Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tdellaringa

Baking skates at home?

I watched a video on heat molding your skates, but the guy was using a special skate bake oven. I assume I can do this at home, but I am not finding any specific instructions for my Alkali skates. Are there instructions in the box, or is there a video somewhere? I pretty much know how to do it, it's more about what's the proper temperature and if it's doable at home (which I assume it is, I've done my speedskating skates at home before).

Ok, I already watched both, actually. So it sounds like 175 degrees, 6-8 minutes. Pull out on the laces (not up) stand for the first two minutes (to widen the boot, which I sorely need) then sit for another 10 or so until it's done. Then wait 15 hours or so to skate on them (dammit!)

I've left the wheels on when baked in a skate oven, but using a kitchen oven I've always taken them off just to be safe.

It shouldn't matter. I've done both (skate oven and home oven) and I've had good results from both. If anything, place a dry wash cloth/dish towel on top of a cookie sheet and then place the skate on top it, then TURN OFF THE OVEN BEFORE PLACING THE SKATE INSIDE. Use the oven timer. After about 4 minutes, open the oven and try squeezing the top of the ankle. If it's super soft, malleable and hot, remove the skate. If not, leave it in for another 2 minutes and check again. Don't leave it in for longer than 8 minutes!

Well the skates just got here, and they really are pretty sweet. I put them on unmolded just to check them out. They are definitely tight, especially on the right foot (width wise). I'm a little concerned that my big toe seems to be just hitting the front, although I think that may be because my heel is not yet locked down (I laced them kind of tight, but it's not like it will be when they are molded). I followed their guideline of 1.5 sizes below your shoe size, which gave me an 8 (I fit in Bauer 7.5s). There's no way a 9 would fit me though, so hopefully these will work. Am going to mold them a bit later.

Lucky for me it is pouring rain right now, so I am not tempted to take them out before molding :)

And.... the molding is done. I'm a little concerned because they still feel tight up in the toe box and up front. But I guess I will see tomorrow when I get out and skate. I'm concerned they may not be a good fit, but if I skate with them outside, not sure I can return them. But no way to really know if they fit, unless you really get out and skate. Fingers crossed.

If you're having a width issue, get them punched out/stretched out by a local hockey shop. If that's not an option, then you can do it yourself by baking the skate again and taking a blunt object and working the area out until it cools. Similar to this video (DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN, JUST PLACE THEM IN THE OVEN OR USE A HAIR DRYER--I found that it's super easy to overdue it with a heat gun, so stick to the longer/safer methods):

And.... the molding is done. I'm a little concerned because they still feel tight up in the toe box and up front. But I guess I will see tomorrow when I get out and skate. I'm concerned they may not be a good fit, but if I skate with them outside, not sure I can return them. But no way to really know if they fit, unless you really get out and skate. Fingers crossed.

Even after the bake, my toes brushed the toe box when laced up. However the padding in the heel settles after a week or 2 of skating and will give you around an extra 1mm+ of length. As long as your toes aren't really squashed in there, this should just lift your toes off the toe box giving you a near perfect fit.

Thanks for the tips. I've done that kind of adjustment on my speedskates before. It seems to work okay in the heel/ankle area of the boot. Getting fixes lower down by the toe area always seems to be way harder. I'm hoping the padding settling will help - plus I wore regular socks when I molded them. I will either use thinner sport socks or none at all when I skate.

It just didn't feel like the width of the boot changed at all. I'm hoping it did. I've always been a little skeptical with heat molded boots (vs. actually having a mold made of your foot, and a skate made from that, which is what we typically do in speedskating - also much more expensive). My last pair of semi-customs (heat molded) boots for speedskating never molded quite right, and there were spots I could never fix.

Anyway, it's drying up around here. Noon-ish the skates will have been sitting for around 12 hours, I am going to try and go out in the afternoon some time.

At home heat fit verse skate oven heat fit is the bigger issue. The skates will dramatically change shape when you heat fit in a skate oven. I would bet the skates didn't get hot enough and therefore didn't really change shape. A skate oven is just a convection oven. The air swirling around helps penetrate the entire boot (especially the inside glues and stiffeners).