Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thefelixculpa

Wheel hardness based on weight

I am 180 lbs and I have always thought that 78a would be too hard of a wheel for an indoor rink using sportcourt but I was looking over at hockey monkey and they suggest that you do not use 76a wheels unless you are 160lbs or lighter I believe it said.

I've been using a set up of 2 76a on each skate (Front and back) and two 78a in the middle.

I use the rinkrat hotshots and it feels great but I worry about the durability. I've only had this current set up for a little bit and when I go from full speed to a hard stop it almost feels like the front wheel twists or something...

I guess what I am basically asking is will a set up of all 78a hot shots still be grippy enough for sport court?

I'm about your weight (175lbs) and I use to skate on all 78a. You get enough grip with them, but you do notice some slippage at times. I noticed on hard, sharp turns I would fall once and while. The wheels are in perfect condition though. This setup will definitely help me save some money on wheels.

However, I have gone back to the setup which you describe, (76a, 78a, 78a, 76a). I noticed less slippage and better grip, but the only downside is the 76a wheels are already cracking.

I'm a touch more heavy than you are (5'10" 190lbs) and I use the MB816's in a 76-76-78-78 and they work out great for me. I find that when I am playing a lot of defense that the fronts wear out more quickly (skating more for power on the toes while going backwards) but I still get great grip. I find it a great set up for playing forward as I get plenty of grip out of the front 2 wheels and with the harder wheels in the back....I am still able to stop at a moments notice.

I know i don't really fit the profile, but i've been skating on the Bronze Revision wheels, and i'm 6ft 160. (76A) I love the wheels, because i feel i can skate much faster on the floor. I was on the platinum wheels, but they're too sticky for my preference. So, i always prefer the harder wheels.

what would you guys suggest-I am 225lbs. and skating on rink rats mb816's 78a's-playing on both sport court and skate court. Could I go up to 80A's. I am getting about 3-4 months out of these wheels. I play 2 times per week. thanks.

I am 210 and have the following setup 76-76-78-80A on some occasions. For me the problem with the 80A is the sharp pivot situation, however, I can really dig in for straight away speed. Its really a dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

i use "soft" labeda dynasties and i weigh 92kg, they are wearing very well and i play 2-3 times a week... only had to rotate once in 3 months...

what would you guys suggest-I am 225lbs. and skating on rink rats mb816's 78a's-playing on both sport court and skate court. Could I go up to 80A's. I am getting about 3-4 months out of these wheels. I play 2 times per week. thanks.

At your weight, and if you are a pretty hard skater then I would say that you are getting pretty good longevity out of your wheels. Possibly going to an 80a on a couple of your wheels, like the back 2, and see if you are doing better.

I generally use 74s front and back and 76s in the middle (all 76mm wheels on Sprung). For my weight, the wheels are WAY too soft (230 lbs). But anything less and I slide when I turn/stop. I know I am losing speed, but I guess I would rather have the grip.

ps...I play on a pretty slick ice court surface and a roll-on surface 95% of the time...so that may have something to do with it also.

thanks for the feedback-My next wheels will be 80 a's-rink rat 816's-I will start with the back two.

ps-I had a problem with two rink rat wheels blowing out several weeks ago(mb816's 78 a's). They were new wheels. I e-mailed rink rat my pics. They sent me 8 wheels. Rink Rat stands behind their products. Thank you. Rink Rats continue to be my choice...

^^^ never herd of that happening before lol those rink rat dudes are cool though and will exchange the buggered wheels no hassles so im told.

I'm about your weight (175lbs) and I use to skate on all 78a. You get enough grip with them, but you do notice some slippage at times. I noticed on hard, sharp turns I would fall once and while. The wheels are in perfect condition though. This setup will definitely help me save some money on wheels.

However, I have gone back to the setup which you describe, (76a, 78a, 78a, 76a). I noticed less slippage and better grip, but the only downside is the 76a wheels are already cracking.

I really like to skate full speed down the side boards toward the goalline and make a hard stop/lose the guy who is pursuing me and skate back toward the blueline looking to make a sweet pass.

with all 78a wheels on a sport court, would I have trouble making these quick stop/direction changes?

I really like to skate full speed down the side boards toward the goalline and make a hard stop/lose the guy who is pursuing me and skate back toward the blueline looking to make a sweet pass.

with all 78a wheels on a sport court, would I have trouble making these quick stop/direction changes?

That's my move, lol. 78A's never bother me, and when i'm getting into the offensive zone, that's normally my play 80% of the time. Anything softer to me is too soft, and i'm 160 6ft.

speak of the devil....my 76a rink rat hotshot wheels both have cracks in the back after only 4 skates

Rink Rat customer service is amazing...emailed them and told them about this, showed them a picture, and they already sent out new wheels to me with no questions asked.

I am going to trust you and get 4 more 78a...only because you look like you play for michigan!

lol, i don't actually play for the club team. I play with them in alot of the michigan tournaments. Love the guys on the team, very nice guys, and excellent players.