Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weasel

Sizing skates for 9 year old/ Skate choices

My son made a tier 1 hockey team for the 07 age group.  Right now he's a perfect fit in his size 3 Easton Synthesis skates.  I see HM has Easton RS for $75 and also has the 85s for $45.  He has grown 1 size every year and I haven't messed around with half sizes yet because I figured he'd just grow in to his new skates.

Now that he's playing at a higher level I'm wondering if I should pay more attention to his exact size and maybe order a 3.5 for his next pair instead of a 4.  I also don't want him to have to break-in 2 pair of skates next season so that has me leaning towards getting him a size 4 (which I'm sure he'll be wearing by the end of the 2016-17 season).  He also refuses to give up his old skates until he's outgrown them by a half size.  I won't force him to start using his new skates. I wait until he complains this current ones are hurting his feet.

I guess my question is should I be buying skates by the 1/2 size at this age/level?

He will always skate better in proper fitting skates.  You need to balance what that is worth to you.  He may be a bit sloppy and lose a step or some agility in the bigger skate and it may take some time for him to adjust.  That is something you need to judge.  Take a look at his team mates, the competition, and judge their skating ability.  I would base my decision on that.  I have purchased 2 pairs a year, in half size increments, for my son.  He is one of the best skaters in his peer group. I'm not sure that's a coincidence.  Any break in periods have been a non issue, because he's in the same boot and its only a half size difference.  The skating adjustment each time has been seamless.  One or two practices at the most.