Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarlp

New Skates... need opinions

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions. I'm an ice player and I used to play back when I was a kid. I started playing ice again about 6 months ago and about 2 months ago I got into roller hockey as well. I didn't want to use my old 10 year old CCM roller skates so I went out and bought a pair of Mission HE750's. After skating on them for a while now I don't like them at all. Yea, they're light... but they don't offer any support. That's probably because I'm used to my ice skates which are now the Bauer XXX's which are very stiff.

Anyways, I thought about getting the Bauer Mega 30-90's instead but I've read a lot of bad reviews on those skates saying they were never able to get broken in and also the two piece OneUp Chassis was a bad design.

Then I thought about getting CCM PF8's but I've never been a fan of CCM skates (I don't like how they fit). I can't try any on because neither Hockey Giant or Hockey Monkey in my area carry those skates in the size I need (size 8).

Anyways... I've read a lot of the reviews on here and I'm starting to lean towards the Tour skates. Either the Tour Blue Max or the Tour Beemer's. From what I've read, the Tour Blue Max are pretty much the same as the beemer's, just a little stiffer and the wheels aren't as good. Since I prefer a stiffer boot I thought this may be the best way to go. Also, they're pretty cheap now and I can get them at Hockey Giant with a free set of Swiss Bearings to replace the stock Abec-7's with. What do you guys think? Would the Tour Blue Max skates be a good choice? Is there something else I should take a look at? I don't want to spend any more then $300... maybe $330. The Blue Max go for $230 which is nice.

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

I would go for the blue max. I love mine. I would say that the greatest benefit to the skates are the hummer chassis. IMO i would say that the hummer gives you a lot more grip than a hi-lo. As long as it fits your foot right, go for it. The only downside to the skates is that i think there a bit heavy if you planning on playing for a couple hours straight.

I would go for the blue max. I love mine. I would say that the greatest benefit to the skates are the hummer chassis. IMO i would say that the hummer gives you a lot more grip than a hi-lo. As long as it fits your foot right, go for it. The only downside to the skates is that i think there a bit heavy if you planning on playing for a couple hours straight.

Thanks for the input. weight is of little importance to me... I'd rather have a heavy boot that's built nicely with a nice chassis rather then a light skate with poorer built components.

May I ask... what made you choose the blue max over the beemer's? Why do you like the tours over other skates besides the Hummer chassis like you mentioned?

The tours are a very low-cut boot that might not offer the upper ankle support you want. You would definately want to try them on before buying (as you should in all skate purchases). They are very solid skates, but I didn't like how low the boot was cut. It works for a lot of people though, so give 'em a try in the store.

you may want to look at something such as the Pro-Rt that HG sells..

I have the 3090..didn't have the break in problems.haven't even baked this pair..did Vapor bake my 2090's for them to get dialed in last year...

i'm not a small guy..haven't had any trouble with the OneUp..kept the 78mm in the back and had no issues..

I have the 3090..didn't have the break in problems.haven't even baked this pair..did Vapor bake my 2090's for them to get dialed in last year...

i'm not a small guy..haven't had any trouble with the OneUp..kept the 78mm in the back and had no issues..

Can you point me to the Pro-RT... I've never heard of it and can't seem to find it online.

I think it may be a Hockey Giant SMU (Special Make-up)

There site is the only place I've seen them, try checking there

hockeygiant.com

I think maybe you meant the Pro-R's by Bauer?

What made you choose the 30-90's over all the other skates out there?

Actually from what I have been told the Beemer is stiffer then the blue Max. I have had a pair of Beemer’s and they are a very well built skate. A few of my teammates also have the blue max and they like them they are both great skates and the Hummer is a great frame. Also you might want to wait a little as I know tour is come out with there new skates. From what I know there the Code series and the top line skate the code one is a awesome skate after seeing it at a tournament and picking it up it is super light to the MAX. I know they have came out and been shipped to cretin stores already but will be full out soon. I view as Tour skates being the best built roller hockey skates that are made.

Actually from what I have been told the Beemer is stiffer then the blue Max. I have had a pair of Beemer’s and they are a very well built skate. A few of my teammates also have the blue max and they like them they are both great skates and the Hummer is a great frame. Also you might want to wait a little as I know tour is come out with there new skates. From what I know there the Code series and the top line skate the code one is a awesome skate after seeing it at a tournament and picking it up it is super light to the MAX. I know they have came out and been shipped to cretin stores already but will be full out soon. I view as Tour skates being the best built roller hockey skates that are made.

Every post on here says the blue max is the stiffer then the beemer though. And others have said the blue max is actually more expensive to make then the beemer. The problem is, that could just be 1 person giving out bad information here and everyone else following along and spreading that information.

The Code 1's look like some killer skates... but the question arrises, when will them come out. And more importantly... what will they cost? I'm guessing they will run about $399 or so when they first come out. Which, by the way, weren't they already supposed to be out by now in August. In July people said they were already supplied in limited quantities to limited stores... and that by Mid August they should be out at all the stores. But I have yet to hear of a store carrying these skates.

Problem is... I hate my Missions, and I want to sell them ASAP and step into something else. If I can get the blue max's for $230 with an upgrade to Swiss Bearings for free but the Core 1's won't be available for another couple of weeks and will have a price tag of $400 or more, I'd rather just get the Blue Max's.

sorry about the typo..I meant Pro R's....I went with the 2090 and 3090's because of the overall volume of the boot, fits me quite well..and its a little more aggressive than the Supreme's I normally skate on ice..which is what I was looking for along with some movement than the Quest's I had been on...

Blue Max are a bit stiffer than the Beemer...Code 1's will be $399 or up....Code 2 will be sort of the Blue Max version..

they were out in certain stores in July..and yes most who booked and wanted an 8/15-9/1 delivery should get them soon..although most dealers probably booked a 10/15 window on them for the holidays..

I don't think you would make a bad choice by buying the Blue Max skate from HG and getting the free Swiss Bearings. I was about to do the same, but my LHS gave me a good deal on a pair of Beemers, even though I ended up switching the bearings for some of the Swiss stuff since the Bevo's froze up after a couple of uses. Also, with the money you save you might want to go ahead and buy some Rink Rats, and you should have a killer skate on your hands. The skates are AWESOME. I had been skating on the Rocker chassis for about 4 years, and the grip the Hummer has feels like it is 5 times more than what I was getting with the rockers. Save yourself some money and get the BlueMax skate. I am dying to get some of the Code 1's, but its $400 which I would rather not spend on skates.