Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dix0r

beating teams that play dirty...

there's a team in the beer league i play at that's notorious for playing dirty. they hit the goalie after every play, try to fight every game, spit in guys faces, take lots of cheap shots, they've even broken some bones from what i hear. then they'll run up the score, and this is in novice league - one level up from the worst. apparantly they were going to get kicked out but they couldn't find a team to replace them, so they let them stay, even though many of the teams seriously considered not showing up to the games against them.

not sure if there's truth to this or not, but supposedly a few of them are cops and a couple of them own karate studios. man are they jerks on the ice though.

last time we played them, it was 5-1 for them after the 1st period. final score was 7-3 i think. there was only one fight, when our goalie had enough of getting hit after he covered the puck up, so he knocked the guy down and started pounding on him. then the ref skates up and he had this look on his face like "i didn't do anything," heh.

anyways, we played em again this week and had a talk in the locker room - let's not say anything back to them, skate away if they want to fight, don't get any stupid penalties, etc. we wanted to beat them cleanly. they were beaking and taking cheap shots and we ended up beating them 9-1, and they're the first place team. it was sweet, running up the score on the team who always does it to other teams :]

i got two kinda iffy tripping penalties, one when the guy stepped on my stick blade and fell, and the other when i went leg to leg against a guy and he ended up on his ass. i think he kept trying to get me the rest of the game, they called an elbow against him once, and i think some other stuff too.

it was just kind of sweet to be able to know how to provoke them without really doing anything. for example, one of the jerks on their team sits in front of the goalie, i go to start pushing him out, and he starts throwing elbows. he got 2 penalties for that. they get mad at us, we don't do anything back, and they start yelling at eachother. then they just started playing like crap.

sorry for the pointless post...i was just happy they deserved to get lose bad and we were the ones to do it :]

In my league, if it ever got as bad as you say, the other teams who have to play the goons would jointly approach the organizers and get them kicked out.

If that didn't work, I would suggest my team pull a no show and not even play them.

Keep in mind that leagues are businesses, so if it's made clear to the organizers that players don't want to be on the ice with the goons, the ones running the show should quickly realize it's in their best interest to get rid of them!

Good luck,

JJ

We have the same. they're a team of all cops. Some of them are the nicest guys you'll meet, but there are 3 or 4 that can get away with anything. I am not usually affraid to play, but against these guys I keep my eye open.

The head of our league coaches them in an inter-city service league.....so our complaints are brushed off.

Its funny these guys are in the ADULT league and think there should be fighting and full hard core checking. now thats fine, but they play in the B league......if you want to play that tough go to the A and play minor and pro players that come down from time to time.

we have that problem in my league, only thing is, theres 4 mens divisions, b, a2 a1 aa. b is guys starting out, and they get pissed when younger guys play in that league, a2 is good competition and very even, not alot of chippiness since they all know theyre not going anywhere, and its just fun not too serious, a1 is where the guys think theres scout in the stands, only thing is theres hardly any talent in that league, way too much goonery, is that a word? anyway, aa is the cleanest league with professionals palying in it. theres only 4 teams in b six in a2 six in a1 and six in aa. for my whole area, next city to play hockey in is 3 hours away. theres noway that the league could just kick a team out, theres less than 200 adult hockey players in my area. really sucks since most of us just play for the fun of it. you guys did the right thing by not responding to them. thats how i act when people are starting crap, its not backing down, its just not being an idiot on the ice. its a good thing. :D

If that didn't work, I would suggest my team pull a no show and not even play them.

Keep in mind that leagues are businesses, so if it's made clear to the organizers that players don't want to be on the ice with the goons, the ones running the show should quickly realize it's in their best interest to get rid of them!

It's about money too. If these organizers dont care then there is nothing you can do. In my area there is not another league even close to me that I can swithc to, so I am screwed.

And in my case since these guys are cops they think they can do what they want.

We have tried the no show, but some teams will not do it. It is tough to get 9 teams to not show up after they pay 200 bucks or so...

Good Luck,

keep your head up.

Oh, in my area I'm lucky because there are more teams than leagues who can fit them in!

It's great when supply and demand work in your favour as my league kicked two teams out last year. Team 1 got booted because they were too good to play in our top tier. Team 2 was punted because they had two major a-holes and they were given the ultimatum of either the idiots go or the team goes. The team called the league's bluff and the next thing you know bye bye Bears!

JJ

In my league, if it ever got as bad as you say, the other teams who have to play the goons would jointly approach the organizers and get them kicked out.

Every other team tells the league they won't play if the "bad" team is permitted in the league and you problem is solved. You may actually have to miss a couple weeks to prove you mean it but it will work. Would they rather have money from all of the teams except one, or just that one team?

theres noway that the league could just kick a team out, theres less than 200 adult hockey players in my area.

Off topic but...we had a total of 52 players for our mens league last year. Everyone for first year players to AA guys paly in the same league. :(

I played in a beer leage with a team like that a little while ago. We did what you said just played it cool and the score was something like 6-1 (we ended up winning) in the end. My last shift of the game (with 40 seconds left) I ROCKED this guy at mid ice while he was looking back for a pass and skating forward. The entire bench stood up and started yelling. I got booted but got to drink free that night with the team. It's teams like that that can hack and chop all game then bitch and cry when someone throws a clean check that I love doing that to.