Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Norm

The NHL Cubs

How could anyone like Domi? Easy, he's entertaining. It's not always about being the best player. Sometimes it's about personality. Domi's got that in spades.

Add in Nolans contract at 5.6 million and your at 37. His contract is in dispute and if the Leafs lose they keep his salary so I counted that in. As for Boyes he averaged a point a game in the AHL last year which aint bad. Im just saying the Leafs should stop trying to win this year and get big names and instead save their prospects. And Im pretty sure they had Steen, Wellwood and Stajan from drafts but I might be wrong and so its not like they got them in trades they could have had them along with other prospects that were traded. In the end Im just saying that the Leafs need to stop signing guys like Lindros and Domi and start fresh and be good in 5 years. Id rather the Leafs not make the playoffs for 5 years and then win the Cup then consistently being knocked out in the 2nd round. And as for Domi he may be a leader although Ive never been in the room to confirm this and Im sure guys like Roberts and Niewendyk would be better leaders, heck if I were a young Leaf Id look up to them better but I do know from my uncle who once talked to Wendel Clark and Wendel even didnt have the biggest respect for Domi. And as for the entertainment value I would personally prefer a downtown party when the Leafs hoist the cup then watch Domi and Brashear square off at centre. Good pints were made about prospects at Centre and you said they replaced everyone from Leetch from last years playoff run but what playoff run. They lost in the second round to a Flyers team who only got stronger and not to mention the Devils who beat them. The Leafs will never be able to win the East let alone the cup with all these aging players.

Nolans contract will not count against the cap, that has been assured by the NHL. If Toronto wins the dispute, they pay nothing, and Nolans a UFA. If Nolan wins, he is bought at at his full contract, doesn't count against the cap, but its around $12 mill.

I also want a youth movement, but hate them being in the middle. Unfortunately the team isn't doing that. Considering the cap space they have, and the fact they want to compete now, I like their moves.

The Flyers are weaker IMO, everyone in the East is weaker. Foppa, Carter and Richards do not offset Roenick, Leclair, Amonte and Recchi. I think their D signings were poor. Jersey may be in alot of trouble with Gomez currently injured (but close to coming back) and Elias with Hep A. Throw in the crackdown.

It's just too tough to tell right now how everything will play out.

Sorry i didnt know too much about Nolan, I just saw the Leafs payroll on TSN and it was listed at 37 with Nolan, my mistake. I think the Flyers however will be better and right now they are my favorite in the East but I also think that the West will win the cup this year, I don't know why but I just see some stronger teams out there. Hopefully the Leafs can pull it off but I highly doubt it and I think this will be the year where a midmarket team like Calgary or Edmonton wins it.

Theo,

The Leafs fans sound like Rangers fans!! Team too old, too many washed up old-stars, never play the kids, etc. I am talking about the NYR before Sather chopped the whole team up before the lock-out. This year for NYR- who knows? The only team younger is the Midget AAA 18 at the Ice House in Hackensack!

As for Leafs- Don't expect too much from Big E 88. His tank is close to empty. I never thought it would run dry so fast but the hits took it out of him. Its up JFJ to figure out the brave new world NHL. Once training camps open, everyone will quickly know whether they have prospects or suspects.

I didn't watch many Rangers games, but was Lindros their #1 center? I know they had Holik and Messier, but who got the most ice time? In Toronto, Lindros will be the #3 center, maybe #2 if he is lucky. There won't be much of a demand from him, and maybe thats exactly what he needs, low expectations.

The Rangers didn't have a #1 center. First, Coach Trottier(remember him) couldn't figure out how to match lines so that didn't work. Then replacement Coach Sather kept looking for #99 on the bench but couldn't find him. So, instead he saw # 11 and kept sending him out every other shift. This cut down on ice time for any Rangers prospects at center. Then Coach Renney just threw the sticks out at center ice and nobody could find their stick. I'm pretty sure that's how the Rangers did it.

If 88 is third line for TML,that will be fine. But won't the fans expect first line numbers when they see him on the ice?

Most guys are pretty good in Toronto. You get a few boneheads who speak out of their ass and people take that as all Leaf beliefs. Personally, I want him on the wing with Sundin, just got his shot and quickness (for a big guy, he can move). Others expect him to produce alright, but chip in whenever he can. Not hurt us, and be good on the PP. He should do well on our powerplay with his boomer and the Umbrella PP Quinn loves. I'd say 80% of Leaf fans believe he won't make it out of the pre-season anyways. Quinn stated the other day all 3 guys, Allison, E and Sundin, will be centers to start the year. It'll be a wild ride at the ACC this year :)

I was thinking about this earlier today, and if I had to related teams to baseball

I'd say The Red Wings are the Yankees, Leafs are the Sox and the Cubs are Chicago, but thats just me.

So does that mean that the Leafs and Red Wings will meet for the cup, and Wings go up 3-0, Toronto comes back, ties the series, and blows them away in game7? I wish.

Baseball the rangers are definitely the yankees without the winning, the redsox i see more being the flames then the leafs because the sox are a team who play with heart and they arent a lot of big name guys just guys who give it all everyday and it won it for them like it almost did for the similar type guys in calgary, the leafs are more of a cubs team becuase the cubs tend to be a little older and havent won in forever with a huge fan base and the lightning are like the florida marlins 2 years ago when they won it with a lot of young guys like juan stpierre and martin stluois, two smaller name guys who put up big numbers and are now much more popular names in their respective sports.

because the sox are a team who play with heart and they arent a lot of big name guys just guys who give it all everyday

Manny, Ortiz, Damon, Wells, Schilling, Varitek, ect.

And besides, when was the last time Manny gave it his all?

because the sox are a team who play with heart and they arent a lot of big name guys just guys who give it all everyday

Manny, Ortiz, Damon, Wells, Schilling, Varitek, ect.

And besides, when was the last time Manny gave it his all?

i was talking more along the lines of millar, mueller, damon, bellhorn and those type of guys who didnt get the press coverage but they were a huge part of that teams success. those are the type of guys the flames have because to be honest i didnt know most of the flames players until they made they run.