Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perry94

Havin trouble roofin' the backhand in close

I just bought a rollerpuck (i used to be a strict hockey-ball user), and it's great. I have to change my whole method of stickhandling! :angry: THat'll be a matter of time. However, I'm really having trouble "roofing it" up close. I can't seem to make it get up any. Been tryin for a while now, still nothing. ANy suggestions?

i used to use blades with a severe curve in them, but about 6 months ago switched to a modano curve and it was the best thing to happen to my backhand. i actually broke my modano last week and switched back to my leopold curve (DRASTICALLY different curve), couldn't roof it backhand if my life depended on it. if you're using a blade with a deep curve, its a little harder to get a backhand up. other than that lowering the bottom hand DOES help a little. it just takes practice. when u get it you won't even realize what u'r doin different, u kind of just get the feel for it.

I forgot another thing, I'm not sure if it's just me but it's easier to backhand the puck using the mid part or in mid-heel of your blade. Using the toe for backhands make it extremely hard to get up. Make sure you do a good follow through, the pucks going to go low with a low follow through and high with a high follow through.

Best thing to do is practice and get a feel for what a backhand should feel like. All I do is pull the buck to the BH and make sure the puck is sitting mid to heel on the blade.....roll the wrists over with a dash of timing and it goes straight up.

Im using a Jagr curve too If you are interested. My back hand has only really come of age the past 6 months or so because I have been able to pratice against a wall that rebounds the puck back to me. Allowing allot of shots to be taken over and over again in a short amount of time.

I was able to get off nice backhands iwth my banana curve. The trick for me was finding a flat spot on the blade and using htat. My curve was all toe, so it wasn't too hard because about 4" of the blade was almost flat.

The most important thing for my BH's is solid weight transfer and a good follow through.. If I get those two things right, the elevation comes very easily..

When I first started, I was only thinking about elevation. I didn't get good weight transfer, and even though my follow through was high, it didn't help because I was 'scooping' at the puck..

In a clinic that I took, a coach showed had me work on my weight transfer and concentrate on a low follow through. All of a sudden, my BH's were great. I had tons of control over the elevation, aim, and pace.