Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eazy_b97

Beginner Bikes

Hello All,

I threw up a post like this about a year ago, I guess it had to be more because I think it was on CB, but it looks like I may finally be getting a bike. I have been looking into grabbing a car for the last few weeks, because I landed a fairly good summer job, but insurance is just too high. I am looking at over $5,000 a year and my record is pretty decent. I need to keep my bike under 500cc to get a nice insurance break. What I am hearing is around $1500 for insurance, which is affordable. I am mainly looking at sports bikes. Namely the Ninja series, but am definately open to other suggestions. The 250 and 500 look appealing, I know the 250 seems fairly small, but I've read up alot on it. It's supposed to be a good ride and alot of people don't grow out of it. I am 5'11 205lbs, though and thats my main concern. Just being too big for the bike itself. I am calling around to get some quotes tomorrow and have my "Official motorcycle handbook" beside me, so I am getting a little pumped. I am mainly looking for help with my size and other models that are reliable and fairly cost efficient both in the initial price and upkeep/gas. This will be summer transportation, and could see a road trip or two, but nothing excessive. Maybe 2 hours TOPS, but again, I don't need it for that, but it'd be nice to take it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Be careful and just don't pull a Winslow out there.

Yeah, walking proof as to why you shouldn't learn on a bike WAY too big for you.

My one friend learned last year on a used cbr600, then for this summer he bought a bigger bike.

I'd say that's the way I'd advise doing it, start with something small-mid sized and cheap.

I've seen guys use backpack bags on bikes. To me, the first thing I thought when I saw the new ccm bags was they'd work great with a bike.

kind of off topic but how are you supposed to carry hockey equipment on a motorcycle?

I have a backpack, and in a pinch would use that and send my sticks elsewhere. 99.9% of the time, I do have a car around to drive to hockey. This is more of a pleasure ride/buisness ride and for me, hockey and the bike aren't going to be a problem.

what country do you live in? if you live in n.america, the selection of bikes <600cc is pretty slim.

i've ridden a ninja 250 before as well as a zzr250 (dunno if that's available where you are) and i'd say that the ninja might be a bit small for you @ 205lbs. it would definitely be better to have a bigger motor if you do much riding @ highway speeds.

head over to www.advrider.com and seek some advice there. the board is geared towards dualsport bikes and BMW bikes, but they are very knowledgable and willing to help.

what country do you live in? if you live in n.america, the selection of bikes <600cc is pretty slim.

i've ridden a ninja 250 before as well as a zzr250 (dunno if that's available where you are) and i'd say that the ninja might be a bit small for you @ 205lbs. it would definitely be better to have a bigger motor if you do much riding @ highway speeds.

head over to www.advrider.com and seek some advice there. the board is geared towards dualsport bikes and BMW bikes, but they are very knowledgable and willing to help.

Ya, I'm in North America, Canada specifically. Basically I've found a handul of Kawasaki bikes under 500cc, and it seems like a few other companies also the 499cc model bike. For the 250cc, I believe there are 3 models, but the Ninja is the only sport.

what country do you live in?  if you live in n.america, the selection of bikes <600cc is pretty slim.

i've ridden a ninja 250 before as well as a zzr250 (dunno if that's available where you are) and i'd say that the ninja might be a bit small for you @ 205lbs.  it would definitely be better to have a bigger motor if you do much riding @ highway speeds.

head over to www.advrider.com and seek some advice there.  the board is geared towards dualsport bikes and BMW bikes, but they are very knowledgable and willing to help.

Ya, I'm in North America, Canada specifically. Basically I've found a handul of Kawasaki bikes under 500cc, and it seems like a few other companies also the 499cc model bike. For the 250cc, I believe there are 3 models, but the Ninja is the only sport.

Here you go Buell Blast

even though you might say you dont want over 500 cc's you most likely will with riding on highways and all. especially being 205 a smaller bike wont be the best. im not saying its bad but its better to have a better fitting bike. you should look into the yamaha R-6 or the honda CBR-600. they arent bad on insurance maybe 50$ more a month, and are fun and comfy. they are fast too. i would go with these if i was you, but thats just my opinion.

Id push comes to shove, I'll opt to stay under 500cc and take the back roads until I am ready to jump up. I don't believe starting on a 600cc+ bike is a smart decision. At least not from the research I have done.

the decision to stay under 500cc's is a wise one, it's just a pity that there are so few sub-500cc bikes available where you are. getting a 600cc sports as a first bike is definitely not recommended. having all that power available can be very dangerous and intimidating to a new rider.

a friend of mine got the Buell Blast as his first bike...i think he's about 170lbs. he only felt that the bike was underpowered when passing @ highways spds of 70mph+.

For nice bikes to learn on, and develop good bike handling skills, look for something more standard like a GS500 or EX500.

If you have more cash and want to keep the same bike for a while I'd suggest the Triumph Speed Four or Ducati Monster 600. Both bikes will not embarass you at all, are great rides and not seen everywhere.

Lately I've been digging the adventure bikes like the BMW, Triumph Tiger, etc...

I'm starting to look more into cruisers now, but still have my heart set on a EX250. If I go the way of the sport bike, it'll be the Ex250, I may go upto 500 if its a cruiser. I am not willing to make the jump to 600cc on my first ride because there are alot more difference in the power in than the 100cc jump. I think I under-estimated some prices, like gear and actual bike price, but over estimated on insurance, so I am hoping it works out. I'll let you guys know how it all turns out and if you have some gear suggestions, basically what I am looking at, let me know. Ebay links would be appreciated as well, as I am completely green and am looking for the best deals I can find. Hoping to get my M1 later this week, and go for the MSF course in June 10 because of my work schedule.

For nice bikes to learn on, and develop good bike handling skills, look for something more standard like a GS500 or EX500.

If you have more cash and want to keep the same bike for a while I'd suggest the Triumph Speed Four or Ducati Monster 600. Both bikes will not embarass you at all, are great rides and not seen everywhere.

Lately I've been digging the adventure bikes like the BMW, Triumph Tiger, etc...

the big BMW R1xxGS' with the telelever front suspension are amazing and the motors are pretty torquey. nice bikes.

what do you ride?

I started on a honda 650 sort of nighthawk style bike. It was a great bike to learn on and had enough engine for me to grow into as I got more comfortable on it. I've heard people rave about the bandits I think suzuki makes those, as beginner bikes they were fairly affordable. I think you would also do better on insurance on a "cruiser" than a crotch rocket I don't know how old you are but when I was starting out on motorcycles, under 21 was near uninsurable on crotch rocket. Also I don't know how long you've been riding bikes but it is not IF but WHEN you go down, keep that in mind as well and invest in a good helmet, boots, gloves and jacket.

Kind of off topic but this roller hockey coach that my brother knows got into a bike crash into his brother by accident.....yes I'm not really sure what happened as well. but one guy practically doesn't have a calve muscle so might have to get it amputated because of blood loss or severe nerve damage. And the other brother has such bad head trauma his brain is swelling really bad and might die, so they are gonna do a drug induced accoma(sp?).