Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
boo10

Thermoformable Stick Blades - Why Not?

Lots of interesting opinions here, but the discussion seems to have drifted a bit from my original question.  People are focusing on the idea of taking a straight blade and turning it into a Crazy Ovi, (or whatever other curve you can think of), but I was thinking about much smaller modifications.  For example, I'd love to be able to take a P92 and just close up the face a bit.

Reading through the posts, I think @JR Boucicaut comment about the foams currently in use may be the key.  These foams are meant to provide rigidity and are likely not thermally reactive at all.

12 hours ago, boo10 said:

Lots of interesting opinions here, but the discussion seems to have drifted a bit from my original question.  People are focusing on the idea of taking a straight blade and turning it into a Crazy Ovi, (or whatever other curve you can think of), but I was thinking about much smaller modifications.  For example, I'd love to be able to take a P92 and just close up the face a bit.

Reading through the posts, I think @JR Boucicaut comment about the foams currently in use may be the key.  These foams are meant to provide rigidity and are likely not thermally reactive at all.

The issue is the foams, and ribbed technologies companies use in the blades not allowing them to be adjusted without experiencing fatigue or failure. The current generation of sticks are not made using a very malleable resin and design. The carbon is fine, it's the resin systems and the building process that prevents from altering the structure without it technically failing. You have to understand that skates, like TRUE, and others with a carbon or composite material, are specifically designed to allow for thermoformability but they are not under the same extreme loads and stress as a hockey stick is.

I am not saying it's impossible to design such, more that it would make more sense to go back to two piece shafts instead of building a fused one piece stick. Truthfully, I still questions if there is a dramatic performance difference between one-piece and two-piece/fused sticks other than companies charging you a ton of money. 

Look at companies like Pama Hockey, for example. 

• Like 1