Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eazy_b97

Golf Equipment Questions

Hey Guys,

I have been a very casual driver over the last 4 years, which is when I got into the sport. We're talking about maybe 2-3 times a year hitting the range and once a year on a crappy executive course. This year I have been out to the range a bit more and actually working on my game. Starting with my irons, trying to get the kinks out, get a real swing and go from there. I am looking to buy a set of clubs today. There's a few good sales going on around here. I plan to buy a decent set of Irons ($300cdn ish) then grab a knock-off cheapo big-head driver at a close-out place. Any advice on what I should be looking for in this price range? As I am checking out the clubs what should I be looking at? What does an 11-pc iron set usually include? Another problem is, I have always been a LH shot and batter, but in golf I find my swing is alot better gold Right handed and I have learned to feel much more comfortable there. However I seem to feel more comfortable from the left side. Will the irons come with a putter? If not should I go with the lefty, or force myself (which won't be overly difficult as I can go from either side) to be a righty?

Thanks in advance guys.

PS - I don't plan to use my driver alot right now, because simply, I am not good enough. As I get better and improve, I will look to upgrade my whole set, but notable the cheapo driver.

personally, i wouldnt spend the $300 at any of your generic sporting good stores, you get just pure garbage for that money.

your better off with a good set of used irons or pick up a set of knock offs that are assembled by a club fitter. knock offs if made properly with good set of shafts, are as good as anything you can by at <insert generic sporting goods> stores here.

never buy the 11 piece set.. just a waste...

i have seen way to many begineers waste their money

as for the huge headed driver, get a club fitter to do it for you, you'll be much happier, and they will use better parts.

in general, the generic sporting good stores, use just awful poor quality stuff.

imho, look for good quality shafts, companies like true temper or harrison for irons,

and drivers, i personally like ust or penley.

heads are pretty much the same... the shafts are what makes the difference...

i would say they are the overpriced generic golf store...

they occasionally have good sales, but its really hard to tell

dont buy any of their less known brands... jazz etc..

nor do i recommend you buy wilson... dunlop..

stick with titleist, calloway, cobra, mizuno, anything you would see on the pgatour...

but i doubt you will find anything in the $300 price range...

i would try to pick up a used set of irons on ebay

just make sure you know if your a stiff or regular shaft... its not like hockey

drivers you really want to get fitted...

unless your a senior, dont buy graphite shafts except in your driver.

how far do you hit your 5 iron? no roll

how far do you hit your driver? no roll

on average not including the banana slices...

Regular without a doubt, and I'd advise against the big head for your initial driver. You want to learn the fundamentals ie) Swinging on plane, hitting the sweetspot, weight transfer, etc, before you go to town with a 400cc+ clubhead.

How would I know whether I am a stiff or regular?

Shaft stiffness is related to swing speed. Case in point, Ernie Els, not a hard swing at all, all smooth. Hits the ball 300+ every time. If you are a beginner you will most likely need a regular flex shaft, or need to fix your swing. You won't be swinging hard enough yet to get what you need out of a stiff. Graphite shafts are for benders, go with steel. I would suggest you get a set of Ram's. FX Pro's from 98-2000 are nice irons. Going for 300 range and you will be able to find them. Golf Town is a solid store, and they know their stuff, at least most of them (they have a few Perani's-like employees). I don't buy from them (my dad's got his connections...) but I know that they're obviusly the SFS of Golf. I don't know if you should splurge on a nice driver yet, but go for something big headed. 400cc's will do the trick. Possibly a Jazz or older (02-03) Mizuno.

Golf clubs are all PP, just like hockey, you will find what you like and what you don't.

At this point I will ask why one says go with, and the other says stay away from the 400cc+ driver?

My, very limited, understanding of the "big heads" was a larger sweetspot which makes it more difficult to "miss" my shot. This definately seems like a plus for a beginner.

The regular (or less if possible) seem like a perfect fit for me. I am currently not a "big swing" guy, and I know my Dad hammers the "let the club do the work" philosophy into me, so I think they'll work well with my game.

What should I look for in a putter?

The nice thing with golf clubs as opposed to hockey sticks, is that most stores will let you test them out before you buy them. When I was looking for new clubs I went and hit clubs at a store for a good 2-3 hours with a salesperson who knew a lot about which clubs were good for which swing. I ended up getting Nikes, which is the exact opposite of what most people told me I should get. If I were you I'd just go and hit clubs and see what feels natural to you. I've never been to Golf Town, do they have an indoor range set up?

I ended up with some Ram Fx3 Irons (3-PW), a paradise Putter (which I really like) and a Fatboy II 460cc Driver. In total I spent $512, I got the Irons, a driver, a putter, Stepdown Tees, Brush Tees, a glove, Nike balls (12) and a golf bag. It was about what I was expecting. I spent more on the driver than I expected, but less on the irons. I had these and some Tommy Armour Irons in my hands, but went with the Rams as I remembered the name and the salesman was EXTREMELY helpful. I think I may be back up there for a Popeye head cover and a pair of shoes. I would've went and tested everything out, but there was a 30 minute wait and they were limiting people to 5 minutes.

How'd I make out? Still have the receipt and everything is exchange/refundable

Go on a less busy day and try everything out. A friend of mine got a whole set of cheap ram clubs and he hated them, the irons felt all wierd and one day at the range two of the heads of the drivers broke off on back-to-back shots.

Did you hit your clubs at all? When you go back to get the other stuff, I'd really suggest hitting them in the store, even if its just for 5 minutes before you use them on the course or range. I know that when I was testing out clubs I could tell almost instantaneously whether or not the club felt right to me, so the 5 minutes could be very beneficial. The last thing you'd want to do is go out to the course, hit your clubs once, realize you dislike them, and not be able to return them because they're used.

Golf Town is good. Actually it may be the best store I've been for golf. I don't want to brag or anything but a 150 yard 5 iron is good for a beginner like you. However, for a 7 year experienced golfer like me..i usually hit a light 7/strong8. Look into Mizuno or Wilson for starting out. TNT are also good for beginners but may be a little more expensive.

As bad as it sounds, I am not good enough to notice a difference and these were the only Irons, not in a set (with all woods and junk), that I could afford. These are supposed to be near the mid-top of the line, and the guy at the store was saying their wasn't a huge difference between the Ram FX5 and the Tommy Armour Clubs I was looking at, which were $100 more. I'll play these all year, and see how they are. I have some older guys I golf with who tend to update regularly and I'll give their junk a go when I update. Thanks for everyones help.

Honestly, I've used about 5 different irons to try and get a feel, but I just don't notice a difference. I'm sure as I get better I will, but not as of right now.

What are some good, indoor at home training tips? I like to work on my swing in a very short manner (I have a 7fot ceiling) I am thinking of getting those "pop" balls for like $10 which are foam, but pop when struck well.

Work on your grip while watching tv and on the couch. Flexibility training and working on tempo will also help lots. For your grip, just grip the club, make sure you can't see your top hand (the whole hand). If you have a glove, make sure you can't see the logo on it. Sorry for being general, its hard to describe.

My dads taking lessons, and has a tape thats really good for grip. I'm working on it alot. Working on the "V's" the knuckles, holding it in my fingertips rather than palms, etc..

honestly use the clubs you have to develop a love for the game...you dont need to be the best golfer ever when just beginning so you dont need to best clubs in the world. i have wilson pro staff clubs which my mom won for me from work and although they probably arent the best i dont give a shit because i face the fact ill never be on the pga tour. i just play with friends to have fun and you dont need $1000 gear to do that. im sure you have tons of other things you would love to spend the money you saved on so do that. by the clubs the pros use when you settle down later in life and get to play a lot more regularly and have the money to do so. unless your freakishly good which then i recomend you go spend all your monye on good clubs and try and make a living at golf. just my 2 cents, not that its worth much.

I have no problems with that. I am not buying new clubs, I just wanted the best "bang for my buck". I had the clubs out tonight, I'll be out again on Monday (first time on a course this year :)). I really enjoyed them tonight, obviously I have that new buyers glee, but I actually noticed a difference hitting these, I think its the "oversized" and "weights" which are alot different than my dads, and Driving range's 20+ year old clubs. The Fatboy was nice, had some decent shots, finished off with a nice 250 drive (I almost hit the sign :)) but that was by far my best shot with it. I still need to work on everything, and plan to do so. I'm really like everything right now, hopefully this feeling keeps up as I go on. I really appreciate everyones help, and I'd expect alot more to come from this thread.

Buying a ten-pack of those white plastic whiffle balls that are tiny and hitting them in your backyard will improve your swing. You can have full swings and the whiffles only go 15-25 yards.

Anyone have any experience with the smooth Tempo clubs? I got it fairly cheap, it's a hybrid, 16 degree loft. Not sure the "name", it says Smooth Tempo, then has Tour 16 degrees. The shaft is a Bi-Matrix RXi and the grips pretty nice. I needed a bit of an "inbetween club" to hit, and this was only $20.