Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sonsplayhockey

Playing center, Defensive responsibilities

I"m playing center this sunday. I"ve been playing Right wing for the past year. Can someone outline my defensive responsibilities?

Last summer I recall our captain telling the wingers to do the forechecking and the Center was to cover center ice. Beyond that and the Center being "the third D" thats all I remember.

Can someone outline my defensive responsibilities?

Also, when you are in a faceoff in your zone, do you always try to draw to your D man in the corner? Last game, our goalie was insistant in putting both D in front of her and no one in the corner.

Depends on how your team works the D. I've been taught that the Center helps with the D in the corners, D ties the man up Center takes the puck. Some teams don't want the two on one in the corners so they want the Center to cover a guy in front of the net or slot. I have also heard teams that drop the wingers down and have the center roam and cover the point men. This doesn't work real well if the team you're playing uses their point men. The center is also important to the breakout so make sure once your team gets the puck that you make sure you're getting to where you need to be. We have the D pass off to the forwards on the half boards and they in turn hit the center going up the middle with some speed, some teams do it differently, but the center is key regardless.

Faceoffs- I'd do what you're goalie says :D

I always tried to have a set play when I took draws. A lot of the time my LW would shoot through as soon as the ref dropped the puck and I would tap it forward for him, I'm RH and it was on my forehand. Having a plan in case you win or lose the faceoff can be worth a goal a game. If you lose the faceoff in your end, stay with your man. Always talk to the defense and see what they want you to do, communication is the key.

As a centreman, unfortunatley, it's not as easy as saying do X, Y and Z and you'll be fine. It's all situational -- that's why it's a really tough position to play as there are always options and choices to make.

An easy way to sum it up is the centre goes where he/she is needed the most. If there is lots of pressure deep in your end, the centre is very much the third D. This way if a defenceman goes into a corner, the centre takes his/her spot in front of the net.

If the play is entering your defensive zone, the centre ensures there isn't an open trailer coming down the slot.

On offence, the centre is often the third point of the triangle. It's up to you if the scenario says it's better for you to be the high or low point of the triangle.

You also have to read and react to determine if you should go to offence or defence. If it's likely your team will get possession of the puck, you should think 'O'. If the opposite, you should think 'D'.

A good centre will rarely stop skating. If you're just standing there watching the play, you're likely doing something wrong. In fact, centres skate the most of any position. Keep moving and make lots of tight circles to keep your speed up because you're required to be everywhere at once!

During a high calibre game (i.e. NHL) just watch the centre for one shift and you'll be amazed at the range they cover.

Finally, on the face-off, that too has no single answer. I'm more successful at drawing the puck back so I usually do that. If it's in my zone, it put it to the corner furthest from our net. In the offensive zone I pull it back toward the middle. Based on where the face off is and they way my hands are, my teammates know where I'm trying to go with it.

I love the challenge of playing centre. It forces me to be one of the fittest guys on my team and I love the challenge and strategy involved.

Good luck!

JJ

Defense, on the surface, is pretty simple. You want to make it very easy for the goalie. A guy taking a shot should have a bad angle or be rushed. If they goalie is playing one or two guys in one direction, you had better make sure some other shooter does not pop up behind him where he can not see or get to him in time. You want to make sure the goalie can see the shooter--clear out the net and make the player pay a price. You want to protect the front of the net, so if one or two Dmen are going behind the goal line to work someone over, you have to fill the gap and stand tall with the goalie. And, the best Defense is a good offense, so really work at getting that breakout pass--either make it yourself or make sure you are free for a Dman to hand it off to you.