Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LetsGoWings13

trouble

Ok I play ice hockey and my shot in ice is very accurate and hard but in roller my wrist shots are hard but wild and I cant get my slap shot off the ground. Is there something different I need to be doing.

lol i think this needs to be moved.

You may have to change your motion or the flex you use. Roller hockey pucks are lighter and react differently than ice hockey pucks.

you should try using a new curve like a lidstrom or some type of heel curve. but if you want to stick with what you have, just keep practicing and youll get it sooner or later.

This may get a bit to technical (so what's new?)....

The coefficient of friction for ice is much lower than for almost all inline floors...and varies between the types of surfaces used.

If your slap shot on ice, uses a hard decending action where you use the initial contact of your stick with the ice to "flex" the shaft of the stick, and create "release acceleration" through the shot motion, this action will not work the same when you go to an inline surface....particularily with tape on the bottom of the blade. The blade will tend to 'grab" the floor a bit more, and slow down your acceleration release. This is still true even without tape on the bottom of the blade, but is exagerated if you have the tape there too.

This "drag" can create problems with both your wrist shot and slap shots.

The lighter inline puck tends to bounce off the blade of your stick a little easier, as the heavier ice puck has more "stasis" (read stationary inertia) to keep it pinned against the blade. What this all means is that the floor is grabbing your stick blade a bit more than the ice, causing the blade to decelerate more on contact....If the blade decelerates when you are taking a slap shot, the puck no longer remains "pinned" against the front surface of the blade, and the shot simply bounces away ineffectively, or flutters and comes off the blade in some non predictable way (wrist shot or slap shot). This problem is amplified with a lighter puck.

The key to good shooting(wrist or slap) is to always have the blade accelerating through the shot motion. This is what keeps the edge of the puck "pinned" against the blade surface.

Solution....first remove the tape from the bottom of your stick if there is any. second, for the slap shot, try not to use as much vertical motion through the shot, but a more sweeping motion. This will reduce the contact friction between the blade and the floor. Start by using 1/4 motions or 1/3rd motions and focus on accelerating the blade through the puck...gradually increase your motion as you get the feel for it.

Similarily with the wrist shot, if the surface is grabbing your blade a bit more, you may not be getting complete release of the blade through the shot...read lost "acceleration"..which will cause the problems you are seeing. This problem is more likely to be seen in younger players with a bit less strength in their wrists, but can happen to anyone.

Lastly, although you do not want tape on the bottom of your blade, shooting and passing with inline pucks usually works better with some tape on the surfaces of the blade, so if you have a bare blade, you may want to add tape to the shooting faces, but remove it from the bottom, or simply add tape in horizontal strips to the blade, instead of wrapping it.