Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AtlantaThrashers01

Gaining Weight

You are only 17. 20 pounds in 25 days isn't happening. Your metabolism is probably high as hell and you sound pretty active. Do you want this weight for the upcoming hockey/sports season? If so I can tell you right now that the 20 pounds that you want in a month will probably slow your ass down a good deal. It's not going to be lean mass and you will be surprised at how much this will effect you. If it's not for sports that's a different story. Good luck either way you have 23 days left.

Yeah, He might just wanna train for strength assuming its for hockey.

20 pounds in less than a month seems quite hard if not impossible. Unless you want fat too i doubt it would be all muscle.

How long have you been lifting wieghts or working out?

i work out everyday for like 3 hours atleast, for the past 3 months.

i work out everyday for like 3 hours atleast, for the past 3 months.

You're working out too much. You don't gain muscle while working out, you gain muscle while you rest. Working out stimulates the gains, but your muscles never get a chance to heal & grow if you're over training. 2-3 hours of weight training per day for 7 days a week is DEFINITELY over-training. Keep that up, and you'll actually end up losing muscle..

Each muscle group needs time to recover before you train it again. In other words, don't do a heavy leg workout on Monday, and then do legs again on Tuesday. Two days is an absolute minimum, but 4 is more reasonable - especailly if you're training hard (which you should be)..

A productive workout with weights should take no more than 45 minutes to an hour. Anything more than that, and you're either wasting time talking too much or you're doing bodybuilding movements which have limited value to hockey players.

With that said - Your first step should be to set realistic goals. You aren't going to gain 20 pounds in 30 days. Sorry, it just can't be done unless you grow another leg or something.

If a coach is pushing you to do that, then he's a bad coach. Train hard & play hard, but if he threatens to cut you for something like this, you don't want to play for him anyway.

the running is killing you. Right after you lift, eat your entire fridge, do not go burn calories. Trying to cut and bulk at the same time is like running in place. You will not go ANYWHERE.

I have an easy solution for you...come over to my house and I will carve you off a few pounds off my chunky butt!!! lol I want to loose about 100 lbs before next summer and you are trying to gain 20... I wish i had that problem. <_<

the running is killing you. Right after you lift, eat your entire fridge, do not go burn calories. Trying to cut and bulk at the same time is like running in place. You will not go ANYWHERE.

Well with him training he's really walking backwards instead of running in place.

no ones pressuring me its just that 140lbs isnt that much comparing to other 17 yr olds ill get tossed around, but yea ill try that alternating with doing legs on day and then arms,ect.

Alternating days isn't enough rest. If you're training hard, you need closer to 2-3 days rest for each muscle group before it has time to recover.. If that means spending 3 days a week training instead of 7, then so be it..

Some things you can do to help your muscles recover quicker..

Eat a high carb, high protein snack within 15 minutes of completing your workout. Studies show that your muscles will soak up nutrients very quickly within that time. After that window closes, nutrients are absorbed much slower.

Do a light exersize of the muscle group the next day.. For example, if you do a heavy leg workout on Monday, go for a 15 minute moderate bike ride early Tuesday. You'll want it to be brisk enough to feel a little bit of a burn in your legs, but not so much that you're completely wiped out afterwards..

Again - set reasonable goals. If you work hard, you might be able to gain a few pounds in a month, but not 20. If you're small, adjust your game to compensate and do the best you can in spite of it.

I have an easy solution for you...come over to my house and I will carve you off a few pounds off my chunky butt!!! lol I want to loose about 100 lbs before next summer and you are trying to gain 20... I wish i had that problem. <_<

LOL 100lbs thats like half a person

I'd say slow down the training