Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whip

Which one benefits me more

I have been doing push ups for quite some time and I found that having a closer grip will work the triceps better and a wide grip will work the chest. So I wanna kno which muscle will help me for hockey. I play floor hockey non-contact so I dont need "hitting muscle". So which would benefit my other aspect of the game, the tricep or the chest?

Triceps extend your arm at the elbow. Your pecs help rotate ur shoulder and adducting ur arm. I think with regards to shooting, working ur pecs would contribute to a heavier shot, more so than ur triceps. I think developipng ur triceps might make ur backhand better. That said, I think that you could alternate your push up style and just work both, without really sacrificing the development of either muscle.

Spot training (focusing on one muscle) is extremely determental to your overall body health. Train everything. The reasons should be obvious.

1. Having one muscle group that is very much developed while another is very weak will produce an imbalance in the body and can be potentially dangerous when performing various activities.

2. You'll develop bad habits that you won't even notice. Because one muscle group is stronger than another (especially groups of muslces that are 'related' such as the biceps/triceps, chest/back, quadriceps/hamstrings, etc.), your body will naturally compensate with the stronger muscle over the weaker muscle when doing high performance activities.

3. You'll look disproportioned. Why would anyone want an unevenly proportioned body? This is especially true for the younger guys out there who I see work only their upper bodies but leave their lower portion untrained. It makes the body look very unstable.

As cgin has already said, do both. It sounds like you don't have any equipment available to you so try doing lateral lunges for your legs and some abdominal excercises for your core. I actually find that a strong core helps the most in any sport. The midsection has something to do with every action performed by the body in sports.

Oh yea, one more thing before I shut up here. Train smart and hard but don't overtrain. Overtraining is just as bad as not training at all. A good comparison would be like picking at a scab of a cut that's not completely healed yet. Your body needs time to recover. If you train too frequently, your body will not have enough time to recover and thus not grow/get stronger.

Spot training (focusing on one muscle) is extremely determental to your overall body health. Train everything. The reasons should be obvious.

1. Having one muscle group that is very much developed while another is very weak will produce an imbalance in the body and can be potentially dangerous when performing various activities.

2. You'll develop bad habits that you won't even notice. Because one muscle group is stronger than another (especially groups of muslces that are 'related' such as the biceps/triceps, chest/back, quadriceps/hamstrings, etc.), your body will naturally compensate with the stronger muscle over the weaker muscle when doing high performance activities.

3. You'll look disproportioned. Why would anyone want an unevenly proportioned body? This is especially true for the younger guys out there who I see work only their upper bodies but leave their lower portion untrained. It makes the body look very unstable.

As cgin has already said, do both. It sounds like you don't have any equipment available to you so try doing lateral lunges for your legs and some abdominal excercises for your core. I actually find that a strong core helps the most in any sport. The midsection has something to do with every action performed by the body in sports.

Oh yea, one more thing before I shut up here. Train smart and hard but don't overtrain. Overtraining is just as bad as not training at all. A good comparison would be like picking at a scab of a cut that's not completely healed yet. Your body needs time to recover. If you train too frequently, your body will not have enough time to recover and thus not grow/get stronger.

Ha! I beat the system! I try not to train at all, so my body is totally balanced - everything is equally under-developed! :P

I have been doing push ups for quite some time and I found that having a closer grip will work the triceps better and a wide grip will work the chest. So I wanna kno which muscle will help me for hockey. I play floor hockey non-contact so I dont need "hitting muscle". So which would benefit my other aspect of the game, the tricep or the chest?

Chest is probably the least beneficial for hockey. Forearms, wrists, abs and legs are the best for hockey in no particular order.

Chances are, if he works out his chest his core muscles will get soem workout as well, and theres no doubt that your core is the most important thing in hockey. For example, alot of chest workouts will also work out your abs, without you even knowing it. Pushups are a good example of this. If you do alot of pushups, it will actualy help your abs as well.... if you do them right.

Chances are, if he works out his chest his core muscles will get soem workout as well, and theres no doubt that your core is the most important thing in hockey. For example, alot of chest workouts will also work out your abs, without you even knowing it. Pushups are a good example of this. If you do alot of pushups, it will actualy help your abs as well.... if you do them right.

great logic.

Well if your only going to do one muscle group, you mite as well do one muscle group that can also have side effects for other groups. Still on the push up thing, push ups also work on your bi and triceps. So by doing pushups for your chest you are getting more muscle work then expected. So if your being sarcastic, you shouldnt be.

Well if your only going to do one muscle group, you mite as well do one muscle group that can also have side effects for other groups. Still on the push up thing, push ups also work on your bi and triceps. So by doing pushups for your chest you are getting more muscle work then expected. So if your being sarcastic, you shouldnt be.

Or you could choose to directly work on a muscle group that will provide direct benefits as opposed to hoping you get some benefit from working a much less useful muscle group.

I found when I worked on my chest my hockey improved more then when I worked on my arms. This is because when I worked on my chest, I was forced to work on other muscle groups. You cant argue with results.

In general, for sports, pretty much avoid isolation exercises. I'm a trainer and hockey player, and trust me, isolation exercises rarely do more than make you look better. Plus, why don't you just be a badass and get strong all over so you can regulate on people with whatever combination of muscles. I know this isn't much of a technical post and I have the knowledge to make it so, but your question was pretty dumb, when you think about it. Hit the gym, lift for strength and not size, and go out there and make people not want ot play against you...