Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

finkster

Municipal Ice Rink

I would like to have my city build a municipal ice rink. Can anyone here put me touch with someone who was successful in having their local government build one? I am familiar with the process (in the states) of getting something on the agenda.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I only know of one rink in this area built with municipal funding in recent years and it has been a nightmare. The city had to take over because the management organization was not able to make the bond payments.

Not to mention muni's around here tend to be run on a shoestring budget in a lot of cases. In any case you will have to do some market research to determine if there is a need in the market and if there is enough business to sustain the rink, let alone make it profitable. Without that information, nobody is going to take you seriously.

I don't know anyone personally involved, so I can't refer you to an individual, but we've had four to five open in the past 2-6 years in Denver. Perhaps you can call the rinks and work your way up.

North Jeffco Rec District: Opened the Apex rec center about five years ago, including two sheets of ice.

South Suburban Rec District: Purchase the Family Sports rink about three years ago after it went, or would have gone, into bankrupcty.

South Jeffco Rec District: Not sure shat their involvement is with the Edge at Foothills. It almost looks like this was a backdoor effort by the investors, with the hopes of ultimately getting the rec district involved.

Superior: Opened a one sheet facility about three years ago. I don't know much about it.

Hyland Hills Rec District: Opened the Promenade at Westminster about six years ago. It's the premier facility in Denver.