Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
salibandy

AS3 vs FT2 heel pocket depth

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new pair of skates. As I don't live anywhere with a skate shop, I'll have to order new skates online.

I'm currently in a JetSpeed FT1, which feels great around the foot, except I feel like the heel pocket is too shallow - I don't feel any material on both sides of my Achilles and locking my calcaneus down. In my previous Mako II, I felt that and really liked the locked in feel.

With the AS3 in Jr being much cheaper than an FT2 in Jr sizes, naturally I'm considering the AS3 vs the FT2 just based on price. From what I gathered in the FT1 to FT2 comparison thread, the FT2 has a deeper heel pocket than the FT1, so that might be an option. Can anyone comment on the heel pocket depth on the AS3, and even between the two if anyone knows?

Cheers,
Mark

17 hours ago, salibandy said:

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new pair of skates. As I don't live anywhere with a skate shop, I'll have to order new skates online.

I'm currently in a JetSpeed FT1, which feels great around the foot, except I feel like the heel pocket is too shallow - I don't feel any material on both sides of my Achilles and locking my calcaneus down. In my previous Mako II, I felt that and really liked the locked in feel.

With the AS3 in Jr being much cheaper than an FT2 in Jr sizes, naturally I'm considering the AS3 vs the FT2 just based on price. From what I gathered in the FT1 to FT2 comparison thread, the FT2 has a deeper heel pocket than the FT1, so that might be an option. Can anyone comment on the heel pocket depth on the AS3, and even between the two if anyone knows?

Cheers,
Mark

The AS3 will have a slightly deeper and wider heel pocket than the FT2. 

• Like 1

To me, the AS3 heel was noticeably wider as compared to the FT2/FT490, which actually squeezed my heels out of the box (but opened up nicely after baking). Skate tech advancements have been incredible over the past 3-4 years (I stopped playing during that period). 

Also, It’s about time someone offered a “AAA-ish” heel for “modern” skates at the retail level. It only took them 25 years.....

Edited by kovalchuk71

13 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

The AS3 will have a slightly deeper and wider heel pocket than the FT2. 

Would you say this will allow my heels to sit further back and get a more locked in feel?

11 hours ago, kovalchuk71 said:

To me, the AS3 heel was noticeably wider as compared to the FT2/FT490, which actually squeezed my heels out of the box (but opened up nicely after baking). Skate tech advancements have been incredible over the past 3-4 years (I stopped playing during that period). 

Also, It’s about time someone offered a “AAA-ish” heel for “modern” skates at the retail level. It only took them 25 years.....

I wonder why a wider heel would then squeeze your heel more - could you elaborate more for me? I must be missing something here. I would have assumed a wider heel would mean it would squeeze less.

I hope it won't be too wide for me. I do need my heels to sit further back, but not too wide of a heel pocket for my skinny ankles. 

52 minutes ago, salibandy said:

Would you say this will allow my heels to sit further back and get a more locked in feel?

I wonder why a wider heel would then squeeze your heel more - could you elaborate more for me? I must be missing something here. I would have assumed a wider heel would mean it would squeeze less.

I hope it won't be too wide for me. I do need my heels to sit further back, but not too wide of a heel pocket for my skinny ankles. 

The FT2 heels were the snug ones that squeezed my heels/achilles tendons. The AS3 were wider and did not squeeze.

How skinny? IMO, the entire CCM line has narrower heels as compared to the rest of the market. You should be fine. Did you use the Bauer Fit Machine to see your general measurements?

Edited by kovalchuk71
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kovalchuk71 said:

The FT2 heels were the snug ones that squeezed my heels/achilles tendons. The AS3 were wider and did not squeeze.

How skinny? IMO, the entire CCM line has narrower heels as compared to the rest of the market. You should be fine. Did you use the Bauer Fit Machine to see your general measurements?

Awesome, I understand - it's how I read the sentence that confused me.

Well, as an Asian, it's just skinny hahaha. We don't have hockey stores where I am, so I haven't been able to use any kind of fit machine.

12 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Yes. 

Cheers mate!

On another note, does anyone know a hockey shop in Oregon I can ship my skate package to in order to get profiles done?

Edited by salibandy

15 hours ago, salibandy said:

Awesome, I understand - it's how I read the sentence that confused me.

Well, as an Asian, it's just skinny hahaha. We don't have hockey stores where I am, so I haven't been able to use any kind of fit machine.

Cheers mate!

On another note, does anyone know a hockey shop in Oregon I can ship my skate package to in order to get profiles done?

No problem. They’ll work fine for you. 

PM “SkateworksPNW”. He’s located in that area.

• Like 1