Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whip

Conditioning hitting the weights

I recently joined a gym and one of the staff members designed a work out routine for me that was focused on hockey and I just have a few questions on working out. He recommends doing about 14-16 reps and 2 sets. The leg machines I use are: the leg press, leg extention, leg curl and single calf raises and for upper body:chest press, seated row, shoulder press, lat pulldown, bicep curl and each day I do differnt core circuits as well.

He told me that 45 seconds of rest is all I need inbetween sets? is this true?

I know that working out means forcing a muscle to grow after overloading it, so after the workout am I suppose to be sore? and what are some indicators that I ve gotten a good workout?

As for cardio I use the bike and go at 132 Bpm and around 90 Rpms for 30 mins, is this good enough? I am looking for a cardio exercise that will enable me to take a longer shift without getting tired out.

Finally, as mentioned above I workout 5 times a week with proper rest so when can I expect to see physical changes?

Thanks

Whip

I think you may need more variations for your cardio respitory work out...biking is great, but adding in running, stairs, inclines would help

and 5 times a week is more than enough

It depends on what you're going for. Most hypertrophy (growth oriented) programs have an emphasis on lots of reps and around 10-15 sets. HST is a bit different in that you do two weeks of 15, then two of 10 then two of 5. The power oriented programs I've seen have had different days for each muscle group with an emphasis on intensity, so they usually have between 3-8 reps.

As for rest, that's individual. You want to rest enough that you can go at it with the same strength but not so much that you can't, it takes a while to see how long it takes you because it's a personal thing, but it should be between 1-2 minutes. Also, for your legs do squats, regular deadlifts and stiff leg deadlifts. The leg press and leg curl are ok, but nothing beats out the squat and sldl. Lunges are great, too.

That and there's nothing for your triceps in there really. It's similar to HST (www.hypertrophyspecific.com) but that's not a strength oriented program and they even say so on their website.

That said, if your'e just starting to work out you'll see gains no matter what you do as long as you follow some sort of routine and go hard.

Also, limit your workouts to about 45 minutes. Any longer and you're doing your muscles no good. And nutrition can't be stressed enough. If you eat the same amount while you're working out as you did while you weren't working out you won't see any serious mass gains, your body needs calories and taking in fewer than you burn isn't going to put on any pounds.

make sure you get some core workouts in there too and make sure to warm up and cool down well. try to have a 3 protein to 1 carb ratio too(im not sure abotu this one can someone clarify that?)

Try also to keep most of your carbohydrates complex, with a high glycemic index, so it takes longer to break down, obviously you dont want that before competition but overall its healthier. Whole grain is a good source for complex carbs..

I disagree with a set number of given reps. You want to go until exhaustion. Too many times i see people say im going to do 10 reps, and bang 10 reps out with ease. The whole concept is to lift HEAVY, meaning those last 2 or 3 reps should be an absolute slut to complete. That is where strength gains are found and comfort zones are expanded.

I completely agree with Cavs. I've always said that 90% of the reps you do are set up for the 10% that are effective.

Depending whether I have a partner, I either do one or one-and-a-half set(s) to complete failure, then on to the next exercise. What I mean by this is if I have a partner, he'd obviously helps me with the last two to three reps. If I'm by myself, I'll quickly lower the weight about 15%-25% to push another few reps to failure.

It's fairly intense doing this, particularly if you're able to get to the next exercise quickly, but your weight workouts are brief and leave plenty of time for recovery.

It depends on what you're going for. Most hypertrophy (growth oriented) programs have an emphasis on lots of reps and around 10-15 sets. HST is a bit different in that you do two weeks of 15, then two of 10 then two of 5. The power oriented programs I've seen have had different days for each muscle group with an emphasis on intensity, so they usually have between 3-8 reps.

As for rest, that's individual. You want to rest enough that you can go at it with the same strength but not so much that you can't, it takes a while to see how long it takes you because it's a personal thing, but it should be between 1-2 minutes. Also, for your legs do squats, regular deadlifts and stiff leg deadlifts. The leg press and leg curl are ok, but nothing beats out the squat and sldl. Lunges are great, too.

That and there's nothing for your triceps in there really. It's similar to HST (www.hypertrophyspecific.com) but that's not a strength oriented program and they even say so on their website.

That said, if your'e just starting to work out you'll see gains no matter what you do as long as you follow some sort of routine and go hard.

Also, limit your workouts to about 45 minutes. Any longer and you're doing your muscles no good. And nutrition can't be stressed enough. If you eat the same amount while you're working out as you did while you weren't working out you won't see any serious mass gains, your body needs calories and taking in fewer than you burn isn't going to put on any pounds.

If you're new to lifting make sure you have one of the staff members or somebody that knows what they are doing watch you when you squat or do the dead lift. If you do either of those lifts wrong it can be really bad for your back. We have one player out right now because of that, and had a different one out last year for the same thing.

Theo: usually 1-5 is considered limit strength, 6-12 is considered hypertrophy range, and 15+ is considered muscular endurance training. Lifting for power is more related to the speed of the lift rather than the reps of that set.

RE: 45 seconds rest. If you are jumping between muscle groups, like doing squats first, and resting 45 seconds and then doing bench presses, this is a common technique for building endurance/aerobics as well as muscles.

If you are squatting, waiting 45 seconds, and then squatting again, or even some other leg exercise, this is definitely NOT enough time for the muscle to recover. There is not harm in this short rest time, but since your muscle is not recovered you will not be able to go heavy, thereby negating the ability to stimulate muscle growth. Some say you should wait up to 3 minutes in-between, but I seldom have the patience. 1 1/2 minutes works for me.

As for leg extension machines--they are the work of the devil! This is probably the worst machine in gyms today. I strongly recommend you not use it, or if you do go very light (able to do 25 reps). These things blow out your knees!

Theo: usually 1-5 is considered limit strength, 6-12 is considered hypertrophy range, and 15+ is considered muscular endurance training. Lifting for power is more related to the speed of the lift rather than the reps of that set.

Lets not pull teeth here.

But here is my bibliography:

Chambers, Total Hockey conditioning

The Max power should be slow lift, right? 10-20 should be fast. 20+ should be explosive?

Whoever told you that isn't really reading about performance enhancing training. You don't wan tto do explosive reps for that high a volume a set, you will lose speed, and in power training, you are trying to get your muscles to push as much weight as possible as fast as possible, so slowing down will simulate limit strength training when you start to run out of gas. when you're lifting weights, unless you're trying to go for conditioning, don't lift much more than 15 reps

Just a few more questions:

The core is probally the most important area for a hockey player so I was wondering if its possible to over train this area. Does the area need rest? Right now I am working the core 5 days a week but on one day I will focus on a certain part and the next day I will work a diffent part then the next day I will do the same core exercieses for day 1 meaning that the area gets atleast one day of rest, I was thinking of maybe working the core 7 days a week, is this over training?

As for cardio I do 30 mins of cardio switching from the cross trainer and the bike for 5 days a week and work at a heat rate of 132 bpm, is this a good rate considering I am 17. I am also considering doing cardio 7 days a week so I was wondering if thats over training?

Yeah, core is important in that it supports other muscles. But a lot of exercises, like squats, deadlifts, hang cleans work the core along with the legs, back etc, as a full body motion. Full body motion is the key. Squatts are preferred over using a leg press machine, for example.

hey ,i just foudn a mostly weightless set of excersises in case someones interested. i know somone was interested a while ago in a thread.

http://www.musclenet.com/weightlessworkout.htm

and ,my friends making a fuss about me doing 12 reps of 600 700 800 and then 15 of 1010 going down to around 90 deegrees each time and thinks i somehow cheated or didnt go down far enough cause thats alot of weight to go down as low as i did. is he making a big deal of nothing or is that alot of weight to go down as far as i did?

Me and a friend travel almost daily to a gym just down the road. We work on arms and legs mainly. Legs is a big thing for battling in the corners, you get low and nobody moves you (sort of like Sidney Crosby). Arms is good for overall strength. Personally when i weight train i do 10 reps in 3 sets. I find it works out fine. If you want i will post the routine we go through. The routine is mainly for hockey, but overall stanima.

Me and a friend travel almost daily to a gym just down the road. We work on arms and legs mainly. Legs is a big thing for battling in the corners, you get low and nobody moves you (sort of like Sidney Crosby). Arms is good for overall strength. Personally when i weight train i do 10 reps in 3 sets. I find it works out fine. If you want i will post the routine we go through. The routine is mainly for hockey, but overall stanima.

Itd be great if you posted it.

100 posts!

Ok we're heading on to the gym tomorrow so i will copy down a bunch of info that will suit you. What all our excercises are, What they do for you. So i will post it tomorrow night no worries :D

Heres what my coach gave every one on my team, and we do 10 reps of 3 sets, 3x a week.

Core strength program

Upper body

-bench press

-incline bench press

-military press

-Pull-downs

-Biceps curl

-triceps curls

-wrist curls

Torso

-sit-ups

-back extension

-Lateral raises

Lower Body

-squats

-leg flexion

-leg extension

-heel raises

-Lateral leg pulls(inside and outside)

Hope this helps :blink:

Heres what my coach gave every one on my team, and we do 10 reps of 3 sets, 3x a week.

Core strength program

Upper body

-bench press

-incline bench press

-military press

-Pull-downs

-Biceps curl

-triceps curls

-wrist curls

Torso

-sit-ups

-back extension

-Lateral raises

Lower Body

-squats

-leg flexion

-leg extension

-heel raises

-Lateral leg pulls(inside and outside)

Hope this helps :blink:

That's one of the worst sport preparation list of exercises I have ever seen. First off, and I'm not blaming you, ditch the barbells for dumbbells for all upper body. Second, ditch all the machines on there in favor of a floor based free weight or even bodyweight counterpart. Here's my counter workout:

Incline dumbbell press, dips, pullups/chinups, fingertip pushups, upright rows (to nipple height), dumbbell shoulder press

Hanging leg raises, exercise ball crunches, Russian twists, and cable crunches

Squats, deadlifts, standing and seated calf raisers, and maybe some diagonal lunges.

Most coaches know very little about athletic development in the gym, so it's not his fault. This is a stock athletes workout list that I've seen for a couple different sports, and it works some, but that's just related to getting the players started lifting. You want to also do balance work for stabilizors and conditioning off ice. PM for more

whoever said working the arms is importat just made a stupid comment. Your back, chest, and shoulders are all much more important. I'll edit in something comprehensive tomorrow morning if I remember...