Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tedpenguins

Internal Belt Mod

Has anyone used a pant with the internal belt or has anyone ever added one onto their pants? I prefer having my CA tucked but that leaves me with two options for my pants; tie them to the CA and leave them feeling like they're going to fall off or wear suspenders. I don't mind suspenders but I am a bit shorter than most goalies (5'10") so the jersey hangs a bit on me and i prefer to have a bit of a tuck on my back. I was thinking of using a normal nylon belt that comes with most pants and most likely rig up a floating belt system. A few videos on youtube show people cutting the liner on the pants and a few show just sewing the belt on but that of course wouldn't be a floating belt. Any thoughts?

Sewing a few loops inside is probably all you need to do. To make it floating, you just have to make the loops long enough. Maybe use elastic for the loops. These are just a couple of my thoughts. 

I wear a barrel-shaped breezer and use braces (you call them suspenders) and everything fits just fine and nothing feels like it's falling. Of course I am a Napoleon-sized goalie (5'8.5"), so I end up taking up two inches of inseam length. My sweater also would be illegal in the NHL because it covers nearly to the crotch of my breezers. 

Ended up taking 2 thigh boards and modifying them to make the belt system. I took the elastic strap out of one of the thigh boards and sewed it onto the strap on the other thigh board. It could then fit around my waist and held pretty securely. I tied the thigh board with the attached straps to a loop on the back of the pants.

Tried it out in a game last night and it ended up holding fairly well. As long as I tied my pants to my CA it evened out the weight on the belt and it actually made the pant a whole lot comfier with the extra padding from the thigh board.

On 8/5/2016 at 11:07 AM, tedpenguins said:

Has anyone used a pant with the internal belt or has anyone ever added one onto their pants? I prefer having my CA tucked but that leaves me with two options for my pants; tie them to the CA and leave them feeling like they're going to fall off or wear suspenders. I don't mind suspenders but I am a bit shorter than most goalies (5'10") so the jersey hangs a bit on me and i prefer to have a bit of a tuck on my back. I was thinking of using a normal nylon belt that comes with most pants and most likely rig up a floating belt system. A few videos on youtube show people cutting the liner on the pants and a few show just sewing the belt on but that of course wouldn't be a floating belt. Any thoughts?

I use another option, I use a Carabiner on the loop  at the back of my pants and clip it to the back of my chest protector (through the back lower strap). This way the pants stay up, can tuck or not and everything moves together.  Find it much better than suspenders or trying the chest to the pants.

I wouldn't use elastic on the loops for the internal belt.  It will allow too much "play" on the pants.  Regular nylon webbing for the loops is what pants with internal belts have.  Another option would be to switch the suspender buttons to the inside of the pants in the back.  That way you can wear suspenders as normal, but still tuck the jersey in.  You can buy snap together suspender buttons at a craft or fabric store, or even some Walmarts.

You don't need to cut the liner to add loops for a floating belt.  Buy a Speedy Stitcher.  It will make sewing in some nylon loops a breeze.