Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
yazomoto2008

Bauer Supreme one.8

Skate: Bauer Supreme one.8

Size: 8.5D
Foot Type: Normal arch. Narrow heel with wider forefoot.
Ht./Wt.: 6'0 175 lbs.
Play Level: A level adult league. Play both Defense and Forward
Previous skates worn: Nike Bauer Supreme one90; size 8.5D

Purchased: December 2013

For my 18th birthday, my parents bought me the NBH Supreme one90. Had the skates baked and they fit perfectly from the start. Since this was my first experience using a skate with the hard shell, the top of the skates would dig into my upper ankle area since there wasn't much padding there. Once I got used to the skates though, my ankles did a better job of holding steady. Aside from that, I had no problems with the one90's for about 6 years. Up until recently, started developing lace bite on one foot likely due to the deterioration of the tongue. The tongue on the one90's is very thin, and I'm honestly surprised it hasn't given me problems until now. With the skates being relatively beat up from high school and rec hockey early on while playing non-checking adult league since then, it was time for new skates. Decided to go with a skate that would last long without going over the top in terms of price. I especially appreciate the tongue on this skate. Going back to the traditional style of tongue has allowed for my lace bite to recede.

Blade/Holder (10/10)
With the TUUK Lightspeed 2 holders and TUUK LS 2.1 steel, I'm glad I took a step down for these. I'm not a huge fan of the fusion steel. I never had to experience this, but I've seen too many times, where friends have had the fusion steel break catching passes in their skates. Also, I had to have my previous holders in the one90's shimmed to prevent the clicking noise that commonly occurred with the holders. Couldn't be happier with my current holders and steel.

Weight (10/10)
These are to date the lightest skate I've ever worn. A tad lighter that NBH Supreme one90's, but not by much, at least, it's not noticeable when skating.

Protection (9/10)
I have blocked multiple shots with these on and I've had no problem (granted I play in a adult league with no slap shots). I will say that with the hard shell skates, it still remains that if someone whacks me in the skate with their stick, the force seems to carry through the skate, but not a major issue.

Durability (9.5/10)
Have a few nicks and scuffs on the boot. Also, have a few chips in the holder. But, since I'm playing on three teams at the moment, the amount of wear and tear seems to be per usual. I'm just hoping the boot stays as stiff as my Supreme one90's did.

Performance (10/10)
Due to the increase in lateral stiffness of the boot (upgrading from my old skates), I am able to push through turns and accelerate with more control and force than before. I am not the greatest skater, but I like to move quick. So, upgrading to newer skates definitely improves things by a slight margin. These skates have the same feel as any other Bauer Supreme skate I've worn.

Overall Assessment (97%)
Overall, I'm happy with the purchase I made on these skates. Unfortunately, the local shops in my area were out of stock, so had to order them in my size, but I couldn't be happier. They are working out great.

BOTTOM LINE - Solid skate. For the price range, you get a top notch skate without missing out on too many bells and whistles.

Edited by yazomoto2008