Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

syinx

Tuuk Lightspeed 2.1 to CXN

Long story short, when I first got my Makos I could not for the life of me stand the forward pitch in the CXNs. Rather than profiling them, I was given a free pair of Tuuk 2.1 Runners/Holders and got them swapped out. Perhaps the holder was mounted incorrectly, but ever since the swap I've had arch problems in my old Makos which caused a fair bit of pain, even after spot-heating and pressing out the problem area.

After somehow wrecking my old Makos in an incident, I was given a new pair for Christmas and decided to keep the CXN holders as I didn't want to deal with the alignment/holder issues again - after all, the CXN was designed to be on the Makos.

Once again, they fit like a charm, and this time the arch issue was a lot less pronounced and felt genuinely comfortable again.

Now here's my problem. In my first two skates with the Makos, they felt odd. I didn't feel off-balance or like I was being thrown forward like I did in my first run with my Makos, but they were definitely weird. I caught the wrong edge skating sometimes, or I felt like my heel was grinding into the ice at times, and my stride definitely feel shorter/choppier.

I understand that the Tuuk 2.1s had a longer runner, and wonder if this is the source of my problem, and that I should profile the CXN/ES4 to a 10ft to compensate for that loss of blade.

Or, is this really just an adjustment period issue and that my stride will become smoother and return to it's usual form once I get used to the new holders? I mean, I can see how the forward pitching on the Makos affect my skating not only in balance, but in skating mechanics like my stride.

Any thoughts or possible remedies to my issue, or should I just buck up and keep skating until I acclimate?

I found quite an adjustment period going from Tuuk 2.0 to Speed Blade 4.0, to the point of wanting to give up on them. I ended up going to a few hours of public skate just to try to get acclimated, or I was going to go back. That said, I am guessing that the adjustment to the CXN holder may be a little more extreme. From what I am hearing and reading, it is worth it to get used to the CXN holder. Just my $.02

Probably not the runner length but rather the holder pitch. The rear tower of the CXN is taller than the LS2, thus pitching you more forward.

Long story short, when I first got my Makos I could not for the life of me stand the forward pitch in the CXNs. Rather than profiling them, I was given a free pair of Tuuk 2.1 Runners/Holders and got them swapped out. Perhaps the holder was mounted incorrectly, but ever since the swap I've had arch problems in my old Makos which caused a fair bit of pain, even after spot-heating and pressing out the problem area.

After somehow wrecking my old Makos in an incident, I was given a new pair for Christmas and decided to keep the CXN holders as I didn't want to deal with the alignment/holder issues again - after all, the CXN was designed to be on the Makos.

Once again, they fit like a charm, and this time the arch issue was a lot less pronounced and felt genuinely comfortable again.

Now here's my problem. In my first two skates with the Makos, they felt odd. I didn't feel off-balance or like I was being thrown forward like I did in my first run with my Makos, but they were definitely weird. I caught the wrong edge skating sometimes, or I felt like my heel was grinding into the ice at times, and my stride definitely feel shorter/choppier.

I understand that the Tuuk 2.1s had a longer runner, and wonder if this is the source of my problem, and that I should profile the CXN/ES4 to a 10ft to compensate for that loss of blade.

Or, is this really just an adjustment period issue and that my stride will become smoother and return to it's usual form once I get used to the new holders? I mean, I can see how the forward pitching on the Makos affect my skating not only in balance, but in skating mechanics like my stride.

Any thoughts or possible remedies to my issue, or should I just buck up and keep skating until I acclimate?

I think it's just the pitch. Going from a Tuuk to a CXN was quite an adjustment for me. I know some people said it wasn't a big deal for them, but i only now don't feel the things you refer to. After 3-4 months, I was still catching edges, falling on my face when doing fast starts and feeling my heels "push" me on tight turns. In the past month I've been pretty comfy on the CXN, but even this morning at drop in, after about 75 min of no subs, I started getting tired and caught a couple edges. I think when I get tired, I stand more upright since the quads are fatigued and that's when I have trouble. So, as intended, the CXN (plus the pitch on the blade itself) forces you into a more aggro position and if you don't skate in that position, you have trouble. At the end of the day, it seems to be a good thing.

Granted, I'm old, so, the adaptation should be quicker for the young guys. Hell, they do everything quicker :(

I finally managed to get acclimated to the skates after about 3 hours of ice time. I do have to watch myself a little in the beginning of my games during the warm ups, as the forward lean really exaggerated the deficiencies I had in my stride, which is good, because this way I can begin to perfect my skating and maintain better form. Thanks for the advice, all of you!