Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notorious#29

Bearings

I just took the bearings off my outside skates, and the bearings are far overdue for a cleaning (as I have never cleaned them). I dont have any of that bearing wash stuff, but I just wanted to know if there are any alternate ways of cleaning them. Thanks and fast replys are welcome as I have to put the skates back together sometime tonight since I wont have time tomarrow before our street hockey game.

take the shields off, spray with WD40, spin it off and lube with oil of your choice if any. Replace shields, re-insert and go

yep, spin off the WD-40. WD-40 is not going to harm your bearings, as it is designed to clean and lubricate moving metal parts, automotive carbeurator cleaner works well too. I've always stuck with 3 in 1/Household oil. It's readily available at the Grocery store and usually only cost a few dollars

Just for future reference, there's a ton of ways to get your bearings clean, and using things like WD-40 and carb cleaner will always be a good, common thing to use. Whatever oil you use should be a very light weight oil, such as the 3 in 1 oil, or the oil used on hair clippers if not a skate specific lube. Things like gasoline, paint thinner and acetone can be used as a cleaner, but will shorten the life of the bearing. These substances will clean anything out of the bearings, but will wear down the materials to accelerated failure.