Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkStar50

What goes around comes around

What goes around comes around: There is an old saying in hockey that hasn't been used since the late 80s. This saying was probably first used in the 50s during the Habs 5 year Cup run. The Canadiens were also known as the Flying Frenchmen, then. The saying wasn't heard too often in the 60s, until the Habs again won the Cup two years in a row. During the 70s the Flyers beat everybody up until the Habs won the Cup 4 years in a row. The Flying Frenchmen of LaFleur, Mondou, Tremblay, and others were back. The 80s was prime time for this old saying. The NHL thrived on skating then. The Oilers had the fastest ice in the league and the team to use it. Paul Coffey was coast-to-coast every night. The other Western Conference teams were also using their skating skills to optimum performance levels. By the end of the 80s the holding, hooking, and interference had set in to the NHL. Skating was not a primary weapon in the famous as Mario put it "garage league NHL." Finally, this season with the rule changes, this old saying has returned and it is a very simple one at that: Speed Kills.

The teams on top possess outstanding skating speed while the teams in the middle are still trying to find their legs. The teams at the bottom have so many other problems that their lack of team speed only adds to their mess. The NHL has not seen "petal to the metal" team speed since the 80s. It is a great pleasure to watch again as players go full throttle up ice. Remember: Speed Kills.

Peter, that's funny you created this thread, because those are the exact words I told my wife this morning. "Speed kills....especially in the new NHL."

Without the red line and two-line passes, it seems that the teams with speed are creating a lot of odd man rushes, particularly if the goalie can pass the puck well. I saw DePietro pass up the right side last night to Blake (I think) at the blue line and suddenly it was a 2-on-1.

The B's are getting killed this year on odd man rushes, and I think it's because they don't have a lot of speed.

The B's are getting killed this year on odd man rushes, and I think it's because they don't have a lot of speed.

Jason i would like to correct you on that one. The B's are getting killed PERIOD. As much of a Bruins Fanatic i am i have to say they are BRUTAL.

Jason i would like to correct you on that one. The B's are getting killed PERIOD. As much of a Bruins Fanatic i am i have to say they are BRUTAL.

Considering their talent level there is no reason for them to be getting beaten as badly as they are. I know they have a few injuries but that doesn't justify their performance.

Considering their talent level there is no reason for them to be getting beaten as badly as they are. I know they have a few injuries but that doesn't justify their performance.

Really though, They get the lead then blow it. Vs. Philly the other night they were leading, then Philly scored 2 goals near the end then win in OT. There talent level is unbelievable, they just need to step it up.

Peter, that's funny you created this thread, because those are the exact words I told my wife this morning. "Speed kills....especially in the new NHL."

Without the red line and two-line passes, it seems that the teams with speed are creating a lot of odd man rushes, particularly if the goalie can pass the puck well. I saw DePietro pass up the right side last night to Blake (I think) at the blue line and suddenly it was a 2-on-1.

Jason,

Thanks for pointing out the odd man rushes. Those plays highlight the speed through center ice and attacking the blueline. One D man gets pinched and its off to the races. I have never seen so many 2 on 1's in 30+ years of watching hockey. I do not consider this to be sloppy hockey. I think it is a result of the new rules and have no problem with it. It is still up to the players on ice to adjust. The teams that do will rise from where they stand now. The ones that don't will sink further. And the speed teams will just get better and faster as they continue to parlay this advantage into goals and wins.

So now, who is the fastest team? Lets hear for some from the East and some from the West.

I'm just tired of people saying this new league and the rules suck. I think the new rules and the new league is great. It opens the game up for the smart, quick people. It leaves the slow, dumb people in the dust. This is a good thing. This a fast game, perhaps the fastest, and if you can't skate, and play smart, you don't belong there.

People complain that it's like taking second base out of baseball just to speed it up. Well in baseball, nobody is hooking you, grabbing you, tripping you, or jumping on you as you try to round second base and get to third. Taking this "oafish" element out of the game, I feel, opens it up for the better skilled players.

I have come to the conclusion that most of people who hate the new rules are the same that think Derian Hatcher grabbing Ilya Kolachuk's arms, pulling his stick, in order to stop him from getting to the net is "Smart hockey". BS. Those same people also think the Trap was good "smart hockey". BS again. Disciplined hockey, sure, but smart? Any idiot can play a trap, and clutch and grab. That's why all the crap teams played it. They also feel the game is getting weak because the hitting is taken out. What game are they watching? I'm pretty sure I still see people getting hit pretty hard. What the new rules do is ensure people WITH THE PUCK get hit, not those people away from the puck...late hits...trapping attempts...interference runs. This is a good thing.

I know we've discussed the new rules and stuff already, but I saw this thread and it spurred me on. I was in the gym yesterday and some guy asked another guy who plays hockey if he liked the new rules. The guy responded, "F- No!". Then he said, what team do you like? Response: "Devils".

Figures.

Poor Devils look clueless without being allowed to trap or clutch and grab. Too bad. Learn how to skate.

Ottawa's the fastest team in the East, but Montreal uses their speed the best. At least 6-7 times a period they just fire it cross ice to 3 forwards breaking out of the zone.

I generally only watch the Bruins' games, so I can only go on those games.

1) The Bruins are NOT fast! :lol:

2) I haven't seen the Ottawa games, but they apparently overran the B's.

3) Montreal has been fast, but I was really impressed by Blake and Bates on the Islanders. That pair is so much faster than the opposing defensemen that it was apparent the team strategy was just to chip the puck into the neutral zone, where one of the two would pick it up in a race with the D to the net.