Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perry94

Fixing a stripped bolt?

okay....I have a set of E-Frames...and as you know, the axles are one piece, with the single bolt screwing into the chassis. Now, I have a slight problem. THe threads in the chassis have stripped. Is there ANY WAY to fix it?

Also, would getting the sole drilled twice be overly bad for durablilty?

Don't know about fixing the bolt but drilling more holes in your boot should be ok... I heard that it's better to make new holes instead of redrilling the ones already there. The frame will be held in place a lot better and less likely to come loose.

You may be able to helicoil it.

Helicoil kit #1

Helicoil kit #2

You'll need to know the size of the threads on the axle so you know which size kit to buy. OSH or any other hardware store should be able to assist in the thread size, as well as have the kits. Minor modifications to the new threads may be required.

If you go this route, please let us konw how it turns out. Good luck!

your gonna have to dremmel out the axle. I had this problem on a bunch of frames. Go to home depot or hardware store and pick up a dremmel kit for a drill. then find the right size and you'll basically have to 'dremmel' the end where you tighten the axle. I've worked in shops and seen some nasty cases of this but most of the time everything can be fixed.

Maybe I misunderstood his comments, but I don't see where he mentions that the axle is stuck in the chassis. To me, it sounds like there are no longer threads in the chassis for the axle to attach to.

If that's the case, why would the axle need to be dremmeled? (just trying to get a picture of what's happening)

that happened to my friends old nikes and his dad just "tapped" it

i dont know exactly what that is, but from what i remember, its like rethreading it.

Do you know how he made it so the axle fit? Re-tapping does make new threads, but the hole will be larger than the one that was originally there, making the original axle threads not fit.

hm...that helicoil stuff sounds interesting...but for almost 40 usd I'd rather just get a new chassis...

yah...re-tapping it won't work...

I don't know any more...