Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tri_19

Under your gear?

not married no, but have a gf, and she loves everything about hockey lol, a real keeper eh

Definately a keeper! Now if you could just train her to take your skates to the sharpener and to fill the beer cooler, .....I can hear the chapel bells ringing already. :P

Greg,

I received the PuckSkin today -- thank you very much! My initial impressions:

They run large, which I like. You had sent me an XL long-sleeve and a L t-shirt, which I was worried wouldn't fit. After trying on XL compression fit jerseys that looked like Mediums, I was surprised the L was maybe 5% too small. In fact, the shoulders fit perfectly, and if I learn the most important exercise of all -- the double-handed table press :lol: -- I'd say the stomach would fit as well.

I've been looking at wicking garments recently, since last month I roasted on a 99-degree day last month at Six Flags' Elitch Gardens. However, I saw a guy wearing UnderArmour that day and realized that was a great idea for a hot day; since we're going to Disneyland next week, I decided I'd buy some wicking jerseys. (I have only samples, not inventory of our apparel.)

The PuckSkin was softer than many that I tried on. Some of the other brands had an slightly sticky surface, almost as though the wicking was done chemically rather than through microfibers, but the PS had a near cotton feel.

I have a game Wednesday night, so I'll try the long-sleeve then; coming from cotton jerseys, I couldn't imagine not liking a wicking fabric. And I might even test your theory to wear the t-shirt in the sun, back I can't deny that old fears die hard -- black and 91 degrees don't sound compatible!

Once again, thanks.

Jason

Greg,

I received the PuckSkin today -- thank you very much! My initial impressions:

They run large, which I like. You had sent me an XL long-sleeve and a L t-shirt, which I was worried wouldn't fit. After trying on XL compression fit jerseys that looked like Mediums, I was surprised the L was maybe 5% too small. In fact, the shoulders fit perfectly, and if I learn the most important exercise of all -- the double-handed table press :lol: -- I'd say the stomach would fit as well.

I've been looking at wicking garments recently, since last month I roasted on a 99-degree day last month at Six Flags' Elitch Gardens. However, I saw a guy wearing UnderArmour that day and realized that was a great idea for a hot day; since we're going to Disneyland next week, I decided I'd buy some wicking jerseys. (I have only samples, not inventory of our apparel.)

The PuckSkin was softer than many that I tried on. Some of the other brands had an slightly sticky surface, almost as though the wicking was done chemically rather than through microfibers, but the PS had a near cotton feel.

I have a game Wednesday night, so I'll try the long-sleeve then; coming from cotton jerseys, I couldn't imagine not liking a wicking fabric. And I might even test your theory to wear the t-shirt in the sun, back I can't deny that old fears die hard -- black and 91 degrees don't sound compatible!

Once again, thanks.

Jason

I look forward to your post-game comments.

later

gb

Greg,

I received the PuckSkin today -- thank you very much!  My initial impressions:

They run large, which I like. You had sent me an XL long-sleeve and a L t-shirt, which I was worried wouldn't fit. After trying on XL compression fit jerseys that looked like Mediums, I was surprised the L was maybe 5% too small.  In fact, the shoulders fit perfectly, and if I learn the most important exercise of all -- the double-handed table press :lol:  -- I'd say the stomach would fit as well.

Once again, thanks.

Jason

I look forward to your post-game comments.

later

gb

I can vouch in for that. I played a summer league game last night.

Puckskin doesn't feel like your regular undergarment. The materials used for it are really soft and it feels like you're wearing nothing. The loose fit ensures that movement isn't restricted. Performance wise it kept me cool even though it was pretty warm inside the arena. I was sweating profusely, but i never felt like i was overheating. Compared to the underarmour which sort of chaffes your skin, i've never had problems with the puckskin. Wicking wise it does a very good job and I'm dry after the game. It also has antibacterial properties which are good for people with sensitive skin. When i used to wear regular t shirts under i would get rashes and even fungal infections. After using Puckskin my skin ailments gradually disappeared.

I also like to use Puckskin even when i'm off ice. Running, working out, it serves as a great base layer. Give it a shot, you guys won't be disappointed!

Gregg,

Where did you order the pucksin from? Also how big are u - height - weight - so i can get an idea of the proper size.

Also just looking at the sports exchange website - on them vaporzing - your equipment- anyplace in toronto do this ?

thanks shnuggs

Also how big are u - height - weight - so i can get an idea of the proper size.

I'm 5'7", 205 lbs, fairly muscular and with far more insulation around my tummy than I'd prefer! :lol:

Surprisingly, the Large t-shirt was just barely too small. If my stomach was smaller it would have been a perfect fit. Conversely, the XL long-sleeve was bigger than virtually any other XL clothing I have.

I never used to wear the pants due to restriction and it was uncomfortable. The puckskin is so thin and comfortable and it gets the job done. Now i wear the pants aswell. It's wonderful.

Later

Okay, here's my feedback after one day of using PuckSkin.

I worked out this morning and was sweating after my shower when I put the t-shirt on to test Greg's theory about not regretting wearing black in the sun. However, we had strange weather for Denver; it was cloudy and even muggy, which is a rarity for Denver. It seemed like the mugginess prevented the jersey from fully wicking away the moisture.

I say this because once it dryed up, the jersey just felt great. There is no other way to say this than the jersey feels light and soft -- almost like a cotton. But I don't feel a residue of sweat on my skin, as I often have before if I'm wearing a cotton shirt and had been sweating earlier.

Then I played a game tonight and wore the long-sleeve. I had never worn wicking fabric while playing before, and I think my expectations were unrealistic, because at the end of the game I was at first disappointed -- I was sweating! I thought you weren't supposed to sweat. Then I realized that wicking fabrics obviously don't stop perspiration, they just help to dissipate it. So I started to pay attention to my overall body heat and noticed I was much cooler than normal. Usually, I'm still pouring sweat after I take my shower, but tonight I just had a tiny bit of perspiration on my forehead. And usually I wear a tank top not a long-sleeve.

I have no other experience to compare the PuckSkin to. (Ironically, I've never worn any of our teamwear which is mostly dual-layer fabrics.) However, the looseness of the shirt really feels comfortable; I have this gut feeling that a compression shirt would feel hotter.

Time will tell if the silver yarns really do a better job of decreasing odor, but there is no doubt these jerseys are comfortable.

SalmingUSA, good review. Your also probably noticed that the shirt weighed a lot less than if you wore a cotton T. That's got to help, especially all the fuss now a days about a few grams on a pair of skates, etc.

Anyone know if the pant/shorts have velcro to hold up socks?

SalmingUSA, good review.  Your also probably noticed that the shirt weighed a lot less than if you wore a cotton T.  That's got to help, especially all the fuss now a days about a few grams on a pair of skates, etc.

Thanks, Jimmy.

No, the pants don't have Velcro. I spoke to Greg about this and he said the philosophy is to do what they do really well, rather than be all things for everyone.

However, I've grown to like the convenience of one piece of clothing for my cup and sox, versus wearing the pants, garter and athletic supporter/cup. I no longer even have an athletic supporter/cup, so I wasn't able to wear the pants.

PS Who's the goalie? That's a great picture.

SalmingUSA, good review.  Your also probably noticed that the shirt weighed a lot less than if you wore a cotton T.  That's got to help, especially all the fuss now a days about a few grams on a pair of skates, etc.

shameless plug for great hockey product that we don't profit from.

SockJawz + PuckSkin = garter + long pant combo

I started to test SockJawz, two season ago. They are brilliant(maybe there is a thread about them already, i will check now), anyways, having the velcro clasping go on the vertical vs on the horizontal is so simple yet SockJawz are the only garters to do this. They are also very light and durable, the easiest garter system on the market.

As far as cup goes, we recommend guys find their shorts+cup combo of choice and wear the PuckSkin long Pants above/on top. everyone has their own way of course, the key is to start wearing the PuckSkin full protection...Long Top/Long Pant, as shin pads are the nastiest bacteria filled item in your bag...so we want to put a barrier there.

gb

Thanks, Jimmy.

No, the pants don't have Velcro. I spoke to Greg about this and he said the philosophy is to do what they do really well, rather than be all things for everyone.

However, I've grown to like the convenience of one piece of clothing for my cup and sox, versus wearing the pants, garter and athletic supporter/cup. I no longer even have an athletic supporter/cup, so I wasn't able to wear the pants.

Hey Guys,

yes, we have always used the analogy of the all-in-one printer to compare our philosophy on building better hockey base layers to combo units that are popular today.

Some brands have the all-in-one concept which becomes a product of convenience rather than a product of quality. If I buy an all-in-one printer, i understand that I sacrifice on quality in the components and quality of each individual function.

there are great standalone components that compliment PuckSkin, so we recommend that you get the best garter you can, and also get the best cup protection you can too. wear them in conjunction with PuckSkin to have the best of all worlds.

also, we live in The "moist" Pacific NorthWest. It's very outdoorsy environment here. PuckSkin doubles as a great layer for skiing, boarding, mtn. biking, hiking, tennis, golf etc. the all-in-one hockey specific combo units are less versatile in our opinion and has better crossover appeal at the retail level.

I hope this makes sense, your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks, Jimmy.

Too bad. We don't sell many under gear that doesn't have velcro. It sits on the shelf. Customers want a one piece!

Puckskin, I know you want to do one thing well, but.....you got to develop an all in one bottom. I sell the long Trifilar, and it has velcro and sells very well. I'm sure it is thicker than puckskin, but customers who want long undergear, want velcro. NO ONE wants to use cups or garters anymore. Jockshorts like Shock Dr are in big time.

Salming USA, Think goal mask with stitch marks. Now think of before he wore a mask. Only the best money goalie ever. If you can't figure it out, look at my signature. :P

will take your comments into consideration Jimmy. I agree about the JockShorts in a nice light-weight, but i would like to see them remove the velcro tabs(redundant) and use a sockjawz garter.

maybe we(Mods) can brainstorm a better system altogether...PuckSkin fabric, garter & cup that is component based, modular and versatile? A bundle of quality no less...

cheers,

gb

I read an article not to long ago about performance garmets that have silver in the material and how it affects the skin. I will try and locate it and post it for everyones reference.

will take your comments into consideration Jimmy. I agree about the JockShorts in a nice light-weight, but i would like to see them remove the velcro tabs(redundant) and use a sockjawz garter.

maybe we(Mods) can brainstorm a better system altogether...PuckSkin fabric, garter & cup that is component based, modular and versatile? A bundle of quality no less...

cheers,

gb

My customers are much the same as Jimmys. They want it all in one or they don't want it. 99% don't want to deal with a garter and jock. The ones that do are looking to save 4 or 5 bucks and could care less about performance.

will take your comments into consideration Jimmy.  I agree about the JockShorts in a nice light-weight, but i would like to see them remove the velcro tabs(redundant) and use a sockjawz garter.

maybe we(Mods) can brainstorm a better system altogether...PuckSkin fabric, garter & cup that is component based, modular and versatile?  A bundle of quality no less...

cheers,

gb

My customers are much the same as Jimmys. They want it all in one or they don't want it. 99% don't want to deal with a garter and jock. The ones that do are looking to save 4 or 5 bucks and could care less about performance.

so the theory that the kids want what the pros wear is out the window i guess?

I have yet to hear a Pro guy wearing an all-in-one but i could be wrong.

a regional poll might put the demand quotient into perspective, I know here(BC) that all-in-ones are getting popular with the kids. Yet UA and Nike don't produce one do they?

also, are adults buying all-in-ones?

cheers

gb

will take your comments into consideration Jimmy.  I agree about the JockShorts in a nice light-weight, but i would like to see them remove the velcro tabs(redundant) and use a sockjawz garter.

maybe we(Mods) can brainstorm a better system altogether...PuckSkin fabric, garter & cup that is component based, modular and versatile?  A bundle of quality no less...

cheers,

gb

a regional poll might put the demand quotient into perspective, I know here(BC) that all-in-ones are getting popular with the kids. Yet UA and Nike don't produce one do they?

cheers

gb

Kids have no idea what udergear the pros are using. They all have UA shirts around here but the vast majority are using all in one compression or loose fit combos. I still have a few old school customers but the vast majority are going to combos because of the convenience. They don't have to worry about packing 2 or 3 small pieces, just the one big piece.

cheers,

gb

cheers

gb

Kids have no idea what udergear the pros are using. They all have UA shirts around here but the vast majority are using all in one compression or loose fit combos. I still have a few old school customers but the vast majority are going to combos because of the convenience. They don't have to worry about packing 2 or 3 small pieces, just the one big piece.

Yuk! sounds bizarre to me, we will keep investigating the best route for PuckSkin...

Our recent Junior A team purchases from the OHL and the SJHL and our Pro guys told us to stay away from the one-piece model, but I understand that different regions have different wants.

will keep investigating, thanks for your feedback!

gb

I use Easton synergy skate socks for socks

Just regular light boxer shorts under my jock

UA loosegear longsleeve or Easton BioDri long sleeve(cant tell the difference)

I've never used Puckskin before though. All the undergear i've used(UA, Easton, Nike drifit, t3k, etc.) worked the same. Some are just more comfortable than others.