Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NI44

hockey camps

hey im from ireland and we dont realy get alot of camps over here, we would have to go to england or scotlandmy friend has recently been to a camp in toronto and it sounds great but i was wondering what sort of activities you do in these camps he was abit vague to me

cheers, chris

Well there are different camps for different things were i live theres like powerskateing camps shooting camps checking camps and ect......... and thers also just camps that cover everying form drills that range from everything but i reli dont know what some of the drills are called but we do like shooting, passing,skateing activitys and suicide skating drills

I grew up going to UND Hockey schools in Grand Forks. For a large part of the week, we roamed the campus, playing vids and getting into trouble.

The hockey instruction, evaluation and dryland stuff was pretty advanced for the 80's

Nowadays, things are a little tighter...

I just recently attended PrepCamp.com on Vancouver Island, as a supplier, here is what i noticed:

What I saw was first rate. Mostly AAA players.(could be invitation only tho') Barry Smith, Mike Johnston, Bryan Trottier, Dave Smith were amongst the intsructors. A Labyrinth of bunks and rooms were set up in the curling rink. Standard mess hall...Outstanding Off-Ice training situation, led by Ryan and Shea Esselmont.

Prep Camp Location is prime, Golf, Ocean, Mtns. Island pace etc...

Another good camp is Dave Roy's Edge of Excellence, in Kelowna, BC.(another prime spot) His focus is Skating and I think he used to be the Flyers Skate coach.

Peter Twist has an elite camp that runs all summer long.

The Camps mentioned above have a comprehensive daily routine. Lots of education, and lost of activities to keep you busy

hope this helps...I have some others that I know of in Toronto region...that have great rep.

cheers,

gb

I just got back from Okaogan Hockey School. It was good but I'm sure its all that its cracked up to be.

Okanagan Hockey School in Penticton, BC? And yes, it's very good.

Ya. I was a little dissapointed by the instruction quality as most of the instructors where Jr.A players and not nessacarily the best coaches to have.

My wife and I have attended the International Hockey School camp in Detroit Lakes MN for the last 2 years. It's great for beginners or those who have never played organized (with actual coaches and practices) hockey before and helps you to understand positioning and the overall impact of a certain position in relation to the game. Plus, it's great because it gives the parents of their kids who are attending the childrens camp, something to do. Almost 3/4 of the adults at the camp this year also had their children attending.

My friend and i went to Saint Marys Hockey camp in minnisota...it is a fairly big camp....It is the most fun i have ever had ( and its not the kinda camp where you do swimming and stuff) its fun because hockey is what i like to do and you do alot of it there...so i had alot of fun...on the ice like five hours a day....your on a team and you have a tourny the whole time...your in there for a week long...sharing a room with someone....better if its with a friend....I def. suggest this camp!

Ya. I was a little dissapointed by the instruction quality as most of the instructors where Jr.A players and not nessacarily the best coaches to have.

Really?When I went the instructors were awesome, the only 16 year old kids we had were at the Gatorade skills centre. I thought the instuctors were the best part of the camp. I wasn't impressed with the overall skill level at the camp although there were 2 draft picks, and a Jr. B player from the states, but then there were about 25 kids that were house level.

I also just got back from Okanagan (well not just, but a few weeks ago). IDT tourney, but it was terrible hockey. I'm not an overly cocky person, but the players there were weak, and I was 2-5 years younger than all the guys I was playing against. But when I went in the supercamp it was fun.

Really?When I went the instructors were awesome, the only 16 year old kids we had were at the Gatorade skills centre. I thought the instuctors were the best part of the camp. I wasn't impressed with the overall skill level at the camp although there were 2 draft picks, and a Jr. B player from the states, but then there were about 25 kids that were house level.

What level where your instructors?

Alan Kurr was one of the instuctors. I thought that woman that taught power skating was a good instructor. But yea I realise what you mean alot of them were junior A, but they weren't running the camp, and mostly just commented on when you did something good.

I don't think Alan Kerr is a great instructor just because you play in the NHL doesn't nessacarily mean you know how teach the game. Are powerskating instructors were good but for the skill session the head instructor just played Jr.A

When I wnt to OHS a couple years back the head instructor was the head coach of the salmon Arm silver backs or the BCHL and seemed to know what he was talking about some of the other instructors dident seem to know how to coach hockey very well

I live in the Okanagan and I know many people who have attended the Okanagan Hockey school. There is only 1 person that I remeber who liked it and he only liked it because he could deke out any of the other players there. I have heard that the level of play is low and that many of the players attending play AAA but they are from hockey hotbeds like Iowa or Arizona. I would not go there because I hear lots of negative comments about the school. Alan Kerr the guy who runs this school is not well liked by many hockey players in the Okanagan he coaches a team from Penticton and this team always gets their @$$ kicked I think they only won 1or 2 games last season against some really weak teams this guy cant coach worth sh!t.

I like Planet Hockey Skills Camps. I learned about them after I had bought and watched over and over the hockey training videos they put out. I've gone twice and my daughters have gone once.

I've become friends with Shawn Killian, who founded the school about fifteen years ago. Because of personal circumstances -- becoming married and having a child -- he's actually cut back on the number of camps they hold. He wanted to keep it so either he or his partner, Steve Strunk, would be in charge at all of the camps. They now go on the road six months a year and then hold clinics throughout Denver for the remaining six.

What I really like about them is they both have great personalities and teaching demeanors, and they do a great job of making sure their staff have similar demeanors.

You can see their upcoming schedule at their website, Planet Hockey, as well as information about their videos, which I highly recommend.