Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cameltaur

Where i've been for the last few weeks

If anyone happened to notice on the "old" board, I haven't posted anything in a good long while. That is because I just spent my March break doing community work in Swaziland (a small country between South Africa and Mozambique). I was living and working at an elementary school about an hour away from the swazi capital, Mbabane. While there I was helping ith the construction of a new school building (everything by hand- the hardest work I have ever done), fixing up the old buildings, and teaching classes. I spent my spare time with the local kids, playing sports and hanging out with them. They were the happiest people I have ever seen, despite the fact that most of them struggle daily to have enough food to eat. It was truly an eye-opening and life changing experience. About halfway through my trip, we got word that Swaziland had just been declared the country in the world with the highest rate of HIV infection. Almost 40% of the people in the country are infected...as I looked out over the almost 400 students at assembly the next day, it hit me that 2 in 5 of them would die of AIDS. It was one of the most frightening things I had ever thought about. That is the abridged version of my march break, I just thought people might want to know what i've been up to.

Guest phillyfan

Congratulations on your hard work and dedication. Must have felt pretty damn good helping out that project. Just curious, was it a program of some sort, maybe through your school? Or did you just volunteer out of the blue, by yourself, and opt to go there?

A couple kids at my school went to Jamaica to help out, in the poor ghetto part, not the place where people vacation.In a couple years I want to go do that.

Didn't some guys from your school also go down to Thailand a couple years ago?

Yeah, my brother went to Thailand (about 5 years ago I think). My school has done Thailand a few times, this was I think the 6th time going to Swaziland. There were about 20 of us and 20 Havergal girls. If I ever travel myself after high school i'm definitely going to go back there.

Thats sweet. How long were you over there? My cousin did something like that He was pre-med and he went and volunteered at a hospital over there for a year. He had minimal training in any sort of medicine, but over there, he was delivering babies left and right, plus doing many other advanced medical procedures that nobody would trust him with over here.

Thats sweet. How long were you over there? My cousin did something like that He was pre-med and he went and volunteered at a hospital over there for a year. He had minimal training in any sort of medicine, but over there, he was delivering babies left and right, plus doing many other advanced medical procedures that nobody would trust him with over here.

haha yea, they trusted us building a building eventhough we were just a bunch of kids who had never laid a brick in our lives...but it wasn't that bad a job really i don't think. We were there just under two weeks, plus one day on the way in Paris, and a day in Mbabane. Then we were in Mbabane for half a day at the end and a half day in Manzini, then a day in Malalotja nature reserve in Swaziland and two days at Kruger national park in South Africa on the way back.

Just in case you guys are interested, Saturday's Globe and Mail should have an article about my trip. A few of us were interviewed this morning for it, and they took some pictures as well. It is as a follow up to a series of articles on Swaziland that were in the paper about two weeks ago. I'll post a link if it goes up on the Globe website, or the page number in the paper.

This may sound dumb, but is Swaziland close at all to Rwanda? I'm doing a huge research paper on the Rwandan genocide that actually started 10 years ago today.