Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kwikleecdn

Starting Gear

I've been playing goal with rental stuff for the past month or two now and I'm starting to get better at it and I wanted to make the switch to goalie permanent, so of course I need some gear. Could you guys pitch in and give me some advice and suggestions on what kinda gear to buy, everything I'll need and what the best value is and all that good stuff? I'm planning to buy from hockeygiant and my budget is about 700 bucks. I know that's not alot but thats all I've got. Thanks in advance.

If you are on that small of a budget, I would check around on ebay and try to find some used equipment. All in all unless you go used, I think you are going to have a pretty difficult time trying to stay in that price range (that would buy my helmet and cup). Sorry, but its just an epensive position. Also I would advise you to try www.donsimmons.com, I have had the best success with them over the years. They also make some darn good pads for the price.

Is that including skates and helmet? I would look into the DR 6.2 series of gear. I set up a kid the other day with catch, block and legs for around $500. The 5.2 pants are around $100 and the 5.2 chest and arm is in the same ballpark. That's everything other than skates/helmet for your maximum.

Most of the people I know have become less than pleased with thier Simmons gear and service.

I'm not going to buy a mask, I'm just switching the cage to a Cloutier styled cage and a plastic throat protector tied to that. That saves me a couple hundred. I'm also not buying goalie skates, just gonna use regular skates. www.hockeygiant.com has everything else for about 700 bucks. How are the reebok pads for 300? Anyone have em?

Another good set of beginner level pads are the RBK Senior pads. They have the same look and some of the same features of the pro pad but the materials are different. It is still a solid pad and is great for the money. I know that goaliemonkey.com has the pads for $299...and all the other stuff is pretty cheap too. I believe that you could get into this set of rbk's for about the same price as the DR's that Chadd was talking about, which are a good set of beginner pads as well. I think it depends on what style you play or are learning to play. THe RBK are more for b-fly because they have the flat face and extra knee blocks.

Another good set of beginner level pads are the RBK Senior pads. They have the same look and some of the same features of the pro pad but the materials are different. It is still a solid pad and is great for the money. I know that goaliemonkey.com has the pads for $299...and all the other stuff is pretty cheap too. I believe that you could get into this set of rbk's for about the same price as the DR's that Chadd was talking about, which are a good set of beginner pads as well. I think it depends on what style you play or are learning to play. THe RBK are more for b-fly because they have the flat face and extra knee blocks.

yeah i was gonna get the set of rbk stuff. thanks for the info.

goaliemonkey.com doesnt seem to be working for me right now, or for the past weeks.

Another good set of beginner level pads are the RBK Senior pads.  They have the same look and some of the same features of the pro pad but the materials are different.  It is still a solid pad and is great for the money.  I know that goaliemonkey.com has the pads for $299...and all the other stuff is pretty cheap too.  I believe that you could get into this set of rbk's for about the same price as the DR's that Chadd was talking about, which are a good set of beginner pads as well.  I think it depends on what style you play or are learning to play. THe RBK are more for b-fly because they have the flat face and extra knee blocks.

goaliemonkey.com doesnt seem to be working for me right now, or for the past weeks.

which Internet Browser do you have? Internet Explorer?

Another good set of beginner level pads are the RBK Senior pads.  They have the same look and some of the same features of the pro pad but the materials are different.  It is still a solid pad and is great for the money.  I know that goaliemonkey.com has the pads for $299...and all the other stuff is pretty cheap too.  I believe that you could get into this set of rbk's for about the same price as the DR's that Chadd was talking about, which are a good set of beginner pads as well.  I think it depends on what style you play or are learning to play. THe RBK are more for b-fly because they have the flat face and extra knee blocks.

which Internet Browser do you have? Internet Explorer?

yeah. i thought it was just their site or something cause everything else loads up fine. hockeymonkey doesnt load for me either.

about the leg pad size, im about 5'6" and ive been using 32" or so pads, i was thinking the guy at the shop would help size me up.

I'm not going to buy a mask, I'm just switching the cage to a Cloutier styled cage and a plastic throat protector tied to that. That saves me a couple hundred. I'm also not buying goalie skates, just gonna use regular skates. www.hockeygiant.com has everything else for about 700 bucks. How are the reebok pads for 300? Anyone have em?

Every person who has looked at the DRs I carry and the RBKs that the store around the corner carries has gone with the DR. Maybe that's because the pads are better and maybe it's because I offer package pricing to them when they buy a bunch of stuff.

If you are starting out in ice, I would definitely recommend the DR 6.2 set. I don't think it can be beat for the price. Tons of features and they slide really well on ice. Some people have said that the straps are weak, but they have been fine for me and I play mostly roller (metal chassis cuts into the straps more, plus wheels rub a little on toe bridges and ties).

If you are starting out in ice, I would definitely recommend the DR 6.2 set. I don't think it can be beat for the price. Tons of features and they slide really well on ice. Some people have said that the straps are weak, but they have been fine for me and I play mostly roller (metal chassis cuts into the straps more, plus wheels rub a little on toe bridges and ties).

yeah im playing roller too. what a DR's?

If you are starting out in ice, I would definitely recommend the DR 6.2 set.  I don't think it can be beat for the price.  Tons of features and they slide really well on ice.  Some people have said that the straps are weak, but they have been fine for me and I play mostly roller (metal chassis cuts into the straps more, plus wheels rub a little on toe bridges and ties).

DR is a brand...

How about the Itech 4.8 series? Read somewhere that they're very good for the price...

If you are starting out in ice, I would definitely recommend the DR 6.2 set.  I don't think it can be beat for the price.  Tons of features and they slide really well on ice.  Some people have said that the straps are weak, but they have been fine for me and I play mostly roller (metal chassis cuts into the straps more, plus wheels rub a little on toe bridges and ties).

DR is a brand...

How about the Itech 4.8 series? Read somewhere that they're very good for the price...

When I compared the Itech 4.8 to the DR 6.2, I thought the DR was a much better value. I have accounts with both manufacturers and make the same % on each pad so that doesn't impact my opinion at all.

I'm also not buying goalie skates, just gonna use regular skates.

If you're serious about playing goal buying skates is way more important than getting good pads or gloves. You are putting yourself at a serious disadvantage using player skates, and the longer you use them to play goal the more difficult it will be to switch to goal skates. I ref and play goal, and switching between the skates is very noticeable. I would suggest buying the minimum level of pads, etc. you need to be safely protected, and use the leftover money for skates.

I really don't think you need goalie skates for roller. For ice I would definitely recommend goalie skates. I use player skates as a roller goalie. Just make sure you have a flat frame.

What about the Tour GTL series?? (Pads and gloves?) I started with those too. I'm playing roller-hockey with them my second season as "so-called" "full-time" goalie (I used to play too) and the gear keeps on doing it's job ... I've paid € 208 (about 247 USD) for the pads, € 50 (60 USD) for the blocker and € 78 (92 USD) for the catcher. I found everything even cheaper on internet, tough my parents don't trust internet-shopping, so I had to go to the local hockey-shop ... (Canadiensport in Belgium)

What about the Tour GTL series?? (Pads and gloves?) I started with those too. I'm playing roller-hockey with them my second season as "so-called" "full-time" goalie (I used to play too) and the gear keeps on doing it's job ... I've paid € 208 (about 247 USD) for the pads, € 50 (60 USD) for the blocker and € 78 (92 USD) for the catcher. I found everything even cheaper on internet, tough my parents don't trust internet-shopping, so I had to go to the local hockey-shop ... (Canadiensport in Belgium)

i cant find any gtl catchers or blockers at the store im going to.

could you link me to a site that sells it?

i cant find any gtl catchers or blockers at the store im going to.

could you link me to a site that sells it?

http://hallfitness.com/prod/1326210_tour-g...ie-blocker.html

http://store.yahoo.com/discounthockey-store/ind_27.html

here are two shops, I'll have a closer look on the internet later this night ...

Good luck in finding the gear you want, and I wish you much fun in front of the net

Stef

Does anybody have any feedback about Mission gear? I have a son (the youngest, of course) thinking about goalie, and I've been looking at the Motion Lite pads. I've been impressed with most Mission gear as a player, but what about their goalie stuff? BTW, he's only 8. He's already been playing ice hockey for 3 years.