Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

STX Stallion 500 Gloves - Puck_it

FIRST ASSESSMENT:

STX Stallion 500 Gloves
Size : 13"
Time Used: about 6 games so far

Previous models used: Vapor x:60 pros (last three years!), Easton s19

Preliminary stuff: A little bit of background here... My last set of gloves were Vapor x:60 pros... I absolutely loved these gloves, they lasted me three years. They set the bar in what I wanted. I was about to get them repalmed, when i was presented with the opportunity to review these STX Stallion 500s. I had nothing to lose, and i figured at worst they'd bridge me until my vapors were repaired, if the gloves werent to my liking.

Being a regular attendee of the summer jam and winter fest events, ive gotten the opportunity to demo a number of gloves over the years, so i have a pretty go idea of what new gloves feel like on the ice. I think this will give me some good context through this review.

Fit: So, I dont know what to call these gloves... anatomic, or a hybrid. the back of the cuff seems to open up a little more than some anatomical type gloves, but theyre definitely not open like a 4 roll. The glove fits comfortably, but I would note that the fingers feel shorter than a 13" bauer.

Weight & Mobility: the glove allows you to curl your wrist inward freely. I do feel like the back cuff could give a little more when rolling your wrist backward. In my opinion a glove should allow this motion pretty readily. Weight, like with all gloves it seems like is pretty negligible.

Protection: i havent taken any hits that would test the protective qualities, so i cant fully judge this category whole cloth, and my opinion may change with continued use. Pros that work in the favor of this glove are that they utilize plastic inserts on top of the foam packs in the glove segments. Personally I wouldnt ever purchase a glove without this feature. Potential drawbacks, i would list that the fingers seem a little shorter than a regular 13". I don't think my fingers protrude out where its a problem, I'm right on the edge. Its one of those things i'll just wait and see on.

Durability: Tune in to find out! the glove looks to be well made.

Palm: The palms feel supple enough. They dont strike me as being anything super exotic, nor do they feel like STX cheaped out. They're perfectly adequate for the glove.

The Looks: this glove is pretty sharp. it doesnt get crazy with the design, mine are black with white accents. The STX logo is embroidered raised stitching, which is a really nice touch in my opinion. However, my favorite design element for whatever reason is the sideways STX on the fingernail segment of the index finger. its a nice little accent piece that doesnt really get in the way of the whole theme of the glove.

ON THE ICE:

So, this is where the review gets interesting. I have never used a glove that has felt so stiff, in all the gloves i've tried. The glove palm really feels "tight" and takes some work to loosen. You have to fight it the first few times out. After about 4 games, the gloves were stressed enough to the point where I would say they still need breaking in, but dont feel like their obstructing what i'm trying to do.

I think, like most players, that gloves should be one of the pieces of equipment you should never notice. you dont want to feel it rub, you dont want to feel held back... because of this, I would say that the Stallion 500s lose some points for requiring some non-game break-in prior to feeling comfortable enough to use them.

I havent felt any other constraints in wrist motions, or loss of puck feel, or anything else that a glove could inhibit. To that end, the palms have also performed just adequately thus far. I dont feel any added subtlety to my stick or anything like that; conversely they do not feel like they detract from anything that a glove in this price range should deliver.

I also have been fortunate enough that I have no clue how protective these gloves are, at the moment (as mentioned, previously, they seem like they're up to the task though).

One other item to note, the fabric flap that sits on the back of the palm deserves some mention. Every glove has one. With the Stallion 500, the fabric flap could be tailored better. the corner of the flap wraps around the back of the thumb over to the underside. Has this negatively affected my performance? i highly doubt it. Is it annoying? Yeah, a little bit... it's like wearing a turtleneck. Will i get over it? yes. I'd just recommend to STX that their next revision tailor this component a little bit more thoughtfully.

Looking to the future, I plan to wear this glove long term, likely until they wear out or I am fortunate enough to participate in another long-term review. I will try to post updates on a regular basis, especially when i start noticing changes to the glove.