Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeydad3

Flex of Hockeyskates

Does anyone know about the definition of flex for Hockeyskates?

Which parts of the boot are designed to flex?

I´m asking this because my Graf MCI 5035 doesnt´t seem to flex at all.

The labelling on the side is "superflex" not 85 or 55.

Thank you four your answers.

"Flex" is relative term with hockey skates. With the exception of entry level skates, most skates have very little flex as compared to skates of 20+ years ago. To me, modern skates that are more flexible are like "oh, yeah, there is a little bit of give" as compared to "my feet are encased in concrete". There are lots of opinions on the pros and cons and if this is good or bad, but that's pretty much the way it is.

As far as your Graf specific question, someone with more knowledge will probably chime in.

It appears that you are trying to affix the numbers 85 and 55 to skate flex and I am wondering if you are thinking of stick flex.  Sticks have flex numbers and the manufacturers are all a bit different on what each means in practice but they are a good start in deciding what you want/need in a stick.

As far as skate "flex" is concerned most of us really think in terms of "stiffness" and then we speak for "forward flex."  Stiffness best described rigidity or the ability of the skate to hold your ankle firmly in the boot without bending.  Forward flex is just that.. when you bend your knees and get low having that skate flex and move with you while your blade stays on the ice.

Typically bigger more advanced skater like stiffer skates but this is not universal and there is lots of debate on that.  The top end skates seem to be stiffer.

Almost all advanced skaters like to have good forward flex so they can "work" the skate.

There is no number for either stiffness or forward flex.  It is something you learn from your research, feeling the skate and talking to a qualified salesperson.

Nah... Graf had numeric flex ratings on their MCI line, I think they made 45 through 85 flex on the upper. I think these basically in Kg. So if you are 85kg and over you'd get flex 85. Have not seeing super flex. Perhaps it is points to Supra flex, which is more of a traditional flex or lack there of. Perhaps made for people 100kg and more.  Not sure though. It was a novel idea, but as DK said, it is not a rule. You can be 100kg and wanting 45 flex, you you can be 60kg and look for stiffest skates you can get.

Sorry, the labelling is "Power Flex".

How does a softer boot flex forward?

Is the backside of the boot moving forward? Or is the bootleg simply stretching?

I only can get a sufficient forwardflex by tying quite loose around the ankle and above.