Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rande

Adapting to Ice

Well this is a Ice and Rollerskate question, so i decided to put it in here.

I am a good roller skater and i want to switch from Rollerhockey to Icehockey, so i want to know how my rollerskating skills are still available on the ice (dont mind the stopping, im just talking about the skating itself).

Like balancing, striding and crossovers.

Thanks.

i just made the switch last year . last summer what i did is went to pick up like 3-4 times a week and me and my friends stayed for public skate afterwards. it really helped me out and by the time the season came by i was as good as if not better then most of the kids in the league

You might want to flatten out the profile of your ice blade if you are accustomed to roller hockey skates.

maybe something like an 11ft radius.

I know spending any amount of time on inlines destroys my stability on ice if I don't regularly do both (ice and roller that is)

the main thing i notice switching from roller to ice and vice versa is the rocker, obviously. i find that when i skate backwards on roller, it's very grippy, and very stable. when you go to ice, it's much more of a balancing act, i find i'm up more on my toes. also, sharp turns are weird because in roller, the enitre skate stays flat, and you have to make your wheels slide a bit, but in ice, you're balanced on a small portion of your skate and must have a much more stable position or else the skate will simply slip out from under you. especially after roller blading for a summer, then going back to ice, i found that each time i did a sharp turn, i'd stay way too flat on my heels and i'd go sprawling.

I had 11' radius skates for years of recreational skating. Once I started playing ice hockey for the first time I upgraded to a normal 9' radius. Turns are much better. I'd just make the plunge and get some normal 9' radius skates. Guys on my team play roller on Sundays and make the switch for week night Ice hockey games all the time.