Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chadd

Easton Cyclone

Easton Cyclone Shaft

Background:5' 5" 147lbs

Shaft: Easton Cyclone Graphite 95 flex

Blade Used: Easton Pro-P23 Pattern wood, Easton Hybrid Shanahan (only one game, hucked it out)

Modifications: Junior Stick End Plug, which made it 69.5 inches when placed up against a wall (it won't fit the senior end plug, the end's too rounded).

Initial Impression:

The Cyclone has an awesome colourshift finish. It changes colour according to the angle light strikes it at. I personally think it's pretty tricked out, but hey, not all people are like me.

This shaft is generally smaller, and with rouded edges, it fits my hand perfectly. It's narrow enough so that it fits, but it still feels like it's there.

The first thing I've noticed was the weight. It's pretty light for a $90cdn shaft. It's advertised weight is 270 grams. 10/10(Hey I'm a sucker for colourshift)

Stick feel:

This stick is awesome for stickhandling. Maybe it's because of the light weight, maybe it's because of the end plug balancing out the blade, but it really feels good when you "perform magic", if you know what I mean. You can feel the puck as if you were holding it in your hand, it's that crisp (yes it feels that good!). 9/10

Shooting:

At first I wasn't used to the narrow shaft. I kept messing up my wrist shot (maybe it was the P23 blade though). After a while, though, you'll get used to it and you'll be able to place your wrist shots with relative accuracy. Slap shots go rocketing off the stick though. I've never taken slap shots like that before this shaft (I was usin the old-school hespeler red-and-white sticks). 8.5/10 (For making me take the time to get used to the shaft)

Durability:

Now this isn't something I can REALLY comment on, since I play non-contact rollerhockey, but I can say that this shaft chips on slashes. I don't really know, but I get the feeling that this thing gets pretty ugly looking pretty fast (with the colourshift layer chipping off from a couple of hard slashes). I don't think that shaft strength is necessarily weak, just that the colourshift layer comes off (as I said, I like the coloushift :P ). 7/10

Conculsion:

This shaft is pretty good for the money. I didn't (and don't recommend) expect a synthesis out of this shaft, but the Cyclone is definetly worth the money. The best aspect of this shaft is the puck control, IMHO (besides the colourshift, of course). 9/10

*the newer Cyclone is in Blue, which is saddening, really

Easton Cyclone Shaft

Background:6' 155lbs

Blade Used: Innovative Mogilny

Modifications: removed butt end completely

Initial Impression:

I was looking for a really light shaft to play with and there was a couple left at my work. I've always played with a stiffer stick prior to this and wanted something a bit softer. I also wanted one with a rounded grip and so this was the shaft I was leaning towards.

Stick feel:

I personally love the feel of this stick and the ability to puckhandle because the stick is lighter and I can control the stick better with rounded grips. 10/10

Shooting:

Took a while to get used to this shaft but after a while, my shots were on. The wrist shot feels nice with this stick but I think I can still get a harder shot with my Ultralite. 8/10

Durability:

So far, this stick has held up on some pretty bad slashes considering I play with a bunch of hacks in my beer league. The colorshift has chipped off in quite a few places especially towards the blade end of the stick. Other than the paint chipping off, I don't have any problems with it. I'm willing to bet that my ultralite or rubber will still hold up better in the long run though.9/10

Conculsion:

I go with other sticks at the beginning of games but somehow end up going to this stick by the end. I love playing with this stick because it's so light and well balanced with the inno blade and isn't that bad performance wise. For $100 CAN for a guy who is looking for a really light shaft that is rounded in grip size, this is a great shaft to go to.

9/10

Easton Cyclone Shaft

Background:6' 3" 198lbs

Blade Used: Easton Focus Flex modano

Modifications: Wanted good performance stick with around a 100 flex. Figured I'd give a thinner shaft a try. Liked the unique feel and touch of stick

Initial Impression:

The Cyclone had a tin, rounded shaft which is good and bad at the same time. The weight was a plus and the stick felt pretty balanced. My hands are pretty big so it felt a little different at first. The stick kind of has a distinct feel which I liked. 8/10

Stick feel:

I liked the feel stick handling the puck, felt really smooth and natural. Hands feel a bit quicker with stick (may be due to the thin size and light weight). 9/10

Shooting:

Wasn't extremely impressed as far as shooting goes. Don't get me wrong, the stick has some good performance, but is a little weak in the accuracy dept. This may be due to the thinnes of the stick in my hands (i.e. twisting or lack of feel) For slap shots (don''t take extremely often) the stick performed okay, the flex is a bit torquey and caused the puck to fly a bit. As far as for snap shots, the shaft was pretty good and responsive, however, my accuracy, was not as consistant as with other similar sticks for whatever reason (T Flex, Ultra Lite, Synergy, Z Bubble). I even, upon retrospect saw myself trying to stick handle a bit more to get better shots when using this stick. I usually hit spots pretty well but there just seemed to be minute, yet important instances in which I felt less in control of my shot when using the stick for both slap/snap shots. 7/10

Durability:

The stick is relatively small so expectedly it dpesn't wear paticularly well. Hacks, and slashes can take a toll on this shaft, mine broke 2 mos. after purchasing mine when I was following through hitting someone against the boards...I think on the guys pant/hip area. The stick takes some chips and dings rather easilty and does show some quick signs of wear. 6/10

Conculsion:

An overal decent/good stick. I think however it was not the best choice for myself. A smaller, lighter player would probably benefit a bit more from this twig. I liked it a lot for stickhandling, wasn't a fan of the accuracy, but all in all you should give it a look if you are considering this specific dimension, flex and weight. 7.5/10 (for me)

Product: Easton Cyclone 70 Flex

Intial Impression -The radius shape of the shaft fit nicly in my hands and the weight at 270 grams was 90 grams lighter then my previous shaft. I am not too crazy about the "colourshift" finish to me it just looks like a dark purple anyways. Bottom line this shaft's shape was perfect for me however because of the shape replacing blades was just a pain and I fear that the tennon of the blade will over flair the bottom part of the shaft and might affect durabilty. 7/10 (personal prefernce on the shape)

Flex - I wanted something that had whip even if it was cut down, the 70 was a really good flex for me and this shaft kicked really hard. Once again its personal prefence 9/10

Stickhandling/receiving passes - I think this depends more on the blade and my ability to actually stick handle but because this was a thinner shaft I had better feel then a straight wall boxy shaft. 8/10

Shooting - The whip and shape of the stick made a major differnce on my shooting, I could actually get a good grip on a senior shaft. I liked the kick on this thing but I needed a little time to get use to the shaft. The shape really made the differnce and I cant claim I was shooting rockets but I got hardershots off with this shaft since it matches my needs prefectly. 9/10

Weight and balance - Its one of the lgihtest senior shafts on the market and paired up with my super blade heavy blade it still felt extremely light, with a graphite blade this could very well be lighter then any fancy OPS. 10/10

Durability - This is my biggest concern because this stick is thinner it probally wont last too long. After just about a month of use this is one ugly stick, I got slashed many times and the paint is chipping off in chucks and I can see the graphite just beneath the paint. I heard from many of my friends that this shaft wont last too long but so far its intact. 8/10.

Conclusion - This is basicly my custom stick, I needed something with a smaller radius and extra whip and thats what this shaft delivers. Great stick, just wished Easton flaired the bottom portion of the shaft a little bit so its easier to replace blades. I am not big on cosmetics but this shaft is ugly(even before any use). If you have smaller hands and wnat whip even if you cut it down a lot then this is for you. Matches my demands perfectly but just a few issues 8/10.

My hieght is 5'11 and my weight is 210

Product: Easton Cyclone 70 Flex

Intial Impression: Looked like a very good stick. Felt nice and the price wasn't bad either. Awesome color to. 9/10

Flex: The flew wasn't something I would expect from a stick this cheap. It was perfect for me. Couldn't ask for better. 10/10

Stickhandling/receiving passes

This was wonderful stick. The stickhandling on it was wicked. As I felt so much more free then my other sticks. On the reciving end i could catch about anything with this. I have gotten so use to this I could catch passes in the air blind folded probally. 10/10

Shooting

Wow shooting with this thing was amazing. I could hit any target with this stick. I liked the kick on it very well. As whipped stated before the shape of the stick takes awhile to get use to. Other then that the goalies will be hating you. 10/10

Weight and Balance

The weight was extremly light for a 79 dollar shaft. It was unbelivable and the balance was awesome to. 9/10

Durability

Unlike the others who have had there sticks for a few months. I have had mine for 3 years. And I play 3 to 4 times a week. True the paint job sucked though. But this stick has gone through hell and back. 10/10

Conclusion

For the amount of money it is worth it is a awesome stick. I have to think this is my personal favorite of all time. Easton did a really good job on the shaft. Nice job boys.