Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seanmccann

Free Stanley

definitely not. Don't let the lower level of play plague the great Stanley Cup.

on the other hand the Stanley Cup should be awarded to the best team in the world. Maybe they could rank the teams in Europe and NA and play for it.

In say 25 years when little kids look at the Stanley Cup winners list and say what happened in 2005....

I like the idea of making the Cup open as a Challenge Cup for this season (as it was way back when), but you'd never find 2 teams from comparable leagues to play for it...the closest would probably be Canadian Jr's (CHL) versus US College.

The AHL would overpower any team made up of Jr age players and even the ECHL & AHL playing each other for it would be a fair gap in talent.

It's not like you could just say the CHL or AHL will play for the Stanley Cup this year instead, becasue that demeens the history of those 2 awards. The Memorial and the Calder Cups have almost as storied histories as Stanley.

[EDIT] I'm still considering that the Cup stay in North America...the idea of making it open Internationally is interesting...maybe it should be the prize for the World Championships this Spring. If NHL'ers play...that will be some skilled hockey being played.

I knew that site was ridiculous when I saw their list of potential Trustees for the Stanley Cup:

Don Cherry

Neil Young

Hayley Wickenheiser

Anne Murray

Stompin' Tom Connors

Michael J. Fox

Ted Nolan

Jean Beliveau

Larry Walker

Steve Nash

It really looks like they've thought this thing through... :blink:

Lord Stanley purchased his famous sporting trophy in 1892 for 10 guineas (or 10 pounds and 10 shillings). He originally intended it be given to the top amateur team in Canada. It was not intended to be the exclusive property of any league, nor was it supposed to be won by any team located outside of Canada.

maybe it's worth a shot, maybe the NHL should auction it off to on of the leagues for teh championship for added revenue?

Lord Stanley purchased his famous sporting trophy in 1892 for 10 guineas (or 10 pounds and 10 shillings). He originally intended it be given to the top amateur team in Canada. It was not intended to be the exclusive property of any league, nor was it supposed to be won by any team located outside of Canada.

maybe it's worth a shot, maybe the NHL should auction it off to on of the leagues for teh championship for added revenue?

No league couldn't afford it and if it was auctioned to a league then the winner would not be a true champion.