Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aal

Pencil Test - Too Deep

This has probably been discussed before, but I searched and couldn't find it. There's info on the pencil test regarding skates that are not deep enough, but I have the opposite issue. How much room between the pencil and my foot is ok? I can put my finger in between the pencil and my foot. Thanks.

Are the skates sloppy on your feet? Are you getting blisters? Lace Bite? If not I wouldnt sweat it. You could go with some superfeet or shock doctor footbeds to decrease volume if you needed to. Maybe get a thicket tongue sewn on.

Again, if everything is fine as far as your feet in the boots go, I wouldn't worry about it.

My skates don't seem too bad; but I'd like to have the best fit possible. I think I read somewhere that one finger width between foot and pencil was ok, but I don't remember for sure.

I use superfeet in my 40's and I fail the pencil test by a good finger width..so it looks like we have opposite problems..but I dont think any problems have come up because of it..so basically I have the same question as you...even if the volume is to deep or not deep enough and it doesnt seem like there is a problem..is there?

If you don't use Superfeet yet try throwing them in - they'll take up some of the volume

also if it's really bad replace the tongue with a double felt one (that'll cost you somewhat - maybe easier to change skates?)

Skates with too much volume will break down sooner as they will crease in flex zones.

Too much volume would that be a crease that's just below the 4th eyelet?

Any other areas to look for where the boot would break down?

I just tried APX and I can easily pass the pencil test when putting the pencil over the tongue :)

see the pic below...

Is the pencil test still relevant over ALL EYELETS inluding the top ones?

If so does it mean the only way for me to make that skate work is to go custom & move the eyelets back by ~ 1/2" (cut quareters too accordingly to remove the excess material)?

apx_pencil_test.JPG