Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CodyTC21

Best roller skate for an intermediate player?

+2 on the earlier comments. Will dropping a lot of coin on a pair of apxr 2's make you a better player, no. Will a high end skate last longer, depends. Lots of other things to consider like weight, style, do you sweat a lot, wide or narrow foot / ankles, shallow or deep instep, amount you skate per week, any foot problems, budget etc.

In skates you do get what you pay for. The general rule of thumb I have found is that the cheaper the boot, the faster it breaks down. If you are heavy, sweat a lot, have foot issues (like pronation), skate a lot and or have a very aggressive style then you will accelerate the failure period.

For what it's worth, I'm not heavy but do tick all the other boxes and have destroyed many top end skates inside of 3 months (Rbk, Bauer, Mission). Top end Alkali skates are the best built boot I have ever used and for me to still be in them after 18 months is a testimony to that.

The exception for me is apxr's, I haven't had the pleasure of trying to destroy these yet so can't comment on durability.

What size are you? There are some good clearances on at the moment and if you aren't a common size ie 8 to 10, then you can pick up a very good deal on a top end boot at a mid range price. Again though, you need a boot that fits your foot shape, so saying Alkali have one the best conforming boots around to accommodate most foot shapes.

Obviously you have to try skates on to see what's best.

When you say intermediate, I immediately think the $200 to $300 price range.

I have done a lot of research for skates in that range. I also typically suggest sticking with a roller specific company. That is Alkali, Mission (yes, Bauer owns them) and Tour. IMO, you get more value at this price range with these companies.

For the $200 price range, the Alkali RPD Comp would be my suggestion. Several features on that skate not found by competitors at the same price. Good tongue, nice wheels, full 9 minute bake to get a good fit and decent enough outsole for being "plastic".

If going up to the $300 price range, I would suggest the Tour 725 or Alakli Team. Both have nice upgrades from their $200 range like carbonglass outsoles, stiffer boot, better liner and better wheels.

In my opinion, Mission really gets outclassed by Tour and Alkali until you get to their $400 range. Mission has good skates at the $400+ and under $200 range, but I think their mid range is not strong. They use their name and fit as a crutch in the mid rate line.

Of course, there are great deals to be had on last years models on closeout. If you can find a Tour EX1, ZX9 or Alkali CA9, CA7 in your size - those are great options that may be better skates than the current $200-$300 range.

I suggest going to your local shop to try skates on. It's worth it to pay a little extra to get it right the first time.

I always used to use missions and than when I bought the inhalers they were just to heavy and didn't like them that much. So I'm just going to go to my LHS and try on a bunch of pairs

I'm a size 7-7.5, where are there deals at?

If you know your size and how the skate fits you then inline warehouse, hockey monkey and hockey giant are the big 3 online. Don't know what inhaler model you tried on but the lower the model the heavier the skate. The lightest skate out there is the apxr or apxr2 but you pay a pretty dollar for this privilege. Had a quick look and I can see the Bauer XR5 is available in your size and for an intermediate to advanced player, this is a good skate. If the online retailers have it on clearance then most likely your LHS would have it on clearance also. If you have the dollars, the apxr can also be found in your size but if you are looking at spending this much ($500+) then have a look at the new range from alkali.

The XR5 is 230.31 with 20% code on homepage of website (my buddy just bought em this weekend). Great skate for that price, spend the extra $75.

Agreed, there is a HUGE difference between the XR5 and the bottom end skates you would be looking at for $150. That extra $75 would be the best $75 you might ever spend on a hockey product.