Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caseyjones

Graf inline conversion

This may have been covered elsewhere, but i just bought a brand new pair of Graf Ultra G7's. My 3rd pair actually, but i want to convert this one to inline skates. I just have concerns about a few things.

1) I was suprised at how bad the craftmanship seems on Graf's. They are easily the most comfortable skates i have purchased, but the craftmanship is not consistent from pair to pair like a pair of Bauer's or CCM's or any other top brand name. The G7 have the bubble look to the sides of the skates, but some pairs i purchased were bubbled and others appear flat. It purely cosmetic, but it's weird to me how inconsistent it was from skate to skate. The holders have gaps in them where there are parts (especially in the heel) where the holders are not flush up against the sole of the skate. Again, doesnt seem to effect performance, but struck me as odd.

Now, my main cause for concern and the reason for this post is that the sole of the boot (once i removed the Cobra holder) has huge butchered holes in the plastic where the rms screws went through. I also thought it was odd that such a high end boot didnt have a completely solid sole of the skate. It has the plastic almost bordering the outside of the sole but there are soft patches in the middle where the cobra holders would cover. So i want to know if anyone else had this same experience when removing the Cobra holders on Graf's and how that would effect installing a roller hockey chassis on it. Im going to go with an 80/72 set up which i prefer to all other options, but that also leaves me with pitch concerns. When holding the frame to the bottom of the boot it does not line up flush with the bottom of the skate. There is definitely a pitch built into Graf boots. When i line it up on my old micron megas it's virtually flush all the way through. So i wanted to know if this will be a problem when mounting the frame. Will the boots have to be built up in certain areas? I plan on taking it to a shop that has always done great work for me, but i just wanted to go in there with some knowledge before handing over a brand new expensive boot and having to be at the mercy of suggestions that the store might have.

I dont know how to post a picture, but if someone could help me out with that if its needed i can try to post it.

I did the same thing in the past, and I would cover up the holes with some epoxy first. The benefits would be two fold, first being that you can redrill after the epoxy sets, and the second is that if you sweat a lot it wont drip out of the holes onto your wheels/floor.