Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

New swag in the shop

Couple questions. First, i have nasty corns on my ankles and i dont know if thats normal skate wear or if my feet have just been abused in bauer skates for my whole life. Right now i have the v-12s size 7D and like the past 5 pairs of skates or so i've been tearing holes in the fabric of the skates where the corns are (both feet on either side of the heel of my foot, pretty much directly out from where the achilles tendon stops). Im wondering if maybe bauer's are just not the right fit for my feet. According to the bauer size thing (where you put your foot in and slide the widths to match up) I should be in a 7E (doesn't bauer/nike only have D/EE?). Also, the sides of my feet kill me just about every skate. It's the outside of my feet, inbetween where my knuckles of my toes are and my heel. I guess my question is with the new 8090, would a D fit me? If not, would a EE in 8090/v12/XX be better? Or, should I go for the s500 -- the less stiff skate would probably not hurt my feet as much right? I need to make a decision relatively soon (next month or so) so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

about the sides of your feet hurting, you should try tying your skates slightly looser in the forefoot, i have the same problem and tying them slightly looser in the forefoot seems to help. If you have corns that rub away the lining, i wouldn't suggest 8090's, the liner and padding, though very well fitting, is a bit delicate.

Couple questions. First, i have nasty corns on my ankles and i dont know if thats normal skate wear or if my feet have just been abused in bauer skates for my whole life. Right now i have the v-12s size 7D and like the past 5 pairs of skates or so i've been tearing holes in the fabric of the skates where the corns are (both feet on either side of the heel of my foot, pretty much directly out from where the achilles tendon stops). Im wondering if maybe bauer's are just not the right fit for my feet. According to the bauer size thing (where you put your foot in and slide the widths to match up) I should be in a 7E (doesn't bauer/nike only have D/EE?). Also, the sides of my feet kill me just about every skate. It's the outside of my feet, inbetween where my knuckles of my toes are and my heel. I guess my question is with the new 8090, would a D fit me? If not, would a EE in 8090/v12/XX be better? Or, should I go for the s500 -- the less stiff skate would probably not hurt my feet as much right? I need to make a decision relatively soon (next month or so) so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

How often do you skate and for how long? Have you had the corns (they are not really corns) long? Do you skate with socks?

During the season I skate.....probably 5-6 times a week from about august until march. So that, for the past 5 or so years. I've had the "corns" for about as long as i can remember, i always thought i just had weird shaped ankles. And yeah, i skate with socks. Corns are supposed to be like callouses built up by the body to protect against pressure spots. If the nike/bauer's ive been using are too stiff then it would make sense that there'd be a lot of pressure there, thus the corns..

With the ccm vector and the bauer xx sill around 600$ in canada, you better beleve that those are going to be around that too....

I'm a just whait for the price on the graf 703 to come down cause the G series are coming.. or i might just pay 600$ fof the G series if they feel good :ph34r:

During the season I skate.....probably 5-6 times a week from about august until march. So that, for the past 5 or so years. I've had the "corns" for about as long as i can remember, i always thought i just had weird shaped ankles. And yeah, i skate with socks. Corns are supposed to be like callouses built up by the body to protect against pressure spots. If the nike/bauer's ive been using are too stiff then it would make sense that there'd be a lot of pressure there, thus the corns..

The corns/calluses (you are right about the names, they are basically the same thing) on your feet are from poorly fit skates. Usually hockey players get them on the back of one side of the ankle or on the ball of the inside of the foot. Your problem is either from having your skates too big or you have narrow ankles/heels. When you put your skates on and bend your knees, your toes should just "feather" the front of the skate. At this point you should not be able to move you heel up and down in the skate, if you can you will get blisters and eventually calluses. If your fit is okay then you will probably need to go to a custom skate where you keep the front width the same "D" but change the ankle width to a narrower "AA". I have never done it with Bauer but I know CCM does it and is like an additional $75.00 US. It usually takes about 8 weeks but is faster in the off season. As far as the stiffness goes, if you are skating that much you need to stick with a high end skate or you will be buying skates every six months.