Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirsch

Different Wheel Setup?

I was playing some drop in down out the local rink and while sitting on the bench I was talking to one of the other guys that had come out to play. We were talking about all sorts of crap but started talking about equipment. Both of us were about the same size, me being 6'1" 230. It was a really slick floor and everyone was sliding all over the place so I mentioned I needed to get some new wheels. He then suggested getting a 68 and 76 mm combo instead of the standard 72 and 80 because it would increase grip and menuverability. Obviously I would sacrifice speed but he mentioned that being a big guy we don't have the speed anyway. I thought to myself, if we need more speed why do somethign to hinder it, but he seemed to stand by his suggestion. So being a center, should I switch to the alternate combo or stick with the 72/80. I'm not having any problems as is, but was just wondering if this guy knows what he is talking about.

Lengthy, I know, but had to tell the whole story :)

Well, if smaller wheels meant better grip, you would see cars renowned for handling, like lotuses, with tiny wheels. Maybe thats a bad analogy. But other things being equal, a larger wheel = a larger contact patch = better grip.

like already said, i would think bigger wheels would equate to better grip. unless you're playing on a small rink, i see no advantage to switching to a smaller wheel set up. i'm a big guy too (6'6 240) and i use the 72/80 set up.

The 68mm / 76mm wheel set up, will make transitions, quick stopping, quickness, just about everything you can do in Roller Hockey much better than the 72/80 set up...except for the speed part, but if you are a defensmen it is great or if you are not an accomplished skater it will help you as well.

It also cuts down the weight a little as well.

I am 6' 1" 210 lbs. and I have been playing on 68/76 for 4 years now and it has been a big boost for me. I play mainly "B" League and there is not much room for error, so any advantage I can give myself is utilized.

The typical Inline rink is small, most guys never get up to Top speed anyway, more quick bursts, but you have to experiment and see what works best for you.

For a Center, you might want to stay with the 72/80, if you are not having any problems right now.

Hope this helped you out! :)

I get my Tour Redmax skates later this week, I am going to see once and for all if the Humer is any good and if Tour is truthful in saying that they went back to their old boot designs like the 902 & 962!

I will be posting what I find out from skating on that chassis! :D

Well, if smaller wheels meant better grip, you would see cars renowned for handling, like lotuses, with tiny wheels.  Maybe thats a bad analogy.  But other things being equal, a larger wheel = a larger contact patch = better grip.

I agree about the grip.....and for the same reasons, the claim that the smaller wheels give you "better stopping"...I also have trouble with (.....not your claim, but it is made a little later in this board)

The increased manouverability of smaller wheels has long been accepted as "gospel' in roller hockey equipment lore...but that also depends on your skating style to a great extent...if you make a lot of cuts or direction changes with your weight on the skate..then I would agree with the theory...and practice..If however you are some one that has very quick foot reactions and picks up their feet to change direction.....then the smaller wheels will mean little, and the gain in grip for push and stopping as well as power turns from the larger wheels will be a benefit. If you play enough, you will adapt to either type, but you can ultimately get more out of the larger wheels.

More likely you will see a bigger difference with a new set of the "high grip" wheels(like Rink Rats) than you will with a change in wheel size.

The smaller wheels will put you a bit lower and so possibly make you feel a bit more comfortable at the extremes of your skating angles. This confidence may translate into pushing harder or cornering harder....thus giving you the impression of an improvement....whatever works for you.....

Bringing up another car analogy, it is accepted that larger wheels with more contact area are bad for turning. When people upgrade to larger rims, they typically find it harder to turn the steering wheel. I guess there is a balance between gripping and turning. Bigger wheels and a longer effective contact base will negatively affect your turning radius, but with smaller wheels you might slip out. And as MDE said, this would be more or less applicable depending on your skating style. After reading up the other thread about the hummer chassis and thinking about it, i personally find it hard to comprehend how a small difference in wheel diameter significantly affects contact patch and contact base (in large size skates/chassis). However, I can see how flat and rockered set ups can be a lot different, and have experienced the difference between cheap wheels and nicer ones. (BTW, my rink rats seem to be shedding a bit of urethane on the inside edges from stopping after only 4 games, is this normal?)