Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDE3

Inline Hockey..contact, non contact...

Many great points made throughout, excellent topic.

One thing that cannot be overlooked is fan reaction (which is important if roller hockey is to ever make it back to it's "RHI" days in arenas). You can even equate it to the NHL level. The casual fan reacts more to a hard hit than a sweet dangle move. Sure as hockey players we may react to a great one-on-one move, but most casual observers have no clue what they're looking at. For example, does the casual fan even realize something like the "Michigan move" or spinorama takes some level of talent to perform? But if someone gets railed at center ice or into the boards, it garners a reaction.

I hate to compare our great sport to professional wrestling, but knowing several guys in the business, this is called making the crowd "pop"for something which is their main aim. Not that I'm suggesting to allow bodyslams and piledrivers in roller hockey... :P

The casual fan reacts more to a hard hit than a sweet dangle move.  Sure as hockey players we may react to a great one-on-one move, but most casual observers have no clue what they're looking at.  For example, does the casual fan even realize something like the "Michigan move" or spinorama takes some level of talent to perform?  But if someone gets railed at center ice or into the boards, it garners a reaction.

Actually from watching a lot of full contact roller, as you correctly observe, the fans react to a great hit just like you say.

However their reaction to a hit from which a player does not go down but somehow keeps his balance and control of the puck, is just as great, and also to a big missed hit, where the skill of the puck carrier, allows them to just escape certain death.... You can hear and feel the excitement/nervousness in the crowd when this happens..at least equal to a successfull hit. They are also now lusting after blood when this happens..if it's for their opponents team.

I can tell you from personal experience watching a player who got hit or missed all game long, but even when hit was able to make something happen..the crowd roared whenever he got the puck. The excitement this creates is palpable.

After some of those games those same fans from the opposing team all wanted to get closer to these skill players and went out of their way to congratulate them on a great game...as much as the fans love the violence of a big hit and hate their opponents, they still need the magic too. Adding the physical element of full contact definitely elevates the "hero factor" in the eyes of the fans. It's called "the Gretzky factor".....and the current state of the NHL almost assures you cannot have this anymore....the "magic" is restricted to very small doses.

That's why I am so adamant about applying the rules as I stated. It still allows for the big hits when our "would be heroes" get too cute..... the hockey fans love it when the "dangler" get's caught...but still gives the skill player a fighting chance to show his "stuff" too and maximize the excitement both ways.

Understand I am not talking about true "hot-dogging" here where a player is doing things for "show". That's usually ego. I am talking about truly oustanding hockey moves that are the result of outstanding skating and balance skills, and great hands. This may or may not involve the occasional dangle if that is what works to keep the play alive, or make the perfect pass, or slip by two defensemen to get in on goal....Just do not confuse the words "skill" with "hot dogging".

Even the "hot dogging" is ok to practice....learning to do this stuff is a great way for a player to improve their overall hand and balance skills, which is why I say elsewhere that the youth should practice this stuff....but applying it in a game is for "show". While the odd bit of showmanship might be appreciated by some of the fans, the "show" must never be truly for ego over team play. At a true pro level, there would actually be very little of this, as most of this skill is needed just to accomplish the basics successfully, and in doing so a "show" is still created.

With all this in place, plus four on four, and limited offsides, full contact inline hockey has the potential to be a real crowd pleaser, but it must not be allowed to degenerate into a clutch and grab/impede game like so much pro ice.

Now that I have successfully emptied my pistol into the corpse...I will shut up.

i only play ice and i was wondering what kind of equipment you wear in roller, wether it's just elbow pads and helments or everything

Generally the average roller hockey player will wear everything an ice player wears minus the pants(long, baggy, unpadded pants replace these) and shoulder pads. Some players also wear protective girdles but from my experience most do not.

Generally the average roller hockey player will wear everything an ice player wears minus the pants(long, baggy, unpadded pants replace these) and shoulder pads. Some players also wear protective girdles but from my experience most do not.

That's basically true even in the full check/contact version...a few wear shoulder pads, but most do not. Many do not even wear girdles.

It's not quite as "pansy" a sport as many from ice are prone to think.....given you have a lot of guys playing in the full contact leagues with less protection than in ice hockey......although this may have more to do with reducing the "heat factor" than a desire to be macho.

That's basically true even in the full check/contact version...a few wear shoulder pads, but most do not. Many do not even wear girdles.

It's not quite as "pansy" a sport as many from ice are prone to think.....given you have a lot of guys playing in the full contact leagues with less protection than in ice hockey......although this may have more to do with reducing the "heat factor" than a desire to be macho.

we're just too hot to handle, which is why we don't wear full equipment :P