Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aussie Joe

Tinea in shin pads!

I have recently developed Tinea (Or some sort of fungus) in my shin guards, every time I use them my shins are itchy as a MOTHER afterwards. The chick at the chemist (Or drug store) reckons I should buy new guards. But won't the fungus just spread to my new pair?

Is there a way of cleaning the pads that will kill all the fungus? I have tried a anti-fungal spray on the pads and my shins but its not working.

new pads, make sure you dry your pads out every game and if you can take the liner out and wash them, thats ideal. BTW, thats pretty gross.

Bleach should kill it. Just let them soak in bleach & water in the washing machine.

Sounds weird, though. Isn't tinea the same as jock itch/athletes foot? Normally contact with a source infected with this fungus won't cause the reaction you describe. These sort of fungi thrive in dark, damp environments. The front of your leg doesn't generally become infected. Brief contact with tinea shouldn't cause itching unless you have become a full-blown host of the fungi, in which case you'd have visible evidence of the fungal infection. My guess is that you're having some sort of dermatological reaction to your pads - perhaps even an allergic reaction. Do you spray them with something like Lysol or Febreze after wearing them?

I don't spray anything on my pads and I bought them in 1997 I think so they are a few years old. Is it the age more than anything that is wrong with them? Maybe I should see a doctor about this and get some testing done.

I air them out after every session and have done so since I bought them, they have also not been washed EVER (ashamedly).

A few years old? Try 7 years old. LOL. I would deff. buy new ones and see a doctor. Maybe it's shin crabs. LOL. Good Luck.