Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceman8310

superfeet vs. ccm custom support footbed vs. graf sidas footbed

does anyone have experience using all three footbeds and if so what were your thoughts?

does anyone have experience using all three footbeds and if so what were your thoughts?

I've used them all. I currently am using the CCM. My reasoning relates to my impression of each of the footbeds themselves.

Superfeet - As I've said on numerous occassions, it's a one size fits all approach that works for some, but not really for all and probably not optimally for any. I have a fairly high arch (but med in CCM), but even so, I felt the Superfeet were too high for me. they induced a pronation or "bending" that made my skating worse. My son has flat feet and I used them for him (addressed in other theads extensively) and they killed his feet and made his "bending", which he displays without footbed, worse. So, they didn't really work for either of us.

Graf sidas (custom) - These are SOOOOOO comfortable. I love them....... except to skate in. Why is that? There is too much to the insole. This is a plus when developing a very complex, customized footbed that really molds to the shape of the foot. The downside though, IMO, was that I lost a feel for the ice. Again, my feet were comfy, but my skating was worse. There is also too much material for them to work in my Makos. They worked ok in my supremes from a fit standpoint, but can't use them in my Makos even if I wanted to. There is alos a Graf non-custom that I used and hated, period. Too mushy and horrible to skate in. I can't even remember if they were comfotable or not, just way too mushy.

CCM - Not as custom as the Grafs, obviously, but with 3 different arch profiles, more individualized than the Superfeet. It turned out when I tried these that part of the reason I didn't like the Superfeet is because pronate some in my right foot. This was exacebated in the Superfeet. In the CCMs, it wasn't as pronounced with a Med as opposed to a High. The one thing I didn't like about the CCMS was that the heel has a "pad", which I'm not sure why since there is no impact in skating other than jumping over the boards. That pad seemed to make the heel kind of mushy, so, I used an exacto knife and cut out all the the pad material down the basic footbed. These are what I use now in my Makos and I'm the happiest of all of them.

If you can't tell, I'm a bit picky about my skates and fit. Other stuff..... not at all.

Smcgreg, your review is really helpful. I too tried the Superfeet (yellow and carbon) and did not like how it bent the foot. I'm now giving the CCM's in a Med a shot. I thought the same thing with regard to the heel pad. I'm glad I came across this and will try to remove it with an exacto. This should make my 190's perfect.

Smcgreg, your review is really helpful. I too tried the Superfeet (yellow and carbon) and did not like how it bent the foot. I'm now giving the CCM's in a Med a shot. I thought the same thing with regard to the heel pad. I'm glad I came across this and will try to remove it with an exacto. This should make my 190's perfect.

Glad you found it helpful. Those pads in the heel still mystify me. I can only imagine they had a running orthotic company make them. It's a pain to cut it out, but works.

I've used them all. I currently am using the CCM. My reasoning relates to my impression of each of the footbeds themselves.

Superfeet - As I've said on numerous occassions, it's a one size fits all approach that works for some, but not really for all and probably not optimally for any. I have a fairly high arch (but med in CCM), but even so, I felt the Superfeet were too high for me. they induced a pronation or "bending" that made my skating worse. My son has flat feet and I used them for him (addressed in other theads extensively) and they killed his feet and made his "bending", which he displays without footbed, worse. So, they didn't really work for either of us.

Graf sidas (custom) - These are SOOOOOO comfortable. I love them....... except to skate in. Why is that? There is too much to the insole. This is a plus when developing a very complex, customized footbed that really molds to the shape of the foot. The downside though, IMO, was that I lost a feel for the ice. Again, my feet were comfy, but my skating was worse. There is also too much material for them to work in my Makos. They worked ok in my supremes from a fit standpoint, but can't use them in my Makos even if I wanted to. There is alos a Graf non-custom that I used and hated, period. Too mushy and horrible to skate in. I can't even remember if they were comfotable or not, just way too mushy.

CCM - Not as custom as the Grafs, obviously, but with 3 different arch profiles, more individualized than the Superfeet. It turned out when I tried these that part of the reason I didn't like the Superfeet is because pronate some in my right foot. This was exacebated in the Superfeet. In the CCMs, it wasn't as pronounced with a Med as opposed to a High. The one thing I didn't like about the CCMS was that the heel has a "pad", which I'm not sure why since there is no impact in skating other than jumping over the boards. That pad seemed to make the heel kind of mushy, so, I used an exacto knife and cut out all the the pad material down the basic footbed. These are what I use now in my Makos and I'm the happiest of all of them.

If you can't tell, I'm a bit picky about my skates and fit. Other stuff..... not at all.

smcgreg - exactly the type of review I'm interested in. I haven't used any of the graf's yet though. My problem with the Superfeet is that it simply raises my heel just enough that the inside left eyelet presses on my ankle bone. What I did like about the Superfeet though is that I seemingly instantaneously had a harder and whippier wrist and snap shot. Can't explain it. Maybe something to do with how they align your heel/leg/hip.

The CCM's - I have the ones for low arches, and I too think it has a squishy heel due to that pad. Did you notice any flatter stability to the heel area, akin to the Superfeet heel in how it's like a little table for your heel and it doesn't roll side to side, after cutting out the heel pad?

I've looked at all insoles I can find on the net and the only ones that have a flat stable heel like the yellows are the blacks. But, the blacks are said to be lower profile, which I take to mean lower in the arch area. But, what I'm looking for is a lower heel, not as raised up as the yellows. That would mean that the black tabs under the heel would have to not be as high as the yellows, which raise my heel too much in the skate.

HI. are you talking about yellow superfeet?

thanks

I've used the superfeet yellows & CCM custom footbeds.

I prefer the CCM's over the superfeet due to the extra arch support.

Also, the overall comfort is better with the CCM's in my opinion.