .5 or 1 mm (sometimes I change it up). Any help with the radius would be great. Without starting a new post.

Cool thanks. Just noticed the left blade is bent. Tried to remount with no luck. I think the boot toes on the mlx are just a bit too wide. But for $20 cowlings ill make them work. Just sharpened them with a bit more offset up front to try to keep from feeling the slight drift you get from a bent blade. I had no idea goalie cowlings were so pliable. I will finally get I try them out tomorrow so expect some pics and a ops test soon. Thanks for the help. Oh and the skates don't fit our old blademaster contouring rig so ill be going factory. Should be good enough.

Heres one image. Cant get anmore to upload

http://imgur.com/KRQNqzX.jpg

K second try

http://i.imgur.com/BFgKMRp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XTTfK9h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CFtNvZA.jpg

Downloaded the iphone app and was able to upload one at a time. Not the best way to make an album but it worked. For $1.99 I can unlock the app and see all my uploads. Ill prolly just search for the here if I need tho haha.

K, I finally used them today. Fit was excellent as expected. No issue at all with the Achilles guard, no issues with pitch or offset etc. stock 28' radius was great. Sharpened to 1/2 was too much. I put them back to 5/8 after. OD started off crazy. I was able to stand in the butterfly all the way across the net pipe to pipe and I'm only 5'6". Slides started so easy. I mean like I've never done before. Half way through I couldn't push off the left skate as well or at all with the OD. Right side never changed from great. I was prolly tired. I noticed the OD catching at first but once I figured out the correct angles to slide etc this was not an issue. Not sure why the left became a problem. Maybe tired. I did notice the left OD was protruding a bit more than the right. This may have kept my foot more upright in bite angle. Also the right skate came a bit untied which I noticed after. Maybe this allowed for better ankle flex later in the pickup. Next ill leave the top eye lets a bit looser to see if this helps. Any thoughts or questions??? By the way correct fitting skates in net are a must never will I settle for too big even I the price was right!!!