Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ilyazhito

Transitioning From Ball to Ice

Hello folks! I am a 27M in the DC area looking to become an ice hockey goalie. I have experience playing goalie in  ball hockey, but my skating is poor (I know how to go forwards and stop, but that's it). I've added a neck protector and knee guards, ordered used CCM Premier Pro 2s for ice (my current Demons are too wide to play in), and ordered a Vaughn V7 pro carbon chest protector to replace my beaten-up Vaughn Vision 9700. I've also been fitted for and bought goalie skates, and now I'm looking to get lessons. Is there anything I should focus on before transitioning to goalie-specific stuff? I'm looking to practice forward, backward, and stops, before learning the 5 major goalie movements (C-cut, T-push, shuffle, butterfly slide, recovery). 

I've also found out about Hockey North America, and plan to join the hockey school and work with the goalie coach there when it starts up. Is there anything else I should keep in mind when going from ball to ice? Thanks!

Hi there! It sounds like you're well on your way to becoming an ice hockey goalie. Focusing on improving your skating skills before moving on to goalie-specific techniques is definitely a good idea. You might want to consider taking some basic skating lessons to improve your overall mobility and control on the ice. Additionally, practicing your forward, backward, and stopping skills will help build a solid foundation for your goalie technique.

As for transitioning from ball hockey to ice hockey, one thing to keep in mind is that the puck behaves differently on ice compared to a ball. The puck will move faster and be more unpredictable, so you'll need to be prepared for that. Also, the angles and rebounds will be different, so you'll need to adjust your positioning accordingly.

It's great that you've already found a goalie coach to work with through Hockey North America. They'll be able to provide you with personalized feedback and guidance as you continue to develop your skills. Don't hesitate to reach out to them for advice on how to proceed.

Finally, remember to stay safe and have fun during your journey to becoming an ice hockey goalie. Enjoy the process, and don't be afraid to ask questions or seek help along the way. Good luck, and let me know if you ever need a taxi ride to the rink!