Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
iameric

Warrior Fantom QRE

Stick History: Warrior QREdge, Warrior Alpha DX, True A6.0 Sbp, True XC9 Acf, Warrior HD1, Warrior QRL, Warrior Alpha QX, Bauer Vapor 1x, Bauer Supreme MX3, Easton Stealth CX, Easton Synergy HTX, Easton Mako 2 

Stick Info: Warrior Fantom QRE – W03 Curve, 75 Flex 

Height: Uncut 
Weight: 360G (approx.) 
Grip: Yes 
Usage: On and off for the last 5 months 

I was super excited to get my hands on Warrior hockey’s response to the Bauer Vapor ADV series, being, I’ll admit, a Warrior fan boy. 

Blade (4/10): With this being an insanely light weight stick, I did not expect this blade to be the most responsive or greatest feeling. And as expected, it is not. I found that I was forcing myself to use the stick for a couple games before finally getting comfortable with the blade. But once I got used to it, I found it to be not that bad, but yet not that good either. Again, to be expected with a stick at this weight. Even though this stick is crazy light, the blade is very stiff and did not torque out when shooting. 

Shaft/Flex (7/10): One thing I find with Warrior sticks in general is that their sticks made in China play stiffer when compared to the sticks made in Mexico. The Fantom QRE is made in China. I got the 75 flex and it feels slightly stiffer than other 75 flex sticks, but still softer than 80 flex sticks I have tried in the past. The Fantom QRE has a traditional shaft shape, which is what I prefer, with a not too tacky grip coating with the Edge Taper for quick release. 

Shooting (9/10): The Fantom definitely gets the puck off quickly thanks to the Edge Taper. I find this stick to shoot similarly to the QREdge, but with a little less feedback. Overall, I really do enjoy shooting with this stick and never seem to miss the target more than I usually do. 

Stickhandling/receiving passes (7/10): This one is tricky. I am no NHL player or better than your average beer leaguer and I do tend to have my head down when I try my dipsy do’s. For stick handling, I like this stick since it’s super light and easy to maneuver. I find my stick handling to be slightly faster, but it might be some placebo effect from how light the stick feels. When it comes to passing, that’s another story. I found the Fantom QRE does not have the most feedback when it comes to passing and found myself missing the target until getting used to it. Receiving passes was also a learning curve as I would miss receiving passes in the first few games, but again after getting used to the lightweight stick I would not miss as much. Main point here, it is definitely a stick that you must get used to at first. 

Weight/Balance (10/10): Well, at 360 grams the Fantom is incredibly light. The balance is excellent and not blade heavy at all. Warrior did a fantastic job. 

Durability (8/10): This is my second Fantom QRE. The first one got a clapper at point blank. Honestly, I do not think any stick would have survived. Warrior replaced it no problems. The second Fantom QRE has had no durability issues. I’ve been slashed and hacked multiple times and even deflected some shots off the shaft with no cracks or breakages. The blade has held up great and has not lost its stiffness. I do believe the Fantom QRE is a tough cookie. Also, Warrior backs it up for 90 days. 

Conclusion: (7.5/10) The Fantom QRE is a fun stick. After a few games to get used to how insanely light it is, the Fantom QRE is a very useable stick that provides great shooting. However, I always find myself going back to the QREdge over the Fantom after a frustrating game where I would usually give another stick another game or so. For the big price tag of 400$ CAD or 320$ USD, I would personally shoot for the regular QREdge before forking out a wad of cash for the Fantom. Although, I do very much so enjoy how light it plays in hands and the 90 Day warranty is appealing and reassuring.