Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alexz

Recommend CCM Tacks replacement

Hi,

I've a question about replacing my current CCM 755 Tacks roller skates. I've skated on about four different pairs of Tacks over the past 8-9 years. I've had a couple of pairs of lower end 455's and have skated on a pair of 755's the last 3 years or so. I've also been skating on a pair of ice 852's over the last 4 years or so. I wear shoe size 8-8.5 and have always been skating in size 6.5 Tacks. These have always fit me _amazingly_ well; I've never had to have a 'break-in' period although the skates fit me nice and snug.

But, all good things must come to an end, and my 755's are beginning to fall apart. Since CCM no longer makes roller Tacks, can anyone suggest skates with similar boot fit as the venerable Tacks? I tried the then new CCMs a few years ago (can't remember the line name; whatever that first 'roller-specific' line was). Demo'ed them in size 7 of one of the upper-end skates in the line and pretty much hated them: too narrow and stiff in the front. I've since heard that the PF line is much better.

So, again--can anyone suggest skates with similar boot fit as the original Tacks? Or am I stuck with the rigmarole of getting ice Tacks and mounting a roller chassis?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

I skated on those exact skates (the 755) for many years if those are the ones with the Sure Grip flat level chassis. They lasted forever and I still use them for outdoor occasionally.

However once it was time to start searching for something new I went with an ice boot and mounted a chassis on there. I originally used the 1152 then recently the 652. Now keep in mind that NOTHING will be exactly like the old 755 since you're talking about a few years difference and CCM has changed their boot up a bit (lining, etc...). I'd suggest the 652 (or you could possibly find a 752) mainly because I had problems with the 1152's carbon sole splitting and cracking. However neither had that super comfy feel of my old 755s. But I learned to deal with them as with any new skate.

You can find some decently priced high-end chassis out there on some websites if your LHS doesnt have a large selection (most don't) and usually your LHS will mount them for under $25 and possibly even for free if you purchase the ice hockey skate there.

Thanks guys. Sounds like getting an ice boot and replacing blades with chassis is the way to go. So, anything to watch out or look for in doing that? I'm not a big guy (5'6", 150 lbs) so am not terribly worried about cracking the chassis, etc, but still. Any kind I shouldn't get? Also, for a CCM size 6.5 boot, what size chassis should I go with?

Thanks again,

Alex

... And a follow-up to that last question is:

Can I get any Tacks ice skates, blades and all, assuming the blades can be easily removed from the boot, or are there any caveats involved? (Like, the blade and the boot are somehow a 'one-piece' deal...)

Thanks!

Alex

To answer your first set of questions, at your size I wouldn't worry about cracking any chassis (I myself am about 5'10" 170). Of course any chassis could get a nasty dent on a hard slapshot in which case it isn't the end of the world. If it's affecting the wheel spin (chassis bent squeezing the wheel together) it can be bent back out. But again, it's not something you can worry about any more than breaking a stick.

To answer your second set of questions.... Pretty much any Tacks boot should be fine and basically the same process is done to remove the ice holder and re-rivet an inline chassis to it. My LHS guy said that it's a little more of a pain in the ass to attach a chassis to a carbon sole when he did my 1152s. He was concerned with my chassis slipping away from the sole. Perhaps other repair guys on here have other opinions when remounting. In my case with my 1152s, the mounting stayed fine but the sole did end up chipping away at the toe (from shots, stick whacks, etc....). I'd recommend an 852 or lower model.

All chassis size run different accoridng to brand but I can 99.9% guarantee you that you'll end up needing a small. Decent brands are any Redstar model (you can get E-frames under $50.00 on clearance on several websites), Tour Redlines (hard to find), Mission...etc... Really any chassis should be fine that's not made of plastic. :P

I skate on Redstar E-frames(got mine for $40) & I'm 5'9 205 & they are pretty durable...just make sure You get some thread lock at Your local hardware store b/c they are single axel...best of luck Bro

Hi,

I've a question about replacing my current CCM 755 Tacks roller skates. I've skated on about four different pairs of Tacks over the past 8-9 years. I've had a couple of pairs of lower end 455's and have skated on a pair of 755's the last 3 years or so. I've also been skating on a pair of ice 852's over the last 4 years or so. I wear shoe size 8-8.5 and have always been skating in size 6.5 Tacks. These have always fit me _amazingly_ well; I've never had to have a 'break-in' period although the skates fit me nice and snug.

But, all good things must come to an end, and my 755's are beginning to fall apart. Since CCM no longer makes roller Tacks, can anyone suggest skates with similar boot fit as the venerable Tacks? I tried the then new CCMs a few years ago (can't remember the line name; whatever that first 'roller-specific' line was). Demo'ed them in size 7 of one of the upper-end skates in the line and pretty much hated them: too narrow and stiff in the front. I've since heard that the PF line is much better.

So, again--can anyone suggest skates with similar boot fit as the original Tacks? Or am I stuck with the rigmarole of getting ice Tacks and mounting a roller chassis?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Hey I feel your plight. I used to skate on 755's and 752's as a kid.

Troll Ebay from time to time.

About 9 months ago, I found literally at least 6 pairs of dead stock 752's for sale. I picked up the two pairs that were my size for about 70 usd each.

It's amazing what people will pull out of their attics/stockrooms/closets and somtimes in great condition.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Does anyone know if the RedStar chassis a couple of guys recommended can be rockered? At least the front wheel? Or, if I wanted to achieve the same effect, I'd have to get a yet smaller wheel for the front? That seems like it'd be kind of a pain, since you'd then have 3 wheel sizes.

Thanks!

Alex